Group C - Books, Websites etc.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
matt21

Group C - Books, Websites etc.

Hi everybody!

Has anybody good sources on the group C Cars from 82 to 92.
I know mulsannecorner.com and some books.

I´m thankful for any information.

WilO

Re: Group C - Books, Websites etc.

matt21,

Ian Bamsey wrote a book, 'Anatomy and Development of the Group C Prototype' (or something like that), which was largely an examination of the aerodynamic development of the cars. I also have a large format book called 'Prototypes', which dealt with GTP cars (Group Cs American counterpart). This was less technical, but interesting nontheless.

If I come across anything else, I'll let you know.

Wil

matt21

Do you mean these?

Spud

If your looking for photo's I have lots of old IMSA photo's on my photo webpage at
www.martinsactionphotography.smugmug.com
Several IMSA galleries.

Sombrero

In this issue (Autosport 34 - 23.08.12) ... 33 pages group C special (incl. Sportscar 3.5L)

Short review : http://www.groupcracing.com/pages/260

Just_a_fan

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Developme ... 0879385863

I'm amazed at the prices being quoted by Amazon. Didn't realise my copy might be worth somewhat more than I paid for it when new...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123

Gurneyflap.com also has some image galleries of some of the cars and quite a decent sized 962 page.

You might want to broaden your search by GTP, the IMSA equivalent of the Group C
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MadMatt

Sorry I knew there was a thread, but I couldn't find it. Now that I have, I have deleted the thread I created :)

I have 2-3 books about sportscars (prototype cars) but I am hesitating to buy this one :

"Monocoques & Ground Effects" by Wimpffen

Or this one :

"Can-Am cars in detail" by Lyons

Did anybody read it ? Is there technical details inside ? I have read on amazon that there are only few written pages, and that it is mostly a pictures book. So it is really worth the money ?

:)

superflyte

"Mono's and Ground Effects" is a huge book with some very in depth detail on specific races, but not really a technical journal. It costs a bomb too, so unless you just want a great coffee table talking piece, keep searching if you're after tech info.
Ferrari GT40. lol

MadMatt

superflyte wrote:"Mono's and Ground Effects" is a huge book with some very in depth detail on specific races, but not really a technical journal. It costs a bomb too, so unless you just want a great coffee table talking piece, keep searching if you're after tech info.
Thanks mate ! :)

Sombrero

"Inside IMSA's legendary GTP cars"

It's a nice history book about major IMSA GTP prototypes but it's not so technical. But they are interesting pictures about the engines, aero packages and other technical details.

It's worth reading but I have two critics : 1) the lack of the race results and 2) the evolution of the IMSA GTP regulation between 1981-1993 is poorly documented.

The March 82G GTP – This was the first car to be designed by Adrian Newey, albeit under the direction of Robin Herd. It featured a reworked BMW M1C aluminium monocoque and was powered by a 5.7 litre Chevy engine. Like many later Newey designs the car had an aerodynamic trick up its sleeve, a gaping hole between the front fenders that fed the air to the massive under body Venturis. This unusual shape quickly earned the March the nick-name ‘lobster-claw’. It won two IMSA GTP titles (and raced on in 83G & 84G trim).

MadMatt

Thank you for the useful input ! I'm still wondering why the teams or manufacturers don't release informations about engines, cars and tricks used. I mean what happened 10-20-30 years ago is for sure not anymore up to date those days, not to mention regulations changes.

I am sure there would be plenty of interested people in books that cover much better the technical side of the cars, explaining what was made to make it fast (details not seen or written up to now).

Sombrero

Sombrero

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma_QImRrW30[/youtube]

The glory days of group C... Enjoy !