Delta wing car concept

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
machin

Re: Delta wing car concept

Interesting quote from the Deltawing team themselves....
Deltawing Team Manager, Dave Price wrote:At the moment, we're not planning to do Long Beach or Baltimore, principally because we're not convinced it would be ideally suited for [street circuits]
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... -schedule/
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Jersey Tom

Not ideally suited. HA.

Can't this car concept just... die already.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Caito

Jersey Tom wrote:Not ideally suited. HA.

Don't be narrow minded.

I think the car is well thought and could prove worthy.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

wesley123

Caito wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:Not ideally suited. HA.

Don't be narrow minded.

I think the car is well thought and could prove worthy.
Yet in over 1 years it has not showed it in any way.

At first I was cautious about it, but with its entries I was hopeful about it. However they have shown very little with this oh so promising concept and now they wont drive at a circuit because "it not suits it".

I'm with JT on this one, wish they would bin this and maybe do something that actually adds something.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FW17

Delta wing is about competing in LMP level with a very small budget.

MadMatt

I also don't know why lots of people just hate this project. You can hate the car, but you must confess that there was quite a lot of engineering behind it. Going off the usual path is never easy, so these guys deserve credits for trying something new. And to be honest, I think the performances are really good. Many people said the car would not work at all, would be unstable in corners, etc.

You may hate the fact that it threw a stone in the lake of the peaceful motorsport community, but it is really nice to see new ideas, people trying to come up with something new, trying to "reinvent the wheel" in a sense. Why would these guys just have to be "another team" while they could come up with something that would create discussions, debates all around the world and be kind of pioneers ! If nobody would try something that doesn't exist, I would for sure not be writing this message on a computer !

flyboy2160

The reason some people don't like this concept is that its proponents claim they have something much better and that everybody else just lacks imagination, when, in fact, they are just throwing away the rules everybody else has to adhere to: tire size/track/crash structure/weight/length/aero tunnels, etc. And then competing against those stuck with the regs.

I'm all for design freedom, but let everybody else throw out the rules they don't like and let's see what we have: Chapman-Lotus like super light weight, wider tracks like the previous gen F1 cars, 6 wheelers, full length down force tunnels, sliding skirts, prone drivers, engines right in the middle of the car, etc.

In a real free-for-all design arena, that thing would get clobbered. As it is, it's the only one that gets away from the regs that everyone else has to live with. That's not 'innovation', it's whining: "Boo hoo hoo, I don't want that tire size/weight/track whatever limitation. Boo hoo hoo. Oh, but I want to compete against those that have the restrictions."

lizardfolk

flyboy2160 wrote: I'm all for design freedom, but let everybody else throw out the rules they don't like and let's see what we have: Chapman-Lotus like super light weight, wider tracks like the previous gen F1 cars, 6 wheelers, full length down force tunnels, sliding skirts, prone drivers, engines right in the middle of the car, etc.

In a real free-for-all design arena, that thing would get clobbered. As it is, it's the only one that gets away from the regs that everyone else has to live with. That's not 'innovation', it's whining: "Boo hoo hoo, I don't want that tire size/weight/track whatever limitation. Boo hoo hoo. Oh, but I want to compete against those that have the restrictions."
So essentially you want the entire LMP1 field to be Garage 56s then? I fail to see that attitude with the DeltaWing design considering it was actually proposed to be the new 2012 IndyCar (which failed). So essentially people were pushing it TO be the new regulations in IndyCar and when that didnt work out they tried for the G56 spot and was accepted over 2 other proposals. So after that they'd like the car to race somewhere right?

Again, considering that the DeltaWing originally came out of an IndyCar project... can you exactly enlighten me on where this "holier-than-other-LMPS" attitude is prevalent?

wesley123

MadMatt wrote:I also don't know why lots of people just hate this project. You can hate the car, but you must confess that there was quite a lot of engineering behind it.
No one hates it because of it's engineering. They hate it because of its looks. It is by far the ugliest car currently running in racing events.
Going off the usual path is never easy, so these guys deserve credits for trying something new.

I was barely anything new imo, a lighter car requires less df and power to get to the same pace. That isnt exactly rocket science. And they made this whole thing harder for themselves just because they wanted to make it ugly as hell.

