FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
factory_p
13
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:04 am

FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by factory_p » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:12 pm

https://www.f1technical.net/news/21960

So what do we know about it?

I read X-Trac was preparing an offer. Now that the deadline is passed, has the list of candidates been unveiled?

jjn9128
197
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by jjn9128 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:29 pm

Final decision will be made between 15-30 April. I expect Xtrac to get the deal though, almost like Pirelli getting the tyre deal.
#aerogandalf

Maplesoup
16
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:25 pm

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by Maplesoup » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:18 pm

Quite possible one of the existing teams gets it as well. Williams McLaren and Red Bull would all be in the running as they all have secondary companies separate from their race teams that can produce the gear cassettes.

McLaren already have the tender for supplying the ECU and provide most teams with complex electronics for their steering wheels.

DiogoBrand
91
User avatar
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 6:02 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by DiogoBrand » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:52 pm

I think it's a good decision. F1 gearbox designs don't translate to road cars, they are relatively not very interesting, and standardizing them will also allow for more compatibility between power units. The fact that the teams will be able to develop their own external casings is also good.

NL_Fer
52
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:48 am

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by NL_Fer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:40 pm

Pretty shitty for Williams, if they would restructure their outdated gearbox facility to a more modern development level and than all would be obsolete in 2021 with a standard box.

roy928tt
1
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:55 am

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by roy928tt » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:52 pm

You'd have to suspect that Williams were confident enough that such a move was imminent, That they stopped development on the gearbox side of things. Also it is only the gearbox "cassette" that is being standardised the actual housing will still be created by the teams and is where Williams "lag behind" the others. Sure Cast Aluminium might not be as sexy as Carbon Fibre but it is very much fit for purpose. I'd be VERY surprised if the Cast Aluminium gearbox housing is in any way responsible for the poor position Williams find themselves in.

Chubbs
0
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:28 pm

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by Chubbs » Tue May 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Have there been any updates on this?
Chubbs

saviour stivala
-6
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by saviour stivala » Tue May 14, 2019 2:28 pm

One question, does teams have a say, does teams have to agree to this frenzy trend to standardize the F1 car?.

saviour stivala
-6
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by saviour stivala » Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 pm

The first batch out for tender so far:- gearbox cassette. Brake-by-wire system. Brake friction material (disc and pads). Master cylinders. The second batch to tender is expected to go out soon.

jjn9128
197
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by jjn9128 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:01 am

saviour stivala wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 pm
The first batch out for tender so far:- gearbox cassette. Brake-by-wire system. Brake friction material (disc and pads). Master cylinders. The second batch to tender is expected to go out soon.
You're forgetting wheel rims and tyres. Also last night they started the tender process for fuel system parts - the pumps and pipes inside the fuel cell.
#aerogandalf

saviour stivala
-6
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by saviour stivala » Fri May 17, 2019 8:28 am

jjn9128 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:01 am
saviour stivala wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 pm
The first batch out for tender so far:- gearbox cassette. Brake-by-wire system. Brake friction material (disc and pads). Master cylinders. The second batch to tender is expected to go out soon.
You're forgetting wheel rims and tyres. Also last night they started the tender process for fuel system parts - the pumps and pipes inside the fuel cell.
Yes you are correct, I left out wheel rims, but tyres no because they were already tendered for many years now. the tender they started last night is what I said is the one next in-line. I believe that there will be a lot more, till they render the car as a one make kit-car, but we will have to wait and see what the present four manufacturers will except or not, in short we will have to wait and see which way this power struggle push will end.

jjn9128
197
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by jjn9128 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:21 am

It's not a power struggle. It's coming out of F1 strategy group meetings which is the teams, FOM and the FIA. All parties are in agreement to standardize non-performance differentiating parts.
#aerogandalf

saviour stivala
-6
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by saviour stivala » Fri May 17, 2019 12:59 pm

It is nothing other than a power struggle, F1 has been there before. But now the commercial rights holders through their poacher turned game keeper are hell bend to rendering the formula one car into a buy, assemble and go racing car. As to all agreeing to standardize, we will have to wait for the results of the outcome.

factory_p
13
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:04 am

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by factory_p » Fri May 17, 2019 2:47 pm

jjn9128 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:21 am
It's not a power struggle. It's coming out of F1 strategy group meetings which is the teams, FOM and the FIA. All parties are in agreement to standardize non-performance differentiating parts.
Or it's a political move from the FIA to pressurize teams on some other topics. Like "see guys? We are ready to proceed with it. We have a manufacturer and all. So either you agree to ban this or that technology to reduce cost, or we impose a standard gearbox"

roon
435
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: FIA tender for standard F1 gearboxes

Post by roon » Fri May 17, 2019 6:09 pm

DiogoBrand wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:52 pm
I think it's a good decision. F1 gearbox designs don't translate to road cars, they are relatively not very interesting...
Some of the seamless shift mechanisms are quite elegant.

factory_p wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:47 pm
jjn9128 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:21 am
It's not a power struggle. It's coming out of F1 strategy group meetings which is the teams, FOM and the FIA. All parties are in agreement to standardize non-performance differentiating parts.
Or it's a political move from the FIA to pressurize teams on some other topics. Like "see guys? We are ready to proceed with it. We have a manufacturer and all. So either you agree to ban this or that technology to reduce cost, or we impose a standard gearbox"
Banning tech doesn't affect a team's expenditures. What is saved in manufacturing cost finds its way to R&D. Look at the current engine formula. Yes, far fewer engines are used per year, but their development cost is likely comparable to the price of buying forty or so NA V10s per year.

Another example is bodywork. Simplifying it via regulations has no effect on an R&D budget which intends to make a fast car.