Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: Formula E

First public run for Gen2 car, driven by Nico Rosberg

jjn9128

his first go on the track - he's was pushing!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Bill_Kar

Finally a proper race by Audi. The've got the best car but they had a lot of problems. Good job Daniel as well, beating the world champion in a fair manner.

strad

Andres
“ I'm surprised how small the front brake discs are as compared to F1. They're smaller than ones I've seen on most passenger sports cars.
That is not my quote.
This is
have to admit that I haven't followed it closely but my guess would be that it is because of the light weight of the cars and the superior materials used for discs and pads. To keep weight as low as possible they would I think pare it down as much as they can and also to keep the unsprung weight down.
I also said
Maybe they do just look smaller...I'd have to check the specs I guess, but J.A.W. is probably right as well.
and the reference to material is where I said that all I could find was that the FIA only specified the materials.
Hardly derailing the discussion.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

jjn9128

Bill_Kar wrote:
19 May 2018, 19:10
Finally a proper race by Audi. The've got the best car but they had a lot of problems. Good job Daniel as well, beating the world champion in a fair manner.
It goes to show without the DSQ after the win in Hong Kong, and the technical issues in HK, Marrakesh, and Santiago the season would have shaped up very differently. That's racing I guess, sometimes the best team doesn't win.

I've been hugely impressed by Abt this year, I must admit through season 1 & 2 I thought he was only there because his family name was above the door. On the other hand Prost has gone backwards in my estimation, I was expecting a lot from his team Rebellion results, but he spectacularly crashed in the 1st race and never really got going since. It's very likely he'll be out on his ear when Nissan take over - they may find it hard to keep Buemi with his Toyota commitments as well. Could be that there are a load of seats up for grabs over the summer! Gotta question what's happening at Renault to be so consistently beaten by the customer team is baffling!?

On brakes - as everyone is talking about - Coulthard mentioned in FP commentary that the diminutive disc size and lack of a cake tin/air duct may help to keep the tyres cooler - seems getting brake temps without overheating the tyre could be an issue. An idiosyncrasy of the "road" tyres they run?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Bill_Kar

jjn9128 wrote:
19 May 2018, 22:34
Bill_Kar wrote:
19 May 2018, 19:10
It goes to show without the DSQ after the win in Hong Kong, and the technical issues in HK, Marrakesh, and Santiago the season would have shaped up very differently. That's racing I guess, sometimes the best team doesn't win.

I've been hugely impressed by Abt this year, I must admit through season 1 & 2 I thought he was only there because his family name was above the door. On the other hand Prost has gone backwards in my estimation, I was expecting a lot from his team Rebellion results, but he spectacularly crashed in the 1st race and never really got going since. It's very likely he'll be out on his ear when Nissan take over - they may find it hard to keep Buemi with his Toyota commitments as well. Could be that there are a load of seats up for grabs over the summer! Gotta question what's happening at Renault to be so consistently beaten by the customer team is baffling!
I'm really buffled by Prost; Nowhere near Buemi especially this year. At least last year he was consistently in the points, nowadays he fights in the back. It makes me wonder..

Please, don't mention customer team beating the works team, it hurts. I support Yamaha in MotoGP!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
On a more serious note, I think that Renault has made steps backwards, because Buemi isn't at all competitive, today for example, even with the fan boost, he couldn't get near Vergne. As much as I don't like Vergne, he is doing a fantastic job, he is really cautious when it's absolutely necessary. That said, it really is difficult to lose this championship; when you're closest rival is Sam Bird, what can you do wrong.

Last note, we're going to have two Venturi teams. The HWA one will be the pre-Mercedes, will Nico drive for them?

J.A.W.

strad wrote:
19 May 2018, 19:54
Andres
“ I'm surprised how small the front brake discs are as compared to F1. They're smaller than ones I've seen on most passenger sports cars.
That is not my quote.
This is
have to admit that I haven't followed it closely but my guess would be that it is because of the light weight of the cars and the superior materials used for discs and pads. To keep weight as low as possible they would I think pare it down as much as they can and also to keep the unsprung weight down.
I also said
Maybe they do just look smaller...I'd have to check the specs I guess, but J.A.W. is probably right as well.
and the reference to material is where I said that all I could find was that the FIA only specified the materials.

