2021/22 Engine versions and upgrades

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
nevill3

2021/22 Engine versions and upgrades

So with an engine development freeze agreed today where are the teams regarding development?

I presume most manufacturers will be bringing a new specification of last years power unit for the start of the season and as far as I understand they will be allowed one "upgrade" per power unit element during the 2021 season.

Will the manufacturers be allowed to bring a new specification for 2022 as one last final upgrade before the big freeze?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

LM10

Re: 2021/22 Engine versions and upgrades

nevill3 wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 22:19
So with an engine development freeze agreed today where are the teams regarding development?

I presume most manufacturers will be bringing a new specification of last years power unit for the start of the season and as far as I understand they will be allowed one "upgrade" per power unit element during the 2021 season.

Will the manufacturers be allowed to bring a new specification for 2022 as one last final upgrade before the big freeze?
Yes, they will.

adrianjordan

I haven't seen anything yet confirming whether it's a straight freeze or whether Ferrari got their desired performance equalisation thing as well.

Anyone have anything official yet?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 04:24
I haven't seen anything yet confirming whether it's a straight freeze or whether Ferrari got their desired performance equalisation thing as well.

Anyone have anything official yet?
short vid here

Bot they say 'Should be finalised in next few days' So maybe not quite set in stone yet?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nevill3

According to the long running Honda thread on here Honda have rushed through the proposed upgrade scheduled for next year, and are running it this year, if I have understood that very long thread correctly.

Has any other engine manufacturers done something similar, If the Honda upgrade is reliable then a further mid season upgrade followed by a final upgrade pre 2022 could see a superior engine to the rest of the field, unless of course Mercedes has a beast of an upgrade for this years season opener, Ferrari have solved all its flaws from last year and Renault have indeed copied the split turbo idea that was introduced by Mercedes.

So many questions can anybody shed some light on a few of the points.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

godlameroso

Seminar detailing technology in fuel combustion and bio fuels.
Saishū kōnā