Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
NathanOlder

Re: Formula E

Its a good idea but will that put some drivers off ? Less chance to showcase you're skills ect. IMO its why the best drivers dont go into LMP1 ect. Most of these guys think they are the very best, so wont want another driver slowing them down.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 23:17
Just watched the penultimate race of the season, Di Grassi takes the championship lead after Buemi had to fight his way through the pack. Buemi was banging wheels with multiple drivers and got out the call livid! It appeared he feels he has a gods given right for people to jump out his way, I have seen Verge behave like that before, we all know Vettel is amazingly bad for this and it has been seen in flashes for Max. Must be a helmut marko thing rubbing off on all these red bull kids.

Or maybe its these kids drinking too much red bull when they are too young

Edit. I also remember Gasly being very touchy in his battles with Gio
Sadly, there's a bit of history to that, that I think plays a significant factor in the WHY Buemi reacted as he did. First of all, he came into this race after missing a double race last round due to a conflict with WEC/Toyota.

Then, he is facing the Luca DiGrassi, with whom there is obvious bad blood after what happened last year in the last race where DiGrassi crashed into Buemi and adding to that, tried to stop the latter from getting points for the quickest lap (which he still did in the end). That's just not okay and dirty any way you look at it,

Then during this race... driving into the pits, Buemi was held up by Abt who was driving slower than necessary into the pits. To make matters worse he then also ran into the back of Buemi (arguably, because the latter slowed down to not receive a penalty for being too quick in the pits, but one can't help but feel it could have been avoided). Not justifying Buemi walking up to other drivers from the T1 (or was it T2) incident, but you can't help but feel that he car to his right had no place to be there. It would have never worked and 9 out of 10 times ends in a collision where both cars are out.

But hey, this is Formula E that in many respects is more like bumper car racing. It's entertaining no doubt, but some of the stuff that goes on in the race is seriously WTF.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Phil

Sevach wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 02:49
Edit: Oh Jeez https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/ne ... nt-936320/
Car underweight, Buemi DSQ.
He's gonna go beserk now.
:(

It was a miracle to beginn with that they got that car up and running in time as it was, but this is a serious blow to the final. What a pity (and unfortunately not the first time that Renault gets disqualified for pushing beyond the limit).

I find it quite unjust that Luca DiGrasi will win this. Fair play for him and the victory he took yesterday, but he's gonna win it with 2 races more. Of course, it's not his fault, but Buemi should never have lost this, if not for the WEC clash meaning he lost out on 2 races.

IMO it just would have been great to still see him take it with the performance he showed over the entire season and even with 2 races less...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sevach

Phil wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:45
Sevach wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 02:49
Edit: Oh Jeez https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/ne ... nt-936320/
Car underweight, Buemi DSQ.
He's gonna go beserk now.
:(

It was a miracle to beginn with that they got that car up and running in time as it was, but this is a serious blow to the final. What a pity (and unfortunately not the first time that Renault gets disqualified for pushing beyond the limit).

I find it quite unjust that Luca DiGrasi will win this. Fair play for him and the victory he took yesterday, but he's gonna win it with 2 races more. Of course, it's not his fault, but Buemi should never have lost this, if not for the WEC clash meaning he lost out on 2 races.

IMO it just would have been great to still see him take it with the performance he showed over the entire season and even with 2 races less...
As a series who is still finding it's place and has many of it's drivers running other disciplines maybe they should have a only your best "x" results count system in place.

But rules are rules, and Di Grassi is now a heavy favorite.

Phil

Yeah, you are probably right. I mean, the biggest issue here is that the clash happened in the first place. It certainly made the final very interesting, if it was not for that disqualification. But Renault, unfortunately, just over did it. IMO, it was a miracle that they got away with that unsafe-release during the race, but it shows again that the Renault team should be more careful to not go beyond the limit of certain rules and risk a bigger handicap as a result of a penalty than to just be a bit more conservative. At the worst, they would have just been behind Abt without that early release.

One thing that bugs me though is that many drivers bump each other off and we love it for entertainment, but in reality, these things shouldn't be overlooked that easily. These incidents are ruining races for those involved in them.

On one hand, I like that the racing is simple and "raw" and we don't see much interference by the stewards, but the ugly side of the coin is that we see very poor driving leading to avoidable incidents. Maybe that's just the result of having a close to spec series with cars less reliant on downforce, so way more closer racing...

Anyway, the gap is what now, 18 points in DiGrassis favor?

That means, if Buemi gets pole, it's 15 points. That would mean DiGrassi would have to be 5th or worse, if Buemi wins for Buemi to retain the WDC. Assuming DiGrassi doesn't get the fastest lap...?
#Team44 supporter

NathanOlder

Is the final race on live in the UK ??? Cant see it anywhere ?????
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Phil

Baffling, but no, I don't think so. It should be on Channel 5, but according to my app and the guide, it isn't.

It should be on DMAX though...

Disturbingly, the live stream is on Youtube, but I can't watch it as supposedly "the uploader hasn't made it available to my country". Why in gods name... it's not as if we have pay tv with a broadcast here... :|
#Team44 supporter

mzso

Phil wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:39

Then, he is facing the Luca DiGrassi, with whom there is obvious bad blood after what happened last year in the last race where DiGrassi crashed into Buemi and adding to that, tried to stop the latter from getting points for the quickest lap (which he still did in the end). That's just not okay and dirty any way you look at it,
I still can't comprehend how DiGrassi didn't get anything for that. Schumacher got disqualified from the whole season for less. (Not much of a punishment since lost anyway. ) It was worthy of a couple race bans at least...

NathanOlder

Phil wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 18:42
Baffling, but no, I don't think so. It should be on Channel 5, but according to my app and the guide, it isn't.

It should be on DMAX though...

Disturbingly, the live stream is on Youtube, but I can't watch it as supposedly "the uploader hasn't made it available to my country". Why in gods name... it's not as if we have pay tv with a broadcast here... :|

Sky channel 160
Freeview , talk talk , BT tv 31
Virgin 154
FreeSat 141.

In the uk

Live from 8.30pm (5mins time)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

mzso

Gah. The title was decided in the first half lap with that damage to Buemi's car.

Phil

I'd argue it was decided yesterday when Buemi crashed in FP3 and in combination with the DSQ because the car was underweight.
#Team44 supporter

Phil

Just watched the post race interview by Buemi. Very impressed.
#Team44 supporter

FW17

OMG the rear is so UGLY

jjn9128

FW17 wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 16:25
OMG the rear is so UGLY
I must admit I'm not a fan of the 'rear wing'. Seems to be form over function to me - I personally think motorsport should be performance driven. I think the diffuser is lifted straight from the GP2/F2 car?!

That said, if the racing remains good I don't see an issue. I do worry about how the 1 car per race will affect the on-track action - atm there's a lot of bumping at the start, then a lull, then all hell breaks loose after the pitstops.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

dmjunqueira

jjn9128 wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 16:42
FW17 wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 16:25
OMG the rear is so UGLY
I must admit I'm not a fan of the 'rear wing'. Seems to be form over function to me - I personally think motorsport should be performance driven. I think the diffuser is lifted straight from the GP2/F2 car?!

That said, if the racing remains good I don't see an issue. I do worry about how the 1 car per race will affect the on-track action - atm there's a lot of bumping at the start, then a lull, then all hell breaks loose after the pitstops.
I don't care if it's ugly or not.
But this chassis doesn't "looks" performance driven...Rather it seems a "show" car just to please the audience.
Let's see if my perception is right...