I concur with you on this one, strad.. it beggars belief that Brembo would fork out full F1-spec brakes for FE,
or imagining that simply rolling an eye or two - over a couple of publicity pix, could confirm this to be the case..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

henry

J.A.W. wrote:
20 May 2018, 00:59
strad wrote:
Andres
That is not my quote.
This is
I also said

I concur with you on this one, strad.. it beggars belief that Brembo would fork out full F1-spec brakes for FE,
or imagining that simply rolling an eye or two - over a couple of publicity pix, could confirm this to be the case..
I missed where someone, other than you, suggested the brakes are “full F1 spec”.

This , viewtopic.php?p=766187#p766187, is the most cogent post on this and suggests that they are similar in diameter and offers no suggestion that any other aspect is lifted from F1 ( maybe with the exception of the BBW)
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

henry

strad wrote:
20 May 2018, 03:17
I missed where someone, other than you, suggested the brakes are “full F1 spec”.
I looked back thru every post "I" made on the topic and not one from me says I think they are full F1 spec.
I was responding to @J.A.W.. Sorry if you thought I meant you. I should have pruned the quote.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Andres125sx

strad wrote:
Andres
That is not my quote.
This is
I also said
Not sure about the reason you think I was repliing to you, I was quoting jaw and replying to him. He is who derailed the discussion, not you Strad
Last edited by Andres125sx on 20 May 2018, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

jjn9128

Bill_Kar wrote:
20 May 2018, 00:48
I'm really buffled by Prost; Nowhere near Buemi especially this year. At least last year he was consistently in the points, nowadays he fights in the back. It makes me wonder..

Please, don't mention customer team beating the works team, it hurts. I support Yamaha in MotoGP!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
On a more serious note, I think that Renault has made steps backwards, because Buemi isn't at all competitive, today for example, even with the fan boost, he couldn't get near Vergne. As much as I don't like Vergne, he is doing a fantastic job, he is really cautious when it's absolutely necessary. That said, it really is difficult to lose this championship; when you're closest rival is Sam Bird, what can you do wrong.

Last note, we're going to have two Venturi teams. The HWA one will be the pre-Mercedes, will Nico drive for them?
Well Massa is in one of the Venturi seats, I think Engel will be retained in the other. I don't see Rosberg racing - I think he's being lined up as the team principal. He's currently an investor in the series, but Agag is trying to buy out all the other investors. Wehrlein is being talked about, but I think you have to get Formula E to be competitive - loads of good drivers have struggled because they're not fully committed to learning its quirks. Di Resta has tested and is a current Mercedes DTM, there's also Mortara who had a good HK until he crashed, then nothing. Those are the 3 contenders for HWA for me, unless I'm missing someone...

On Renault, I think they have to sell the exact same specification of powertrain at a fixed price so the only differences must be drivers and software. I don't see much difference between Buemi and Vergne so it has to be software issues.

I quite like Sam Bird, the Virgin is a bit up and down but he consistently quicker than Lynn. Rosenquist may be pushing Heidfeld into retirement, if only he could stamp out the mistakes, again the car can be unbeatable one day and at the back of the midfield the next.
#aerogandalf

nzjrs

jjn9128 wrote:
19 May 2018, 16:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fro9jrCw3G4 his first go on the track - he's was pushing!
That's really a fantastic video. He's really pushing and learning the limitations/difference/quirks in real time.

Big Tea

nzjrs wrote:
20 May 2018, 13:32
jjn9128 wrote:
19 May 2018, 16:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fro9jrCw3G4 his first go on the track - he's was pushing!
That's really a fantastic video. He's really pushing and learning the limitations/difference/quirks in real time.
Anyone have an idea what his lap times were?
I know they would not be representative, just for fun
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
20 May 2018, 15:31
Anyone have an idea what his lap times were?
I know they would not be representative, just for fun
If they recorded times they've not released them. I timed his last 3 laps (after the lock up and brake bal shifts) at 1:13.7, 1:15.5 and 1:14.7, it's difficult to judge where the timing line is because of the camera angles, could have picked a different reference each time, so say a 1:14.4 average! Pole was a 1:09.472 and the best lap in the race was a 1:12.409, but Abt was averaging ~1:14's. So if he wasn't pushing he was doing similar lap times to the average race pace of the winner.

I'm not sure what power train was in the car.. he was asking about when to shift into second, AFAIK none of the top teams have multiple gears any more so it could be a motor/inverter borrowed from a team (Renault/Audi S2?). We also don't know what power mode he was in... but it's unlikely to have been 250kW. There's also the issue of setup for a demo run, it looked stiffer than the other cars over the bumps so maybe they used what they have done in testing?!
#aerogandalf

jjn9128

nzjrs wrote:
20 May 2018, 13:32
Agreed! You would have thought he'd do his homework beforehand though :lol:
#aerogandalf