Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
molina
molina

Re: Formula E

The list of drivers has nothing to envy another major competition. Moreover, these semi covered cars also allow closer fights in the tight streets circuits. I think this season is gonna be exciting.

Only have some doubts on how the suppresion of changing the car is going to affect the strategy, this was a very good shaking factor in the past.

henry

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 00:24
graham.reeds wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 23:32
What speed are they achieving now and how long can they run?
They will now do a whole (45min) race on 1 battery, 250kW peak power, top speed ~280km/hr.
I think it’s 250kW in qualifying, 200 in the race.

The longest stint in testing at Valencia so far was 27 laps, so probably a little under 40 minutes. I guess they will need to learn how to make a 54kWh battery last a full race. I’ve read that the cars are heavier than they intended by around 40kg which will make this more difficult.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

jjn9128

henry wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 09:21
I think it’s 250kW in qualifying, 200 in the race.

The longest stint in testing at Valencia so far was 27 laps, so probably a little under 40 minutes. I guess they will need to learn how to make a 54kWh battery last a full race. I’ve read that the cars are heavier than they intended by around 40kg which will make this more difficult.
I did say 250kW peak :P

They can use 250kW with fan boost and 225kW with the "Mario kart stars". The batteries last year were heavier than they wanted because Williams designed and delivered them in about 3 months, so there was a lot of safety margin. I've not seen anything about this years car being any heavier than they could make it - do you have a link?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

henry

[quote=jjn9128 post_id=798298

do you have a link?
[/quote]

I read it in a couple of places. It’s mentioned here. https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/12893 ... in-october a little old. I thought I’d read it more recently, but maybe not. I was seeking info on battery weights and not too interested in FE per se.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

jjn9128

Bit of onboard action!!
https://twitter.com/JaguarRacing/status ... 3684237313

Also Stoffel Vandoorne now has #5 - no longer a #2 driver, maybe that was his problem :lol:
https://twitter.com/svandoorne/status/1 ... 8632078336
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

garyjpaterson

Seems like a lot of coasting

jjn9128

Bit of Formula E in the wet -- love how you can see the rear wings working in the wheel spray...

Also anyone wondering what the underside of the car looks like - from the technical regs:
#aerogandalf

Morteza

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 12:58
Bit of Formula E in the wet -- love how you can see the rear wings working in the wheel spray...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dp3FplkWwAAilo6.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dp3UWIZXcAAr-ub.jpg

Also anyone wondering what the underside of the car looks like - from the technical regs:
https://cd47oq.by.files.1drv.com/y4mU98 ... pmode=none
Pretty awesome :)
What are those lights on halo for?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

jjn9128

Morteza wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 13:12
They indicate a number of things - which I can't find a list of atm. Certainly they indicate when the driver is using full quali power or fan boost - I think the race leader gets a light and maybe flags/FCY are shown as well...
#aerogandalf

Morteza

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 13:24
Morteza wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 13:12
They indicate a number of things - which I can't find a list of atm. Certainly they indicate when the driver is using full quali power or fan boost - I think the race leader gets a light and maybe flags/FCY are shown as well...
Very interesting. Thank you!
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

NathanOlder

What do I think..... I think the Mahindra and the E.Dams cars have traction control :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mzso
mzso

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 08:39
What do I think..... I think the Mahindra and the E.Dams cars have traction control :lol:
I think that direct-drive would be much nicer.

jjn9128

A bit of action from the practice race from pre-season testing. Cars look great, they can race wheel-to-wheel, what's not to love?!

Audi and BMW looking strong. Hopefully that bodes well for Virgin too.
#aerogandalf

Andres125sx

=P~ =P~ =P~

I know DF levels are not comparable to F1, but I can´t stop thinking this is the route to go in modern racing. Wings are outdated, they´re not needed nowadays