Air Restrictors in F1

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Zynerji

Air Restrictors in F1

A question that I have is: if the FIA mandated an air restrictor (similar to STR in 2006 with the V10), would that bring the engines to parity?

If the restrictor was mandated (70mm maybe), would that reduce the spending on development for performance?

Thanks

wuzak

Re: Air Restrictors in F1

Zynerji wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 01:03
A question that I have is: if the FIA mandated an air restrictor (similar to STR in 2006 with the V10), would that bring the engines to parity?
No more than a fuel flow limit, I would guess.

And for Honda and Renault to be equal to Ferrari and Merc they might have to do balance of performance - no thanks.

Zynerji wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 01:03
If the restrictor was mandated (70mm maybe), would that reduce the spending on development for performance?
I doubt it.

Zynerji

Re: Air Restrictors in F1

The manufacturers have built the most efficient petrol burners in existence because of the fuel flow limits.

Before those limits however, it was always about pushing more air per cycle so they could burn more. I would expect an air restrictor to be more of a max power limiter, as its the same for everyone on track, instead of hiding all of the magic in the custom petrol.