2021 FIM MotoGP WC

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
rscsr

Re: 2021 FIM MotoGP WC

Acosta got very very lucky in FP3. He went down in the last corner and literally got run over by Rossi. Luckily all of them were able to walk away from the accident.
This accident was so stupid. All of them weren't even on a lap that counted, since they didn't get over the line early enough.

rscsr

rscsr wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 09:49
Acosta got very very lucky in FP3. He went down in the last corner and literally got run over by Rossi. Luckily all of them were able to walk away from the accident.
This accident was so stupid. All of them weren't even on a lap that counted, since they didn't get over the line early enough.

Andres125sx

drc wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 13:32
You can´t ask for a scoring system where a driver/rider can miss a good percentage of the season and still fight for the title.
Agree, but in this case marc only missed 2 out of 19, still within margins IMO.
What about the 3 crashes?

Marc didn´t participate in first 2, and didn´t score a single point in another 3 GPs. Add to that a 7th and a 9th and actually only last victory was a decent result for a title fight. 5 zeros and 2 poor results in 8 GPs is not withing margins IMO

https://es.motorsport.com/motogp/standings/

Anycase I´m not ruling him out of the fight yet. Quartararon need to prove some consistency yet, if he repeats his last season perfomance Marc will surely be in the fight.

This season there are many riders in the top positions wich is great, and also will be very good for Marc with points being spread between many riders. If he´s really back and start winning as a norm, he´ll be there

FrukostScones

Of course one should never discount a Marc Marquez.
But this season is for Quartararo. The Ducatis are too inconsistent. The dark horse could be Oliveira with the bike now seemingly fixed...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

drc
drc

only last victory was a decent result for a title fight. 5 zeros and 2 poor results in 8 GPs is not withing margins IMO
And I agree if that was it. But if you add enough wins to those, from a certain point, it does get within margins, and to me, adding 11 more race wins out of a possible 11, suffice. So you'd get:

marc : 12*1st///1*7th///1*9th///3 crashes and 2 no shows
francesco: 13*2nd///1*3rd///4th 5th 6th 7th 1*each///1 crash

IMO, the scoring system should declare marc the winner and, if I'm correct, according to you the winner should be bagnaia. The scoring system in place would translate these results into 316-319 points in favour of BAG, so I guess the scoring system agrees with you and disagrees with me.

Andres125sx

drc wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 22:12
only last victory was a decent result for a title fight. 5 zeros and 2 poor results in 8 GPs is not withing margins IMO
And I agree if that was it. But if you add enough wins to those, from a certain point, it does get within margins, and to me, adding 11 more race wins out of a possible 11, suffice. So you'd get:

marc : 12*1st///1*7th///1*9th///3 crashes and 2 no shows
francesco: 13*2nd///1*3rd///4th 5th 6th 7th 1*each///1 crash

IMO, the scoring system should declare marc the winner and, if I'm correct, according to you the winner should be bagnaia. The scoring system in place would translate these results into 316-319 points in favour of BAG, so I guess the scoring system agrees with you and disagrees with me.
Yes. Any scoring system wich allows to crash 1 race each 4 (not Marc case but could be) and still fight for the title makes the championship uninteresting. IMO reliability should always be at least a little part of the equation to win a title. There has always been a difference between drivers/riders who can fight for victories, and those who can fight for titles and I think it should always be like that.

If Marc can´t fight this season that´s because he crashed, got injured and has also crashed more than expected at his return. Not scoring any point in a quarter of the GPs should discard anyone from the fight. From a fan of Marc :wink:

But I´ll repeat I´m sure if Marc win all the rest, none will be second in all those remaining GPs so he still will have a real chance if he start winning as a norm. Victories are valued much higher than you imply with your complains. Even if maths look ugly, in the real world Marc will still have a real chance despite not scoring points in 5 GPs

etusch

Vinales considering shock Yamaha MotoGP exit for Aprilia in 2022
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... 2/6614069/

drc
drc

Andres125sx wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 13:16

Yes. Any scoring system wich allows to crash 1 race each 4 (not Marc case but could be) and still fight for the title makes the championship uninteresting.
Uninteresting? And why would that be? Unexpected view I must say.
Not scoring any point in a quarter of the GPs should discard anyone from the fight. From a fan of Marc :wink:
But this seems to be contradicting with:
in the real world Marc will still have a real chance despite not scoring points in 5 GPs
Or are you actually more conservative than the scoring system?
Also, regarding your first statement about not scoring in a quarter of the races, what if all of the riders/drivers don't score in a quarter of the races? No champion?
IMO reliability should always be at least a little part of the equation to win a title.
Yes, but I'd argue it plays more than just a little part in the equation of the points system, and possibly even bigger in your 'ideal' system.
Victories are valued much higher than you imply with your complains. Even if maths look ugly
What do you mean by this? 5 wins + 1 DNF = 125 points = 1 win + 5*2nd, no?

etusch

This Quartararo very bad at golf :lol:

rscsr

so Vinales actually leaves Yamaha after this season.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... n/6617595/

Cuky

Great for both parties. Yamaha will free the bike from fast but badly inconstant rider and Vinales wasn't able to lead the team after Rossi went to Petronas.

My hope is that Yamaha will take Morbidelli to factory team and that Raul Fernandez will come into Petronas team

Andres125sx

drc wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 13:57
Not scoring any point in a quarter of the GPs should discard anyone from the fight. From a fan of Marc :wink:
But this seems to be contradicting with:
in the real world Marc will still have a real chance despite not scoring points in 5 GPs
Why? Not scoring any point in a quarter of teh GPs should discard anyone from the fight, but if points are spread between lots of riders, then he still has a chance. What is contradictory?

drc wrote:
Or are you actually more conservative than the scoring system?
The system is FAR from conservative mate :wink:

drc wrote:
Also, regarding your first statement about not scoring in a quarter of the races, what if all of the riders/drivers don't score in a quarter of the races? No champion?
I was assuming this was a serious discussion. Stop the BS please

drc wrote:
IMO reliability should always be at least a little part of the equation to win a title.
Yes, but I'd argue it plays more than just a little part in the equation of the points system, and possibly even bigger in your 'ideal' system.
I don´t have any ideal system, the one suggesting a suposedly better system is you #-o
drc wrote:
Victories are valued much higher than you imply with your complains. Even if maths look ugly
What do you mean by this? 5 wins + 1 DNF = 125 points = 1 win + 5*2nd, no?
Exactly, even with 1 DNF each 6 GPs that invented rider will still win the title thanks to the higher number of victories. What´s what you don´t like exactly about this?

Cuky

Australian GP at Philip Island has been canceled with reason being "The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and resulting travel complications and logistical restrictions mean it has not been possible to confirm the viability of the event at this time"

Because of that Malaysian GP has been brought forward and will take place a week earlier than previously planned. Australian GP will be substituted by Grande Premio do Algarve which means we will return once again to Portimao this year for penultimate race of the season.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/07/ ... ded/382454

Cuky

Thai GP has been canceled.
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/07/ ... led/382755

There is also a rumor that Malaysian GP will be canceled as well.

No word as of yet about what GP will be put into the calendar to substitute for Thai GP, but there is a rumor that we could have few double headers like we had in Qatar if more GPs fall out.

In better news, Dani Pedrosa will make a racing return as a wildcard at Styrian GP
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/07/ ... ria/382747

Cuky

Yamaha test rider Cal Crutchlow will replace Franco Morbidelli at Petronas SRT for next 3 rounda of the championship while Franco is still recovering from his injuries.

https://www.sepangracingteam.com/news/c ... at2=MotoGP