Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
NathanOlder

Re: Formula E

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 19:10
Scarbs has done a good article on the belt tension sensor they used in Chile. I'm not sure how the mechanics know the belt is tensioned correctly, if it's an audio or LED cue? But I don't think it prevents the car starting up.
https://drivetribe.com/p/fe-clunk-click ... bEF8MWHZUg

Also Techeetah and Dragon fined for modifying their belts to make the stop faster - within the letter if not the spirit of the rules.
http://e-racing365.com/formula-e/techee ... ntroversy/
So Techeetah had modified belts to save time (against the rules) recorded the fastest pit stop of the weekend and won the race with a 1-2 by a couple of seconds and escape with a 30k fine. And keep the win. Which was also the first ever 1-2 finish in the history of the sport apparently #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

jjn9128

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 12:11
So Techeetah had modified belts to save time (against the rules) recorded the fastest pit stop of the weekend and won the race with a 1-2 by a couple of seconds and escape with a 30k fine. And keep the win. Which was also the first ever 1-2 finish in the history of the sport apparently #-o
Yeah... they sort of modified them. They added a loop with cable ties through the ends of the top straps to create a 'handle' (apparently used in WEC all the time) which allowed the mechanics to tighten them more easily. Officially it's a modification to an FIA homologated part, which is prohibited, but as ever there seems to be some ambiguity in the wording. Seems the stewards agreed that the wording of the rules didn't expressly prohibit it, so no DSQ but presumably the fine is to dissuade others from the practice in the future. The other suggestion seems to be that the fine is because they didn't declare it before the race?!

From the motorsport.com article:
Techeetah team principal Mark Preston said the FIA’s wording that "additions" to seat belts are tolerated in some categories suggested there was a “grey area” over what can and cannot be altered... According to the stewards, the FIA’s technical and safety departments will clarify “what, if any, modifications are permissible in respect of the safety harnesses” before the next race in Mexico on March 3.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

NathanOlder

cheers
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Big Mangalhit

Rodak wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 20:46
Could be a little dangerous as they race to save every tenth they can. I can imagine a driver trying to fasten his own belt on the way down the put lane. Maybe the seat belt has a switch inside that wont let the car accelerate until the belt is locked in.
Have you ever driven a Formula car? The driver can't fasten the belts; it's too confining and there is no room for the driver to manipulate belts. You need a mechanic to do it. Tighten, yes, but buckle? No.
I doubt it's that complicated to do it this since Hamilton himself admitted on undoing his belt after a victory to be able to celebrate better. I think they can do/undo they just can't adjust around the tightness by themselves.
which also show that if FIA don't have a problem with that they should not have with a driver fastening the belt on the pit lane.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13230 ... lt-removal
Whiting: "At the speeds Lewis was driving at, I think that's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Loosen them, not undo them."

Felipe Massa: "But you cannot loosen them. It's very difficult, you need to take it off."

Whiting: "I was asked a question and I said, no, you should not undo them, but if you can loosen them off, I don't see a big issue with that. Lewis, what do you do, do you loosen them or undo them?"

Hamilton: "Undo them. I don't do it very often. Montreal I did, a few other races."

Andres125sx

Big Mangalhit wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 14:43
Rodak wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 20:46
Could be a little dangerous as they race to save every tenth they can. I can imagine a driver trying to fasten his own belt on the way down the put lane. Maybe the seat belt has a switch inside that wont let the car accelerate until the belt is locked in.
Have you ever driven a Formula car? The driver can't fasten the belts; it's too confining and there is no room for the driver to manipulate belts. You need a mechanic to do it. Tighten, yes, but buckle? No.

I doubt it's that complicated to do it this since Hamilton himself admitted on undoing his belt after a victory...
Undo is completely different to tighten. Drivers MUST be able to undo the seat belts or they´d be trapped after any crash

NathanOlder

Im pretty sure if a driver had a very loose belt, he could tighten them himself, not to the tighttightness that his crew does it, but tight enough that its not flapping around in the wind. So going back to my original statement, a drive could be tightening his own belt as he drove down the put lane.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

He won't be able to tighten it enough to be comfortable / effective during high-g braking.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle
Jolle

For a driver to do his own belts is pretty complicated. There are 6 belts: two crotch (thin loops not to dive under the belts), two hip and two shoulder straps. The crotch and hip belts are made to measure on length. The shoulder straps have a tightening loop on it, and can be easily be pulled tight by the driver while driving (what they do often when there body “sets” into their seats more and more). Undoing the belts is just one button on the center lock, where all belts come together.

So, fasten is almost impossible by just the driver, tighten is easy and undo is very simple. Loosen is also almost impossible (because the way the tighten loops work).

Powy
Powy

16 minute video analysis of the new cars by Scarbs:

[media]https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/9 ... 8982758401[/media]

Powy
Powy

And here another analysis by Scarbs. Notice the lack of a proper rear wing and the huge diffuser.

Andres125sx

There are some new liveries for the gen2 car :D

Two concepts from Marco Van Overbeeke for Audi and Techeetah

And two offical releasses

Nissan:

DS:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i can't unsee what i noticed

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Ahhhhhh

Now all I see is this !

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Zynerji

Im seeing a skull right above your silly face.....

NathanOlder

Zynerji wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 01:57
Im seeing a skull right above your silly face.....
Ohhhh,

I see the skull of the Alien from Independence day. The Alien in the mothership when Will Smith delivers the Nuke.

how far off topic ?? Sorry.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.