FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

The Fia needs a quick look back. They already have this rule on the chassis side.
You have to qualify with your race setup. And what did the teams do? they race with the quali setup, making the drivers nurture a one lap wonder trough a 300km race.

Because on most tracks track position is very. important, teams will do this with the engine too.

dans79

notsofast wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 18:37
Technical changes will benefit the teams that are most proficient in technology. The gap to Mercedes will only get larger.

If FIA wants to do something that will be "exciting" to the average fan, they should leave the constructor's championship alone, and instead, rotate the drivers among the cars. Twenty races, twenty cars, twenty drivers. Each driver gets one turn in each car during the season. That would make an "exciting" driver's championship while still awarding the best constructor.
I don't think many fans would go for that, as external forces like at what track you end up starting in the worst car would play a big part in the championship.

For example I wouldn't want to be in a williams in Monaco, A Hass in hungary, and an Alpha in Singapore.
197 104 103 7

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Jolle wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 18:46
The Fia needs a quick look back. They already have this rule on the chassis side.
You have to qualify with your race setup. And what did the teams do? they race with the quali setup, making the drivers nurture a one lap wonder trough a 300km race.

Because on most tracks track position is very. important, teams will do this with the engine too.
Unless I am wrong, team are currently allowed a very limited number of changes to their engine modes throughout the season so in terms of optimizing the engine mapping for each track they are already quite restricted, while on the aero side the only limit is how many parts you can throw at it each weekend.

Imposing a single engine mode for all tracks and all sessions would be the equivalent of asking them to run the same aero everywhere.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

notsofast wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 18:37
Technical changes will benefit the teams that are most proficient in technology. The gap to Mercedes will only get larger.

If FIA wants to do something that will be "exciting" to the average fan, they should leave the constructor's championship alone, and instead, rotate the drivers among the cars. Twenty races, twenty cars, twenty drivers. Each driver gets one turn in each car during the season. That would make an "exciting" driver's championship while still awarding the best constructor.
Ridiculous proposal, inherently unfair, too much luck involved. What if a driver gets car A which weak in Monaco and car b which weak in Monza?

F1 should be about competence and excellence, not primarily about luck of the draw.

Jolle
Jolle

Mudflap wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 19:00
Jolle wrote:

Unless I am wrong, team are currently allowed a very limited number of changes to their engine modes throughout the season so in terms of optimizing the engine mapping for each track they are already quite restricted, while on the aero side the only limit is how many parts you can throw at it each weekend.

Imposing a single engine mode for all tracks and all sessions would be the equivalent of asking them to run the same aero everywhere.
I ment the parc ferme rules. They set up a car for the ultimate hot lap, can't change a thing between that and the race and then drive like on eggs.

Engine mapping is now all free, you can update whenever you want or switch whenever you need. I guess the idea will be that you have to race in the setting you qualified in.

Racing would be so much better if they were allowed to change certain aero setting before the race, making the car's less fragile following each other for instance.

GPR-A

What is the benefit of forcing teams to run the quali mode in race? Drivers and teams would quickly get adapted to accurately throttling the pedal to manage the acceleration and reduce the stress on PU in no time, along with lift and cost. Engine manufacturers spend time to add hell of lot of reliability on the PU components to then run the quali mode for longer.

Million dollar question is, what happens if Mercedes outsmarts others in this aspect also? If Mercedes starts running away with races reliably using their quali mode and other engines start failing due to this, trying to chase Mercedes? How will they fix it? I bet, many people on this planet would cry foul that, such a thing was done to help Mercedes when that happens! As usual, there will be no "Plan B" with FIA.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Jolle wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 19:12
Mudflap wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 19:00
Jolle wrote:

I ment the parc ferme rules. They set up a car for the ultimate hot lap, can't change a thing between that and the race and then drive like on eggs.

Engine mapping is now all free, you can update whenever you want or switch whenever you need. I guess the idea will be that you have to race in the setting you qualified in.

Racing would be so much better if they were allowed to change certain aero setting before the race, making the car's less fragile following each other for instance.
I was pretty sure there was a limit on number of engine software versions. Maybe it was just a proposal that never happened ?

This was all I could find with a quick search:

https://www.racefans.net/2020/06/19/fia ... s-package/
New cost controls have also been introduced. These include limits on the number of engine software versions, fuel formulations and oil specifications teams may use during a season.

etusch

rogazilla wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 15:29
If the team uses the mode for 10 second in the race... does that count as one of the race mode?
If they use it even one whole lap it must not be counted as race mode. But even if one whole lap usage in the race counted as race mode also damages the car's race who did that in race if it is not last lap because of drained battery. As I commented in redbull thread it may be mandated to use higher mode for at least 3 laps back to back with full throttle by making same lap time each one. And when they do that their battery must not be drained and this highest mode usage must not be last laps of race and at least 3 laps before pit stop.
Do you like my rule ? :lol: :lol:

dans79

etusch wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 19:34
rogazilla wrote:
If the team uses the mode for 10 second in the race... does that count as one of the race mode?
If they use it even one whole lap it must not be counted as race mode. But even if one whole lap usage in the race counted as race mode also damages the car's race who did that in race if it is not last lap because of drained battery. As I commented in redbull thread it may be mandated to use higher mode for at least 3 laps back to back with full throttle by making same lap time each one. And when they do that their battery must not be drained and this highest mode usage must not be last laps of race and at least 3 laps before pit stop.
That would never work as the midfield's lap time is far to dependent on those in front of them.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

Don't allow a power knob that goes to 11, make it stop at 10 :mrgreen:
Or even standardised power knobs supplied by FIA
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

etusch

dans79 wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 19:40
etusch wrote:
rogazilla wrote:
That would never work as the midfield's lap time is far to dependent on those in front of them.
In fact it results as just what is aimed

dans79

etusch wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 19:46
dans79 wrote:
etusch wrote:

what, penalties for everyone except the leader who could actually do 3 laps like that?
197 104 103 7

etusch

dans79 wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 19:52
etusch wrote:
dans79 wrote:

what, penalties for everyone except the leader who could actually do 3 laps like that?
If someone used highest mode and couldn't get pole, if he is at back of some other one then he just uses it. As you said he has good reason to stay slow.

Big Tea

etusch wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 20:04
dans79 wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 19:52
etusch wrote:

If someone used highest mode and couldn't get pole, if he is at back of some other one then he just uses it. As you said he has good reason to stay slow.
But if someone had used qualli mode, even if it failed to get pole, he would probably be infront of everyone who had not used it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

Honeslty, I see this as nothing more than another half baked attempt to appease the fans of drivers/teams that aren't winning. As history has shown, it will have many negative consequences just like every other time they tried it.
197 104 103 7