Delta wing car concept

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
RB7ate9

Re: Delta wing car concept

olefud wrote:
RB7ate9 wrote:That huge pile of words being said, I wonder if there would be any benefit in a reverse-delta formation, with the wide-track at the front for improved stability while having perhaps just a pair of closely paired wheels (or one wide wheel) to put down power, using the sides for large diffusers/ground effects?
The near-trike design requires the CoG to be near the wider spaced wheels. So you’re suggesting a front engine design. Having the engine adjacent the narrow-spaced wheels would be a bit tipsy.
Interesting food for thought.

Pandamasque

RB7ate9 wrote:That huge pile of words being said, I wonder if there would be any benefit in a reverse-delta formation, with the wide-track at the front for improved stability while having perhaps just a pair of closely paired wheels (or one wide wheel) to put down power, using the sides for large diffusers/ground effects?
The whole point of the current shape is its (marginal) drag reduction. Your concept although more stable, wouldn't lose this concept's ONLY theoretical advantage over a rectangular car. :wink:

RB7ate9

Pandamasque wrote:
The whole point of the current shape is its (marginal) drag reduction. Your concept although more stable, wouldn't lose this concept's ONLY theoretical advantage over a rectangular car. :wink:
Haha, which is why I was hoping that the "footprint" could be the same with a 4-tire car, but the area extending back from the front wheels to the rear would be massive "ground effects" areas. Sort of like a giant Lotus 79 sidepod thing, where the rear wheels don't interrupt flow to side diffusers. Trade drag reduction for gobs of df? :D

FW17

RB7ate9 wrote:
Pandamasque wrote:
Haha, which is why I was hoping that the "footprint" could be the same with a 4-tire car, but the area extending back from the front wheels to the rear would be massive "ground effects" areas. Sort of like a giant Lotus 79 sidepod thing, where the rear wheels don't interrupt flow to side diffusers. Trade drag reduction for gobs of df? :D
You put the same size of tunnel from a delta wing to LMP 2, reduce the lmp2 to 450 kgs with a 300 hp engine and 40 liter tank and we will see the LMP2 way behind.

autogyro

No, it would have to be all electric to give major improvement.

allstaruk08

autogyro wrote:No, it would have to be all electric to give major improvement.
why?

olefud

Pandamasque wrote:
Think of it like this; when a car turns the resulting force acts at the center of gravity. This force is opposed by forces generated by the tires at a primarily point where the CoG force intersects a line drawn between the tire on the outside of the turn. Positioning the CoG near the widely-spaced tire is an important design feature of the Delta Wing concept.

When I first saw the DW I was skeptical since I didn’t appreciate this design feature.

rjsa

Pandamasque wrote: The whole point of the current shape is its (marginal) drag reduction. Your concept although more stable, wouldn't lose this concept's ONLY theoretical advantage over a rectangular car. :wink:
That's a misconception. What's got the gratest impact on drag is frontl area & CD. The fact that some of that area is dead ahead and the rest is deferred back is not a drag improving factor. Infact it works the way around since longer bodies with the same frontal shape tend to have lower CDs.

machin

The disadvantage of a "reverse delta" with the weight up front between two widely spaced wheels is that the driven wheel (assuming it was rear wheel drive) would have less traction due to the distance from the centre of gravity....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

autogyro

allstaruk08 wrote:
why?
To give full torque control over the full performance envelope.
Front wheel drive of course.

machin

Petit Le Mans Best Lap analysis:-

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Tommy Cookers

autogyro wrote:
allstaruk08 wrote:
why?
To give full torque control over the full performance envelope.
an electric car should, at least for road use/relevance, have a mechanical means of varying the relationship between the motor and the load (otherwise inefficiencies and mismatches arise elsewhere, regardless of the myth-flavoured hype)
a 2 motor differential input planetary gearset would do a nice (seamless) job
maybe they do this ?

Scania

the tire of DW looks like too hard, & the car is too light, it is hard to warm it up after tire change.

autogyro

Autogyro "No, it would have to be all electric to give major improvement".
why?
Autogyro "To give full torque control over the full performance envelope".

Tommy Cooker "an electric car should, at least for road use/relevance, have a mechanical means of varying the relationship between the motor and the load (otherwise inefficiencies and mismatches arise elsewhere, regardless of the myth-flavoured hype)
a 2 motor differential input planetary gearset would do a nice (seamless) job
maybe they do this ?"
I am unsure of what you mean Tommy.
I was applying the full electric idea to a FWD three wheeler with two wheels at the front, not the Delta.
There would be no need for a mechanical diff.
However I do have a multi stepped seamless motor generator if anyone needs it.

Pandamasque

RB7ate9 wrote:Trade drag reduction for gobs of df? :D
While at it, put 4 wheels where they belong! :lol: Proper rectangular shape would create huge possibilities for more efficient aero. And, as a bonus, it won't fall over like a Robin every time someone runs into its rear wheel from the side.

It's funny how same people who say Porsche 997 RSR must be replaced with a mid-engined car ASAP because the layout is inherently inefficient, praise the DW concept because 'all the weight is at back where it has all the grip'. Yes it handles, it does so like a caricature-911. Every time I see it entering a corner it's early on the brakes and does that old-911 wiggle, but then it wins some of the time back being able to put the power down early on the exit.