Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Morteza

Re: Formula E

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mzso

When will we see people choosing FE over F1?

jjn9128

mzso wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 19:44
Depends how the series' evolve over the next few years. In the UK the key advantage Formula E has is that it is on free to air TV. The motorsports purists may find Formula E a bit gimmicky with fan boost and the mario kart stars which are coming this year - I'm reserving judgement on the latter until I see it in action. I don't see it as a one or the other personally, I watch both on top of other motorsports. I think the racing in Formula E has been consistently good, while F1 has suffered at bit on excitement since the 2017 rules.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Andres125sx

mzso wrote:
Read some quote from Vandoorne next season, and it will be next season :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now seriously, it will take some time yet. Batteries are still a big limiting factor

notsofast

mzso wrote:
When Adrian Newey designs an FE car that is faster than the fastest F1 car?
When more money pours into FE than into F1?
When the best drivers sign on to an FE team rather than an F1 team?

Of course all of these are inter-related. More money can result in faster cars. Faster cars can attract better drivers. Faster cars and better drivers attract more fans. More fans attract more money.

I suspect it will be a generational thing. The youngest generation may simply start (and stick with) FE while the older generation continues to stick with F1. Then, over time, FE will be bigger than F1.

WaikeCU

mzso wrote:
- When manufacturers join FE or shift their budget towards FE.
- If FE starts to have more manufacturers, visit more big cities and have more big names and talented drivers on the grid than F1.
- If the fans popularity is growing each season and F1’s popularity is declining.
- If the FE grid is larger than F1.
- If the FE car goes faster than an F1 car.

Andres125sx

WaikeCU wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 06:50
mzso wrote:
- When manufacturers join FE or shift their budget towards FE.
- If FE starts to have more manufacturers, visit more big cities and have more big names and talented drivers on the grid than F1.
- If the fans popularity is growing each season and F1’s popularity is declining.
- If the FE grid is larger than F1.
- If the FE car goes faster than an F1 car.
A half of that is already accomplished :wink:

There are more manufacturers involved in FE: Renault, Audi, Jaguar, Nissan, BMW and Mercedes has also been anounced

F1 popularity keep declining, and FE increasing

About the grid size, don´t think that´s of any relevance

Cars speed is too far tough, wich is the reason talented drivers still go to F1

mzso

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 09:17
I'd say it's mainly the big money and esteem.

jjn9128

Andres125sx wrote:
There are more manufacturers involved in FE: Renault, Audi, Jaguar, Nissan, BMW and Mercedes has also been anounced
You're forgetting Mahindra, Nio, DS and Venturi (though I'm not sure the latter have any large scale production models). So on top of attracting existing/traditional automotive OEM's they have the developing ones plus interest from India and China. Nine of the eleven teams have OEM backing - the only exceptions are Virgin (a huge multinational conglomerate) who are using Audi powertrains and Dragon who have Penske designed motors. I suppose you could count HWA this season as a customer of Venturi before becoming a full Mercedes factory team next season. Plus Porsche are joining for season 6. Formula E not only has more manufacturers but also more teams competing and is expanding with a waiting list of serious interest (not Stefan GP or dodgy Russians).

Nissan have just announced Shell as one of their backers - it is a series manufacturers and sponsors want to be associated with for their "green"/"eco" credentials. Whether that is in lieu of actual progress and change is yet to be seen, but big oil companies are all expanding into renewables.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Andres125sx

mzso wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 12:06
Andres125sx wrote:
I'd say it's mainly the big money and esteem.
Agree, but I think it´s all related, F1 money and esteem comes from being considered the pinnacle of motorsports, wich has been the case because it´s been the fastest cars out there since the beginning of motorsports, or at least the fastest wich survived

Andres125sx

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 12:53
Andres125sx wrote:
You're forgetting Mahindra, Nio, DS and Venturi (though I'm not sure the latter have any large scale production models). So on top of attracting existing/traditional automotive OEM's they have the developing ones plus interest from India and China. Nine of the eleven teams have OEM backing - the only exceptions are Virgin (a huge multinational conglomerate) who are using Audi powertrains and Dragon who have Penske designed motors. I suppose you could count HWA this season as a customer of Venturi before becoming a full Mercedes factory team next season. Plus Porsche are joining for season 6. Formula E not only has more manufacturers but also more teams competing and is expanding with a waiting list of serious interest (not Stefan GP or dodgy Russians).

Nissan have just announced Shell as one of their backers - it is a series manufacturers and sponsors want to be associated with for their "green"/"eco" credentials. Whether that is in lieu of actual progress and change is yet to be seen, but big oil companies are all expanding into renewables.
I was not listing all the manufacturers involved, just some from memory, but thanks for the clarification, very informative :D

Morteza

Vandoorne confirmed to drive for HWA alongside Paffet next season
https://twitter.com/svandoorne/status/1 ... 6370153473

Also Wehrlein and D'Ambrosio signed with Mahindra
https://twitter.com/MahindraRacing/stat ... 4867837952
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

BMW rookie Sims leads opening day of Formula E testing

Some photos from today's pre-season testing in Valencia

graham.reeds

What speed are they achieving now and how long can they run?

jjn9128

graham.reeds wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 23:32
What speed are they achieving now and how long can they run?
They will now do a whole (45min) race on 1 battery, 250kW peak power, top speed ~280km/hr.
#aerogandalf