Do modern seamless F1 transmission still give a violent push upon gear engagement?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru

Re: Do modern seamless F1 transmission still give a violent push upon gear engagement?

To summarise, there are two distinct points here. One is resolved IMO and the other is somewhat unclear.

1. Are the current F1 gearboxes "seamless" ie no interruption to torque transmission? This is resolved - there is no interruption during upshift. There is a period when BOTH gears are engaged and load is shared and progressively transferring from the lower gear to the higher gear. When the load on the higher gear reaches zero, it is disengaged before the backlash has taken up and negative torque begins. Whether this is done with precise actuator timing or a mechanism that disengages the higher gear on overrun is not 100% clear.

2. What happens to the energy released when the engine is rapidly slowed by 15% or so (even if switched off) during upshift? There are a few options - a brief clutch slip, a brief harvest with the MGUK, a spike in torque output (how much energy are we talking about ie what is the rotating inertia of an F1 engine?
je suis charlie

gold333

Re: Do modern seamless F1 transmission still give a violent push upon gear engagement?

Thanks :/ But my initial question in this thread was more for the feel unfortunately. Not really for engineering descriptions :)

We are programming a simulator after all. Instead of an engineering answer I wish someone who had driven the old sequential semi auto boxes (92-04) and also driven the post 2006 seamless boxes could have described the difference in tactile feedback between both gear changes.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

Jolle

gold333 wrote:
06 May 2020, 03:51
Thanks :/ But my initial question in this thread was more for the feel unfortunately. Not really for engineering descriptions :)

We are programming a simulator after all. Instead of an engineering answer I wish someone who had driven the old sequential semi auto boxes (92-04) and also driven the post 2006 seamless boxes could have described the difference in tactile feedback between both gear changes.
Have you watched the video I posted about the feel on a MotoGP bike? That’s all about feel. With the lack of actual F1 driver to do a video like that, seems to me a good place to start.

NL_Fer

gold333 wrote:

The biggest difference is that the old gearbox has an interruption of power. A short feeling of decelleration before the shift, followed by the return of power, a push in the back.

A seamless box has no interruption of power. But a short torque peak must be felt when a higher gear is engaged and the engine rpm reduces.

I believe this peak is adjusted for every circuit/session or corner.

saviour stivala

Jolle wrote:
06 May 2020, 08:55
gold333 wrote:

Have you watched the video I posted about the feel on a MotoGP bike? That’s all about feel. With the lack of actual F1 driver to do a video like that, seems to me a good place to start.
An interesting read;- ‘visordown – Honda’s motogp gearbox explained’.