Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jjn9128

Re: Formula E

Andres125sx wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 17:38
I know DF levels are not comparable to F1, but I can´t stop thinking this is the route to go in modern racing. Wings are outdated, they´re not needed nowadays
I mean in terms of the wake the covered wheels are more important than where the downforce is produced - you see this in the 2021 F1 concept with partially covered rear wheels. The car also has 3 wings with the outrigger rear wings... :P
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

MtthsMlw

Some more sound

Justthatek

MtthsMlw wrote:Some more sound
Where?

MtthsMlw

Justthatek wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 20:51
MtthsMlw wrote:Some more sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70hnbnmaf50
Where?
:roll:

Andres125sx

jjn9128 wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 18:32
Andres125sx wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 17:38
I know DF levels are not comparable to F1, but I can´t stop thinking this is the route to go in modern racing. Wings are outdated, they´re not needed nowadays
I mean in terms of the wake the covered wheels are more important than where the downforce is produced - you see this in the 2021 F1 concept with partially covered rear wheels. The car also has 3 wings with the outrigger rear wings... :P
No rear wing, only two small flaps according to Allan McNish :)

Nice video by Audi, I like how it´s been produced

jjn9128

Andres125sx wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 21:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4W0JIN_eT4
Not sure if I'm reading your tone correctly, but being pedantic an aerofoil shaped to produce a force perpendicular to the direction of travel (in this case a force normal to the ground i.e. downforce) with finite span is a wing. These wings you could technically call strakes because their chord exceeds their span. They are trim wings which can be adjusted with or against the front wing flaps to slightly alter/tune the aero-balance and peak downforce of the car.

I like Alan McNish - I think he talks very well about motorsports as he's obviously an enthusiast. He used to do free practice commentary for the BBC which I miss.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 12:34
Not sure if I'm reading your tone correctly, but being pedantic an aerofoil shaped to produce a force perpendicular to the direction of travel (in this case a force normal to the ground i.e. downforce) with finite span is a wing.
Yeah. I don't know where these "no wings" comments come from. I see both front and rear wings. Now this doesn't have a wing:

Although I'd say your definition is incorrect. There's the lifting body, which you can't call a wing. And the opposite of it, which is essentially the above Lotus 88. (With the addition of venturi effect)
Last edited by mzso on 25 Oct 2018, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
These wings you could technically call strakes because their chord exceeds their span.
Are they? They seem more like swept wings to me.

jjn9128

mzso wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 15:40
jjn9128 wrote:
These wings you could technically call strakes because their chord exceeds their span.
Are they? They seem more like swept wings to me.
If you really want to get into semantics the wing supports are dihedral backwards swept wings :lol:

The supports are symmetrical aerofoils though, the downforce producing bit is just above the tyre. Which are what I called strakes because their chord is about 2x their span.
#aerogandalf

Andres125sx

jjn9128 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 21:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4W0JIN_eT4
Not sure if I'm reading your tone correctly, but being pedantic an aerofoil shaped to produce a force perpendicular to the direction of travel (in this case a force normal to the ground i.e. downforce) with finite span is a wing. These wings you could technically call strakes because their chord exceeds their span. They are trim wings which can be adjusted with or against the front wing flaps to slightly alter/tune the aero-balance and peak downforce of the car.

I like Alan McNish - I think he talks very well about motorsports as he's obviously an enthusiast. He used to do free practice commentary for the BBC which I miss.
English is not my native language so I´m not going to argue about what is a wing and a flap or what´s the difference, but I guess McNish must know what he´s talking about. Maybe he was not accurate if you become pedantic as you say, but anycase I think you should get the idea instead of the words used. My intention was just to talk about the philosophy of the car, wich creates almost all DF with the ground and diffuser

NathanOlder

jjn9128 wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 16:14
A bit of action from the practice race from pre-season testing. Cars look great, they can race wheel-to-wheel, what's not to love?!
https://media.giphy.com/media/7JgWI8lQq ... /giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/cRMG5Kcg6 ... /giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/82MkOligs ... /giphy.gif

Audi and BMW looking strong. Hopefully that bodes well for Virgin too.
One thing I must say is, these cars look pretty good racing here, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact they are racing on a proper bloody circuit, not the crappy street circuits they use! I can understand they dont want to share circuits with F1 as they would look soooo bad on lap times. Why not go to places like, Valencia, Brands Hatch, Zandvoort, Laguna Seca. If they need to use some street circuits, use Adelaide or something. The racing would be so much better on proper circuits with more race craft on show with faster sweeping corners.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marmer

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 11:03
jjn9128 wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 16:14
A bit of action from the practice race from pre-season testing. Cars look great, they can race wheel-to-wheel, what's not to love?!
https://media.giphy.com/media/7JgWI8lQq ... /giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/cRMG5Kcg6 ... /giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/82MkOligs ... /giphy.gif

Audi and BMW looking strong. Hopefully that bodes well for Virgin too.
One thing I must say is, these cars look pretty good racing here, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact they are racing on a proper bloody circuit, not the crappy street circuits they use! I can understand they dont want to share circuits with F1 as they would look soooo bad on lap times. Why not go to places like, Valencia, Brands Hatch, Zandvoort, Laguna Seca. If they need to use some street circuits, use Adelaide or something. The racing would be so much better on proper circuits with more race craft on show with faster sweeping corners.
Perhaps they will now with the faster car. Budapest would be decent as it's tight and some of the shortest straights

Who knows the gen 3 car might be fast enough to not look daft on all the tracks

NathanOlder

I do hope so, the drivers on the grid next season look pretty strong, so some good tracks will make it well worth watching.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

This year the cars are racing with ~270hp and 335ish for qualifying. @900kg that's about the power to weight ratio of a BMW M4 GTS. Which is good for ~1:37 lap around Laguna seca. A gt3 car can do it in the 24's a gt4 car in the 30's for quali and 34's during the race. Im guessing a gen 2 FE can do it in the mid 30's 34 35. Which is admirable for a pure electric race car.
Saishū kōnā

Andres125sx

I´d say they must be much faster. Even if the power/weight ratio is the same to a BMW M4, that´s only one parameter from all the parameters affecting laptimes, like CoG, traction, braking power ,weight transfer while braking and cornering, and obviously DF even if FE use very little, it surely is more than a M4