W Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
roon

Re: W Series

Post by roon » Thu May 09, 2019 5:27 am

marmer wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:01 pm
back to motorsport. there is far less phyiscal importance on a driver.
I thought this line of thinking had been debunked. Each sport has unique physical demands; excelling in these unique areas aids athletes. Drivers no exception. Apples to oranges to compare fitness across sporting categories, but top series drivers have physical demands and routines no different from any other professional league.

Therein gender/bio discrepancies will remain. General population obsesses over sports, stupidly. Those athletes only represent some tiny fraction of the population. They are the outliers in certain physical parameters which allowed them to rise through the ranks of feeder series. 99.999% of men can't compete in professional men's sports, either. Take a similar figure to the general population. Nearly all people can't compete in sports, so if anything it's what might be called ablist.

Some glass ceiling effects are to blame. I think sports generally is probably a lot of people being dicks to each other constantly. That climate combined with specific bigotries around sex and gender would present harsh circumstances and toxic environments.

But physical limits also exist. Fewer 6.5' tall women to pool from to allow more equal representation amongst NBA centers, for example.

zac510

Post by zac510 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:54 pm

strad wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:41 pm
Can't find the video I have of Janet Guthrie being inducted into the hall of fame but she said something to the effect of never having seen where what a driver has between their legs making a difference.
Not being stateside, I looked her up on wikipedia and read this:
Her top practice lap in Foyt's car would have been adequate to qualify for the field. Largely because of her gender, she was unable to obtain funding through corporate sponsorship, and was forced into retirement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Guthrie

strad

Post by strad » Thu May 09, 2019 6:18 pm

Largely because of her gender, she was unable to obtain funding through corporate sponsorship, and was forced into retirement.
Pippa Mann's point exactly.
Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt
Sir Stirling Moss

humble sabot

Post by humble sabot » Fri May 10, 2019 5:47 am

If this series is handled right it could actually help break that, because it does actually provide a sort of destination, somewhere you can tell your sponsor you have a legit chance of ending up at a competitive level and with broadcast time.
If they --- it up, W Series will literally become the glass ceiling itself though.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

marmer

Post by marmer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:36 pm

Well done to Chadwick hope she does well in the future.

I feel w series needs better tracks to race at several where less than epics and perhaps find a tyre that doesn't last the whole race to force some management or pit stops