What will come after the 2.4 V8?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ringo

Re: What will come after the 2.4 V8?

the public wont lose interest. They dont care, or know much, about green technologies.
They're good for the public and manufacturers yes, but the cost is more relevant.
A simple Kers unit, turbo 4 cylinder with thermo electric exhuast heat generator and call it a day.
The cars shouldn't have more than what is commercially available. This keeps cost and complexity down.
For Sure!!

xpensive

What matters to this so labelled sport and its sponsors is attention, not just in any which shape or form mind you, while me and Chap would just love to see the Can Am gas-guzzling tankers at Road America, we never will for political resons.

MrE might seem to run things, but in reality the powers that be are sponsors and manufactuers, those who are footing the bill. If they value coming across as "clima-latte-drinkers"or "feed the populas with grit", that's the way it's gonna be.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

riff_raff

xpensive is correct. F1 will always do what appears to be politically correct. Sponsorship money comes out of a company's advertising budget, and not out of their engineering or R&D budget. Those advertising budget dollars are controlled by people primarily concerned with public relations and perceived corporate image, and not with impressing gearheads with their technical prowess.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

mx_tifoso

So where should said gearheads direct their attention if they want to be impressed with technical prowess?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

rjsa

riff_raff wrote:xpensive is correct. F1 will always do what appears to be politically correct. Sponsorship money comes out of a company's advertising budget, and not out of their engineering or R&D budget. Those advertising budget dollars are controlled by people primarily concerned with public relations and perceived corporate image, and not with impressing gearheads with their technical prowess.
I agree that marketing rules, but I beg to differ about whether the PC crew is in charge. They are not, they will play the dirtiest they can get away with.

Take tobacco sponsorship as an example. The F1's journey to east started because such countries (with Brazil where I am from included)would allow tobacco ads. Marlboro is still paying Ferrari's bill, despite not being able to showcase it's brand.

autogyro

Glad to see this recognition in the fundamental change in F1 that occured when the commercial 'Dream' took over in the 1960s.
Before then it was a nationaly driven sport and the cars were painted in national colours to show this. National pride was the motivator.
I wonder how many on here know what the colours were?
The drive was to show a countries technical expertise and sporting brilliance.
Today it is a much dilluted billboard for people to sell water with sugar and bubbles in it to the gullible public.
X Factor on wheels.

segedunum

'Relevance' pertains to the activities of various companies involved in Formula 1 and inevitably that is all about marketing. It's been that way ever since engine regulations were mucked about with in the sixties and we've been in this exact position before in the eighties. So, if 'green' turbo engines are flavour of the month to try and give companies a certain image then that's what we'll have so, VW might well be involved at some point afterall.

I'd personally like to see a set of regulations that encourages participation from all rather than locking out any form of movement except for 'reliability' changes. This homologation nonsense has been a step backwards.

Steven
Owner

I've split discussion of the actually decided 2013 rules to a seperate topic.
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9259