Yes it is a fresh breath, but no it isnt really that special.

[qupte]And to be honest, I think the performances are really good. Many people said the car would not work at all, would be unstable in corners, etc.[/quote]
It runs in a rules limited class as a car pretty much free from those ruling, yet it wasnt competitive at all. It showed decent pace yes, but nothing special and it certainly was nothing special for such a piece of great engineering .
You may hate the fact that it threw a stone in the lake of the peaceful motorsport community,
It barely made a dent into anything. It hasnt done anything or achieved anything good for the future of racing.
but it is really nice to see new ideas, people trying to come up with something new, trying to "reinvent the wheel" in a sense.
They didnt. They merely did something quite obvious and applied it for the G56 spot.
Why would these guys just have to be "another team" while they could come up with something that would create discussions, debates all around the world and be kind of pioneers !
Pioneers, no. They were only approached by a struggling Highcroft team who probably got a bit of cash for it. There was barely anyone who had faith in it, and even few that wanted to run it. If highcroft hadn't been struggling for their existence they wouldnt have ran this car.
If nobody would try something that doesn't exist, I would for sure not be writing this message on a computer !
But it did exist, it was just not applied in the rules.

The Deltawing was quite simple overall; If the car weights less you would need less df as well as less power to achieve a similar level of pace. They then added an illogical 3 wheeler design which adds absolutely nothing to the whole DeltaWing thing apart from making it look ugly as hell.

I would loved to see the deltawing actually add something. But they did not, and now they are coming with that they arent running on Long Beach because the car doesnt suits it. They are asking people to have faith in something they clearly dont have any faith in themselves.

How fun the idea looks on paper, the car hasnt proven anything to it. And now they are just shoving it down everyones throat and milk the money out of it that they still can out of this failed project. They should bin it just like many other failed projects.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Jersey Tom

flyboy2160 wrote:The reason some people don't like this concept is that its proponents claim they have something much better and that everybody else just lacks imagination, when, in fact, they are just throwing away the rules everybody else has to adhere to: tire size/track/crash structure/weight/length/aero tunnels, etc. And then competing against those stuck with the regs.
That's pretty much it for me. On top of that, they do all this.. and what do they have to show for it? F all. There's a reason it hasn't caught on - and it's not that it's "ahead of its time."
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

rjsa

flyboy2160 wrote:The reason some people don't like this concept is that its proponents claim they have something much better and that everybody else just lacks imagination, when, in fact, they are just throwing away the rules everybody else has to adhere to: tire size/track/crash structure/weight/length/aero tunnels, etc. And then competing against those stuck with the regs.

I'm all for design freedom, but let everybody else throw out the rules they don't like and let's see what we have: Chapman-Lotus like super light weight, wider tracks like the previous gen F1 cars, 6 wheelers, full length down force tunnels, sliding skirts, prone drivers, engines right in the middle of the car, etc.

Yeah, thank you for putting it exactly like I think and always failed to. Nothing against the chunk of metal and plastic, the problems is the attitude around it.

lizardfolk

rjsa wrote:

Yeah, thank you for putting it exactly like I think and always failed to. Nothing against the chunk of metal and plastic, the problems is the attitude around it.
So what's the attitude you guys expect from a G56 entrant?

I fail to see how you guys have such distaste over the attitude when it was a Garage 56 to begin with. Do you think the other two entrants of G56 that didn't get accepted into Le Mans wouldn't be so bold in trying to sell themselves if they did? Yeah I getcha, if they beat the other p2s it's because it's out of the regs of p2. So what? It's a G56... the point of a G56 is to be as much out of the regulations as possible to see if they can beat the regs.

Sounds to me like you guys just hate Garage 56 which is massively short sighted from the lot of you

rjsa

It didn't start as G56. It was to be the savior of the Indy series.

rjsa

It can't brake and turn. Just watch it losing the front end. The harder the braking goes, the straighter the cars goes

Yeah, yeah, he situation is stupid, there should be a whole track yellow, why the guy just parked mid track and all that. But none of it negates the fact that THIS IS NOT the future of motorsport.

Joseki

They were leaders after the first hour, that was impressive.