What about limiting PU power instead of fuel flow?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Dr. Acula

Re: What about limiting PU power instead of fuel flow?

Zynerji wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 02:54
Why not standardize the fuel and lubricants like tyres then?

It would do more for power parity than most other "fixes".
Would make it unintresting for the oil companies to sponsor some teams and many F1 teams already struggling finding sponsors.

Zynerji

Dr. Acula wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 18:02
Zynerji wrote:

Would make it unintresting for the oil companies to sponsor some teams and many F1 teams already struggling finding sponsors.
Too bad?

JordanMugen

dave kumar wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 17:08
I agree, the appeal of the formula is that the same rules apply to everyone and then you try and build the fastest car to those rules. If we take away that and give a boost (say in max fuel flow) to some teams to try and level the playing field, we lose this essential part of F1's appeal.
Power unit performance is not a team performance issue though, it's a power unit supplier performance issue. :)

One notes that Red Bull would advocate differently if they were supplied customer Mercedes High Performance Powertrain power units, but Mercedes High Performance Powertrain have continually failed to move towards agreeing a deal with Red Bull Racing even despite Aston Martin sponsorship where Aston Martin road cars use Mercedes power units... (Meanwhile Mercedes HPP now have no issue supplying the works Aston Martin team, so the whole thing is rather bizarre.)

In that scenario, Mercedes HPP developments would benefit Red Bull Racing and Mercedes GP Petronas equally, and Red Bull would have no reason to advocate for a power unit freeze or performance convergence. ;)

gruntguru

Zynerji wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 23:02
Dr. Acula wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Too bad?
Too bad the FIA won't see it that way.
je suis charlie

Zynerji

gruntguru wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 11:24
Zynerji wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 23:02
Dr. Acula wrote:

Too bad?
Too bad the FIA won't see it that way.
Well, the FIA did create the biofuel. That tells me their stance on Big Oil. Taking them on could be the PR play of the FIA going forward to build their "Green" image.

nzjrs

In an otherwise standardized or restricted engine development formula, What would be the downsides of a "fuel war" where the various oil/fuel companies fight over producing the most powerful high percentage biofuel petrol blend?

Zynerji

nzjrs wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 14:33
In an otherwise standardized or restricted engine development formula, What would be the downsides of a "fuel war" where the various oil/fuel companies fight over producing the most powerful high percentage biofuel petrol blend?
I believe they have done that for years now.

Didn't Ferrari fuel recently get an additive that was more expensive than gold by weight? Is it even conceivable that Petronas is the real reason that Merc dominate?

Standard fuel/oil, standard tyres = Better racing.

nzjrs

Zynerji wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 17:55
nzjrs wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 14:33
I believe they have done that for years now.

Didn't Ferrari fuel recently get an additive that was more expensive than gold by weight? Is it even conceivable that Petronas is the real reason that Merc dominate?

Standard fuel/oil, standard tyres = Better racing.
True, I kind of posted this in the wrong thread (it should have been in the 2026 engine one).

I was trying to get at something like "oil companies love bio fuel and have lots of money and therefor maybe make the biofuel content 5x more than it is right now because then they would spend lots of money on the teams and making biofuel and then get to advertise it and tbh its more exciting for them to advertise biofuel than what they advertise now (lubricants)". Maybe.

Zynerji

So, a bio-fuel war for a few years (to improve the breed) then standardize?

I could get on board with that.

Pingguest

Talking about a power limit, the new Le Mans Hypercars will have one. How will that limit be enforced the ACO?

Zynerji

Pingguest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 15:19
Talking about a power limit, the new Le Mans Hypercars will have one. How will that limit be enforced the ACO?
I hate to say it, but air restrictor plates seem to be brutally simple, yet perfectly suited for an engine leveling formula.

Xwang

Pingguest wrote:
If I have understood correctly, ACO (or better FIA) will use a torque meter to enforce the rule.

nzjrs

Zynerji wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 14:01
So, a bio-fuel war for a few years (to improve the breed) then standardize?

I could get on board with that.
Yeah exactly, that's what I'm hoping for.

The rest of the PU can be more standardized from the outset IMO, but let the oils companies attach their brand to hybrid bio-fuel PUs and spend like crazy.

NL_Fer

Pingguest wrote:
They will have torque sensors. Actually the limit 500kw for ICE + Electric combined. So even a better hybrid system, will not make the car faster, only more efficient.

Zynerji

NL_Fer wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 21:27
Pingguest wrote:
They will have torque sensors. Actually the limit 500kw for ICE + Electric combined. So even a better hybrid system, will not make the car faster, only more efficient.
Fuel weight war then..🙄