Delta wing car concept

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
finishline
finishline

Re: Delta wing car concept

Chris Harris get to drive the Nissan Delta Wing at Road Atlanta, there is a brief look at the car and interview with Ben Bowlby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_INdbXMqsw

FW17

They should get Newey to do a few laps.

Tonn
Tonn

Did some CFD on delta wing
the model was based on the pictures and technical numbers that I found
so the model is't the most exact but still gets the idea of the airflow

got L/D just about under 2
of course there are much improvements that can be done on the model
but still I hoped for better efficiency

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Project56 says they achieve L/D in the region of 6.

Tonn
Tonn

jep
I was expecting with that model to achieve at least 4 and over
even LMP1 and LMP2 cars have L/D over 3
well I think if I play with the ride height and tune the underbody it is achievable

machin

Ben Bowlby attributes a lot of the downforce to the sharp leading edge of the "wings" which supposedly introduce a large vortex under each side of the floor.... its not clear whether your model has the same sharp leading edge?

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

FW17

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

Ogami musashi wrote:Project56 says they achieve L/D in the region of 6.
That is a SERIOUS number. Without any of the tunnel leveraging devices for the downforce to be high (which I just cant see) that car must have freaking A-MAZ-ING drag value to hit that kind of L/D.

Tonn, looks like you are in CFDesign? Any chance you can copy and past the force/moment output from the solution?

lukeaar
lukeaar

JackHammer

machin

Sebring '13 Qualifying Analysis (all weights with driver and a little fuel):-

Power output of Deltawing's new engine taken to be 345bhp as reported in the press

P.S.

Where do you got those values from?

Deltawing homepage says 575 kg and 300 bhp. Even if you estimate 345 bhp, its 600 bhp/ton.
And the R18 for exampel is estimated by "insiders" to have about 630 bhp (wiki) . => About 630 bhp/ton.

Disagree?

machin

P.S. wrote:Where do you got those values from? Deltawing homepage says 575 kg
www.deltawingracing.com wrote: 475kg without fuel or driver, 575kg with fuel and driver
machin wrote:all weights with driver and a little fuel
P.S wrote: and 300 bhp.
www.deltawingracing.com wrote:Type: 4 cylinder 1.6-litre Nissan DIG-T (Direct Injection Gasoline-Turbo) Maximum Power Output: 300bhp at 7400 rpm
machin wrote:Power output of Deltawing's new engine taken to be 345bhp as reported in the press
dailysportscar.net wrote:the original open car will race at Sebring with a new Mazda based engine, a twin turbo billet blocked 1.9 litre four pot currently pushing out c.345 bhp
P.S wrote:And the R18 for exampel is estimated by "insiders" to have about 630 bhp (wiki)
www.Audi.com wrote:Engine Power Over 375 kW / 510 hp. Hybrid System = 2 x 75 kW
...But the Hybrid Power isn't full-time.....

P.S.

You don´t think you overrated the power/weigh of the deltawing?

A graph is usually a great thing to make things clear! But to me those values are still not plausible.

In your graph the Deltawing has about 640 bhp/ton. That means about 540 kg with driver and fule. Lets say 5 kg fule, so just 60 kg driver with helmet etc.?

But if you take that power numbers direct from Audi, my doubt increases. I haven´t calculated myself and I don´t have the data to do so, but I read that because of the acceleration performance the R18 has, the power just by the diesel engine has to be about 640 hp.

machin

Don Panoz on http://www.speedtv.com wrote:We’ve been working on a new engine for the DeltaWing that will be coming out for Sebring, We’re about 15 pounds lighter than the Nissan engine right now
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... s-chassis/
Racecar Engineering, April edition, Toyota TS030 article wrote:530bhp from the internal combustion engine
mulsannecorner, Toyota RV8KLM artcle wrote:Horsepower: 500+ hp (2 x 30.6 mm dia. restrictor)
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/ToyotaRV8KLM.html

I can't see the Audi being over 100bhp more than either of them.
www.audi.com article on Allan McNish wrote: Height/weight: 1.65 m/58 kg
www.nickheidfeld.com wrote:Weight: 58 kg
These are all quoted figures, but all of them have to be taken with a pinch of salt, including the old (with Nissan engine) Deltawing weight of 475kg (now 468kg with the new engine, adjusted as per Panoz's quote above). What can't be disputed is the weight of the "real" P1's and P2's which are governed by the rules. At the end of the day without personally measuring all the cars you can only go with what is quoted.