Power output limited formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Jolle

Re: Power output limited formula

MatsNorway wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 09:49
If you also allow CoG to be lower, equal to the MGUH removed you claw back some cornering performance

If you allow them to run flat fuel flow from 0 rpm to Max rpm you claw back some efficiency. can you guess how much? i have no ideal.

And if you do that you would also get better sounding engines with turbo lag that could improve overtaking.
Why would they sound better at lower rpm? they would run a fatter fuel mix at times and the turbo will be taking out less of the engine sound as it has to be spun by the engine only.

Add minor tweaks to the engine formula such as free bore and stroke ratio and you could look at a ICE that is more efficient, cheaper, lighter and that sounds better and is more relevant for road car development.

I honestly do not understand why FIA do not go that route for the future. RPM will not improve these engines without increasing fuel flow as well.
Why would RPM increase with a higher fuel flow? With this kind of turbo tech, high RPM is not part of the power equation, air is pushed in the engine instead of pulled in, like in a NA ICE. Because of this to get the least internal resistance and the best and most complete burn of all the fuel available, you need the RPM as low as possible.

Restricting the design of the engine (bore, stroke, capacity, angles, etc) is a huge cost saving. Just imagine how many tests they have to perform on different layouts only to get it wrong.

MatsNorway

I did not state rpm would increase. But FIA is looking to make the RPM go higher by having a different fuel flow curve.
They want to do this to improve sound.

I claim the MGUH combined with lean runnning engines at high rpm causes the tame sounding engines.
So by instead going for a non MGUH engine with flat fuel flow and a more open bore and stroke ratio, i think you get a much more relevant engine that can be cheaper in the long run, perform similar as a power plant and have better sound. There really is no down sides for us fans. The teams might fire a few electrical engineers in the long run. Saving costs.

As for development, they (Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault ++) will trow whatever money they get from the budget at any problem. But Williams will get a cheaper engine to buy in the long run. There is simply less stuff to produce for the power plant..

Less parts less costs.
KISS -> Keep it stupid simple/Keep it simple stupid
je suis charlie

A touch of genius is the simplest thing.

DRS is like supports on a bicycle[/size]

roon

MatsNorway wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 16:52
The teams might fire a few electrical engineers in the long run. Saving costs.

Less parts less costs.
By this logic they should go full electric. Potentially one moving part, several solid state. Far more personel in the engine, fuel, and transmission departments to thin out.

Regardless. Ending a cost in one area does not decrease a team's budget. Those funds will find their way elsewhere.

What may ultimately decrease a team's budget is the elimination of engineering competition within the sport via spec cars. This loses a percentage of fan and sponsor base. It also loses R&D professionals, who will seek higher pay and challenge elsewhere. As F1 becomes less of a technical spectacle and more of a driver spectacle, budgets will shift toward drivers, crews, and strategy, likely shrinking overall to levels seen in every other professional sport.

MatsNorway

I just hate budget caps and spec cars. But i am ok with some spec parts. ECU allready is. And gears in the gearbox is ok too if they do it. Standard fasteners would be nice to see too. Standard wheel nuts would be nice. And so on.

Formula E will be that full electric you speak of. Gradually opening up the rules is planned for more interest in FE. Do they still run fan boost? :P

F1 will lose its magic if it goes too much spec. Everyone knew who schumacher was back in the day. Few knows who Vettel is.
je suis charlie

A touch of genius is the simplest thing.

DRS is like supports on a bicycle[/size]

crbassassin

Jolle wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 14:04
Even Ferrari abandoned their V12 for a V10 with great opposition from their fans and ford followed suit. Only then the rule that all engines had to be V10's.
Initially the rules didn't mandate the engine configuration. The FIA banned V12s after hearing Ferrari was going to introduce V12s in the 2001 season. The FIA didn't want an engine war to make V10s obsolete. This is all I could find:
In 1999 Ferrari was considering to go back to the future with a brand new V12 engine. Team technical manager Luca Marmorini was working hard on studying the chance to return the legendary Ferrari V12 engines. At the “Gestione Sportiva” section of the Ferrari factory in Maranello, a kind of secret “Area 51” of the Scuderia, has been designing and simulating a new idea for a V12 engine on a powerful computer. The V12 engine is said to be a crossing between a new generation of very powerful engines and an advanced version of the 048 V10. A kind of virtual engine. However, in a test-cell , an experimental bi-cilindrical section of the first stage of the new V12 is extensively tested. Only a section, but it’s an important starting point.

Cold Fussion

roon wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 18:49
By this logic they should go full electric. Potentially one moving part, several solid state. Far more personel in the engine, fuel, and transmission departments to thin out.
With all the delays to the new engine formula you have to wonder at what point F1 seriously considers the switch to full electric.
MatsNorway wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 21:46
Formula E will be that full electric you speak of. Gradually opening up the rules is planned for more interest in FE. Do they still run fan boost? :P
I doubt FE will ever be anything other than a spec series.

Big Tea

Cold Fussion wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 11:20
roon wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 18:49
With all the delays to the new engine formula you have to wonder at what point F1 seriously considers the switch to full electric.
MatsNorway wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 21:46
I doubt FE will ever be anything other than a spec series.
It would be nice to see it be allowed, rather than a mandated full switch. We would then see real life comparisons and a bleedover into road cars. If ICE / Hybrid still seems the better option, it is something for the boffins to consider
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.