P.U.R.E Appointment

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
noname
noname

Re: P.U.R.E. Appointment

xpensive wrote:(...)
Sorry if the joke was not of highest quality.

But joking aside; knowing how careful with spendings is Peugeot Sport and having the reasons to see them racing in Le Mans at least till 2014, I doubt if they are behind P.U.R.E.
Last edited by noname on 17 Aug 2011, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Personally, I've been finding the swirling rumors that <insert manufacturer name here> is behind Pollock's latest venture quite entertaining, much like the games of name the Honda-buyer in the winter of '08 (yes, I was around here back then, despite the joining date displayed to the left). The problem is that no matter how logical the investment patterns may seem, humans have brains that are hard wired to find patterns in a way that leads to a lot of false positives.

My previous post was was intended to demonstrate how restructuring parts of an idea, whilst discarding irrelevant pieces and adding that final "intuitive" leap, can lead to jumping from meaningless data to a conclusion that supports your own preconceptions. Sure, it may be fun to speculate, but it is pretty meaningless without hard evidence : all people are seeing is what they would like to happen.

Hell, until the engine hits the track, I'm viewing this whole project as potential vapourware.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

The above posts are amusing reading, back to what do we really know about P.U.R.E. ?

1. Pollock hired Gilles Simon
2. P.U.R.E. selected TEOS to develop and build a new F1 engine
3. TEOS is led by Jean-francois Nicolino, (ex head of R+D at Mecachrome, please correct if this is wrong)
4. TEOS has Mecachrome as a partner

So if Mecachrome is really the designer and builder with TEOS as the middleman is Gilles really there just to spec out the engine or to help design it. Also since Mecachrome already supply parts to other manufacturers is TEOS just a way of trying to appease the politicians in the sport keeping Gilles away from the other manufacturers parts.

I also don't see any buildings, website or materials with the name P.U.R.E. on them, not spending their $50m trust fund so far from what I can see.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@ Gatecrasher

There really is very little to go on. Hence the speculation why its so blatantly obvious that Volkswagen...sorry...Peugeot....excuse me...Um (insert manufacturer name here)is being bandied about as the likely sugar daddy.

Personally I can see them melting away a la USF1. The whole model reeks of oppurtunism, and 2014 is a long way away in F1 terms.
Who knows, if Bugatti are behind this we may see 8 litre W16 quad turbos! :lol:

Roll on 2014!
More could have been done.
David Purley

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

Do we know what Mecachrome actually supply to F1 right now ? Their website has very little details in it apart from the Motorsports customers listed as Renault F1 Team, Red Bull and Ferrari. There is also a Peugeot hiding in there :)

Do they design and supply the complete Renault engine for Renault and Red Bull ?

xpensive
xpensive

I believe that someone's comparison with USF1 is wide off the mark, just consider the individuals engaged in PURE;

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23169.html

Gilles Simon, x-FIA and Ferrari.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_Simon_(Formula_One)

Christian Contzen, x-Renault.
http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-conchr.html

Jean-Pierre Baudy, x-Renault&Peugeot.
http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-boujea.html

Whatever one might think of Graig Pollock, this looks serious, why it will be xtremely interesting to learn who pays for it?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

munudeges
munudeges

I think those talking about USF1 might do well to re-read that thread and look at the predictions made there that became 'obvious' as well as the differences between the two operations.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

:lol:

Sure, just like VW were nailed on certainties!
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

The paramount betweeen different posts and posters in general terms is wether you can admit to be in the wrong or not.

Sadly enough, some posters have no concept of the former.

Anyway, the heavy French influence within PURE now revealed, rules out VW. Obviously.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

How very ironic you chose those words x.

So you admit you are wrong to saying VW were behind this?
David Purley

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

Sorry guys, not trying to be negative but I still don't really get it. Why would anyone buy from Pollock if they can go direct to Mecachrome ?

So Christian Contzen is now a "consultant" and Jean-Pierre Boudy is "involved". Great name dropping by P.U.R.E. picking engineers with a great past but neither are obviously full time employees of the new venture.

In the past few years metallurgy, CAD, modeling, manufacturing techniques and material analysis techniques to predict failures have improved to the point that we rarely now have cars sitting in a puff of smoke at the side of the track. Most recent power train failures have been packaging errors for aero improvements.
The only reason I can see that the new company is not really doing anything concrete is that if the engine is not required to be on the dyno until say mid 2013 and it would take one year to design then no need to start any work until next year. That would make sense as all of the above engineering techniques are making leaps and bounds so anything designed or purchased now would be well out of date by 2014. I hope for P.U.R.E. this is the case.

Fil

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:How very ironic you chose those words x.

So you admit you are wrong to saying VW were behind this?
I'm not sure what purpose gloating on that point really serves?

He's admitted previously in this thread that his VW theory is more likely wrong (though no theory is disproved at this stage). Why make him continue to repeat the same thing?

Can we move on to discussing something more production here?
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

noname
noname

Gatecrasher wrote:Sorry guys, not trying to be negative but I still don't really get it. Why would anyone buy from Pollock if they can go direct to Mecachrome ? (...)

The only reason I can see that the new company is not really doing anything concrete is that if the engine is not required to be on the dyno until say mid 2013 and it would take one year to design then no need to start any work until next year.
Can Mecachrome develop the whole, brand new, powertrain (not the engine itself) for 2014 ? I do not think so. After all they just one of the parties involved in the project.

You will not find many information about what OEMs are doing, so just because TEOS/PURE are not passing too many firm "development updates" to the world does not mean they are doing doing nothing.

And waiting the whole year to start the work would put them, at least, a year behind the others.

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

noname wrote: And waiting the whole year to start the work would put them, at least, a year behind the others.
I don't think the other teams will put in any major effort right now. They still have 2 more years of engines to build for. Any work tight now is purely R+D the timing of which is driven only by information turns and who you have working on it.

FW17

I disagree

F1 engines have been on the bench at least 2 years prior to hitting the track. Even the recent BMW engines P84 used in 2004 were in design stage from 2002.