Brake System On F1 Cars

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Slo Poke

Re: Brake System On F1 Cars

Tommy Cookers wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 11:45
Slo Poke wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 09:49
.... Ask any articulated truck driver which drive wheel spins first on any type of road surface and all will state the left or near side wheel. That’s because of different length drive shafts, the left one is a little shorter. ....
imo not so
fundamentally which wheel spins when driving straight .....
(best shown in a traditional ie Hotchkiss drive vehicle) is due to the direction of rotation of the prop shaft
ie the crown wheel is trying to climb - this is the cause of contact load increase on one wheel and decrease on the other

torque tubes (diluting this effect) were common (before chassis-mounted CWPs eg IRS or De Dion did the same)
or it was cancelled in some race cars eg 20s M-Bs and 30s Alfa Romeos by using 2 'handed' propshafts/CWPs

regarding cornering
remember there's lots of toe effects eg rear wheel (not just Ackerman)
Tommy Cookers. So what is happening to make the same wheel spin when reversing?

Tommy Cookers

Slo Poke wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 12:23
So what is happening to make the same wheel spin when reversing?
nobody mentioned that
it could be that way eg if some axle casing (eg anti-rotational) locating link was used to correct contact load

and ...
one or two cars in early F1 used offset live axles (ie one half shaft shortened) - by conversion from the road-relevant
RETRO-EDITS imo these could give less reduction in contact load if designed for this (but possibly more if designed otherwise)

EG a 1962 Corvette at max torque in 1st gear increased contact load by 167 lb (left rear wheel) and reduced it by 167 lb (right)
so (with an open differential) reducing the overall traction

but eg a leftwards-CWP-offset axle would increase left contact load by more but reduce right contact load by less
though in this respect a worm type axle would seem to be even better

the contact load redistribution is slightly relieved as tyre compliance acts in the path to ground of this CWP 'roll' moment
(as this slightly changes body attitude and suspension spring loads and deflections)
with chassis-mounted CWPs suspension spring compliance is included in the path to ground of the CWP moment
this (usefully and famously) relieves most of the contact load redistribution
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 22 Nov 2019, 15:48, edited 4 times in total.

Slo Poke

Tommy Cookers wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 13:20
Slo Poke wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 12:23
So what is happening to make the same wheel spin when reversing?
nobody mentioned that
it could be that way eg if some axle casing (eg anti-rotational) locating link was used to correct contact load

and ...
one or two cars in early F1 used offset live axles (ie one half shaft shortened) - a convenient accident of history
these would give less reduction in contact load
Scarab ? then Lotus 16 and gas turbine 4wd then many 4wd maybe offset (but had chassis-mounted final drives of course)
nothing since ?
(and modern tracks have 17 corners so aren't 'handed' like some of the old ones)
Tommy Cookers: A fine reply and as such I offer no critique on it. Although I read a lot between the lines of everything I see, read and listen to and again, as such I would think there was a little digging done primarily in educational type literature to confound the initial post you responded to and my last comment. If I’m right you’re referring to anti-tramp linkages but that’s everything mechanical, whereas I would like to pose you a personal question otherwise it’s likely to be this and that all day. So! Why are you so reluctant to openly accept that an advancement in differentials has been made?

Tommy Cookers

Slo Poke wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 14:17
....there was a little digging done primarily in educational type literature
....If I’m right you’re referring to anti-tramp linkages
...a personal question ...Why are you so reluctant to openly accept that an advancement in differentials has been made?
no digging - I write first and check later (and then I couldn't find anything about offsets)

not anti-tramp as such - that is a dynamic effect not a steady state effect

a differential is unlikely to cause or permit 1 side's wheels to spin in both forward and reverse travel ?
yes the articulated truck is an interesting case - but the design requirements/regulations seem amusingly unsophisticated

though I have been a pioneer of posts related to the dynamic effects of the F1 MGU-K under acceleration and braking ...
I can't see where posters here are going with the F1 differential being so limited by rules