Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jjn9128

Re: Formula E

Hmmmmm more of this "mario kart" idea coming out. "Hyperboost" they're calling it atm. Drivers have to drive over a specific part of a circuit to get 4 minutes of higher power mode. Also it's mandatory to do it twice per race?! If it's mandatory why not just give them 8 minutes of push to pass??
https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/13625 ... lan-emerge

We're also losing bonus points for fastest lap, to be replaced by the eco-driver of the race award.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
23 May 2018, 17:19
Hmmmmm more of this "mario kart" idea coming out. "Hyperboost" they're calling it atm. Drivers have to drive over a specific part of a circuit to get 4 minutes of higher power mode. Also it's mandatory to do it twice per race?! If it's mandatory why not just give them 8 minutes of push to pass??

We're also losing bonus points for fastest lap, to be replaced by the eco-driver of the race award.
Just when I was beginning to enjoy it. :evil:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
23 May 2018, 20:06
Just when I was beginning to enjoy it. :evil:
Have to see what how it ends up working in practice but it screams gimmick to me. Perhaps also says they have less faith in the new bodykit as the wonder solution for wheel-to-wheel action.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

strad

What's the other thing? The fan boost? You and I can vote to give certain drivers extra boost of power?
Seems dodgy to me.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roon

They have to drive a different line? Or the track forks somewhere? I don't understand.

I have a better idea for fan boost. Groups of people push start the cars off the line. Electric motors don't kick in until 5mph.

Big Tea

strad wrote:
23 May 2018, 23:08
What's the other thing? The fan boost? You and I can vote to give certain drivers extra boost of power?
Seems dodgy to me.
But you and I are never going to get enough 'votes' in to make a difference. Look at the 'winners' from last year.
It takes a concerted social media push or a good piece of code. It is the same few drivers get it every time.

It is a joke as bad a Eurovision
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

That is why I think it's dodgy. A popularity contest where it's based on how many fans you have that are willing to vote 50 times each. Sorta like shows on TV that count viewer votes. Don't gotta be good just popular.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

jjn9128

strad wrote:
24 May 2018, 01:12
That is why I think it's dodgy. A popularity contest where it's based on how many fans you have that are willing to vote 50 times each. Sorta like shows on TV that count viewer votes. Don't gotta be good just popular.
I seem to recall Ma Qinghua/Ho Pin Tung winning fan boost a lot in season 1... they've changed the rules to make it less manipulable. I don't think it has often been a race-changing device. In fact in normally ruins their battery targets :lol: similar to Indy when they're fuel saving and can't use push-to-pass.
#aerogandalf

jjn9128

roon wrote:
23 May 2018, 23:15
They have to drive a different line? Or the track forks somewhere? I don't understand.
The way Agag described it was like picking up a powerup in Mario kart (/similar racing games) so they have to go to a point on the track, sound like it'll be off line around a corner.
#aerogandalf

mzso

jjn9128 wrote:

Ugh... Why do they go for BS like this. Just double the power and use racing slicks and interest will increase. (Maybe get rid of the annoying whine of the gears)

jjn9128

mzso wrote:
24 May 2018, 12:56
Ugh... Why do they go for BS like this. Just double the power and use racing slicks and interest will increase. (Maybe get rid of the annoying whine of the gears)
Doubling the power may be hard :lol: they're already increasing peak power in quali from 200kw to 250kW, I think it was 180kW in season 1, as well as doubling the range from the batteries (the new battery is 54kWh, up from 28kWh for about the same weight). Despite having ~1/3 of F1 power the top speed in the new car will be 280km/hr - which is really fast considering how tight the tracks are. Racing slicks and more power would mean they couldn't race in city centres, where other series (eg F1) just wouldn't have the steering lock. The tyre's are also a means of making the cars slide which means the drivers make mistakes which makes for passing opportunities.

Just because you're not interested (why are you reading a thread about it if that's the case?) doesn't mean there is no interest. There's a lot of interest from manufacturers and punters.

I for one love the electric motor noise.
#aerogandalf

mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
24 May 2018, 13:12
Doubling the power may be hard :lol: they're already increasing peak power in quali from 200kw to 250kW, I think it was 180kW in season 1, as well as doubling the range from the batteries (the new battery is 54kWh, up from 28kWh for about the same weight).
In fact it's trivial. Keep the car-swap and you can have double the power.
jjn9128 wrote:
Racing slicks and more power would mean they couldn't race in city centres, where other series (eg F1) just wouldn't have the steering lock.
This has no reality basis. The tires are a nonfactor to where they can race or not.
jjn9128 wrote:
There's a lot of interest from manufacturers and punters.
What the series needs is viewers.
jjn9128 wrote:
Just because you're not interested (why are you reading a thread about it if that's the case?)
Don't put words in my mouth.

strad

There should be interest because someday, not tomorrow or in the very near future but someday it will take over and internal combustion powered cars will just be a memory.
Sir Stirling Moss

J.A.W.

strad wrote:
24 May 2018, 21:19
There should be interest because someday, not tomorrow or in the very near future but someday it will take over and internal combustion powered cars will just be a memory.
That's on face value, a pretty bold claim - strad..

IMO, if the visceral sensation - the 'sound & fury', if you will - of ICE based racing goes, so will much of the fanbase interest..

Classic racing, featuring such 'real deal' machines - will surely draw that interest.. but hey, time'll tell..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

J.A.W.

mzso wrote:
24 May 2018, 12:56
jjn9128 wrote:

FE promoters appear to be pushing real hard - to appeal to the 'millenial gamer' demographic with these gimmicks,
which really does present as just too confected/orchestrated - for us true-school racefans..

For sure, the spectacle of full-on racing.. would be enhanced by more power & provision of a 'racey' ambient sound..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).