Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
mzso

Re: Formula E

marmer wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 22:10
Much better Fe race far better track and attack mode placement
I only caught half of it. I didn't enjoy, the Safety car lapping near all of it...
It's pathetic what they do these days with safety cars. Half the "racing" is about watching the cars lined up behind the safety car in short races like these...

NathanOlder

Was only a few laps of safety car, but it did rob us of a great finish.

BMW showing why team orders are vital. Both cars running 1-2 for most of the race only to have the 2 cars screw up. 1 ending in the wall, 1 dropping to 4th.

Just wish they raced on proper tracks
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Juzh

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 13:01

BMW showing why team orders are vital. Both cars running 1-2 for most of the race only to have the 2 cars screw up. 1 ending in the wall, 1 dropping to 4th.

At one point bmws were more than 3s ahead of the pack, then suddenly their lead evaporated and the guy in 2nd place got anxious to get ahead. I wonder how the pack got so close to them in first place with all the battles going on?

NathanOlder

Juzh wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 13:35
NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 13:01

At one point bmws were more than 3s ahead of the pack, then suddenly their lead evaporated and the guy in 2nd place got anxious to get ahead. I wonder how the pack got so close to them in first place with all the battles going on?
I guess the BMW's used more energy early on and were saving power at the end. The rest maybe went the other way

I didn't really pay attention to the figures
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

marmer

not sure on how the tech works. but the attack mode doesn't give you more battery just allows more to be used at once. so it will drain batterys more.

when in attack mode drivers can still avoid using all the power.

could teams effectivly run a more consitant lap time by basically just ignoring the total speed boast from attack mode. running faster in normal mode to stay ahead of the pack for example while everyone else is saving to use attack mode to its fullest

jjn9128

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 15:04
I guess the BMW's used more energy early on and were saving power at the end. The rest maybe went the other way

I didn't really pay attention to the figures
The BMW's built their lead as the guys behind were squabbling over 3rd. They then used attack mode to build the gap. The gap was then shut when the cars behind armed the attack mode. 25kW extra for 4 minutes was more than enough to close the 3s lead.

The way the battery management ebbs and flows is interesting... at one point the Audi cars looked to be falling off the cliff then a few laps later they were back on the pace. Personally I find these strategies more interesting than the equivalent F1 fuel and tyre saving.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 16:49
The way the battery management ebbs and flows is interesting... at one point the Audi cars looked to be falling off the cliff then a few laps later they were back on the pace. Personally I find these strategies more interesting than the equivalent F1 fuel and tyre saving.
I'd rather have more on-track action than having to resort to watching numbers changing to not get bored.

Zynerji

Once again, overly prescribed rules ruins the racing.

FE will never overtake F1 with the belief that artificial limitations improve the show.

After watching Riyadh, I decided to skip this one.

NathanOlder

And I love the Verstappen punishment by the FIA. 1 of his days punishment service for the Ocon incident was to attend the FE. As Sam Bird said, it makes it look like an F1 driver was punished by making him attend an FE race. How bad does that make FE look :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 18:59
And I love the Verstappen punishment by the FIA. 1 of his days punishment service for the Ocon incident was to attend the FE. As Sam Bird said, it makes it look like an F1 driver was punished by making him attend an FE race. How bad does that make FE look :lol:
Quite right. But. did you notice how many of the Mercedes F1 team were there?
They were either checking out their drivers of 'investigating'.

If they were checking their driver, Pascal has another black mark, two if you count him crashing out.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

Big Tea wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 20:06

If they were checking their driver, Pascal has another black mark, two if you count him crashing out.
Toto was there because HWA becomes a Mercedes factory team next year. He was in Ad Diriyah as well.

Not much Wehrlein could do about the contact as he was rear ended by Di Grassi, he did do a fantastic quali lap though... regardless his Mercedes contract is now terminated. Paffett and Vandoorne didn't cover themselves in glory when they're fighting over seats for next year, colliding at the first corner.

NathanOlder wrote:
Verstappen's punishment only looks like that if you ignore that the reason he was there was to observe the how the stewards operate and make decisions during a race. An FIA winter series is the perfect opportunity as it's the F1 off season.

mzso wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 17:57
I'd rather have more on-track action than having to resort to watching numbers changing to not get bored.
I guess you didn't actually watch the race then... there was more action in this one weekend of Formula E than half a season of F1.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

Zynerji wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 18:15
Once again, overly prescribed rules ruins the racing.

FE will never overtake F1 with the belief that artificial limitations improve the show.
Which rules exactly are you referring to??

Zynerji wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 18:15
After watching Riyadh, I decided to skip this one.
Why post here then?
#aerogandalf

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 22:36
Big Tea wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 20:06

Toto was there because HWA becomes a Mercedes factory team next year. He was in Ad Diriyah as well.

Not much Wehrlein could do about the contact as he was rear ended by Di Grassi, he did do a fantastic quali lap though... regardless his Mercedes contract is now terminated. Paffett and Vandoorne didn't cover themselves in glory when they're fighting over seats for next year, colliding at the first corner.

NathanOlder wrote:
Verstappen's punishment only looks like that if you ignore that the reason he was there was to observe the how the stewards operate and make decisions during a race. An FIA winter series is the perfect opportunity as it's the F1 off season.

mzso wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 17:57
I guess you didn't actually watch the race then... there was more action in this one weekend of Formula E than half a season of F1.

I had not realised that HWA is to become a Mercedes. I thought all the attention would have some significance.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Manoah2u

Vandoorne showing perfectly why he has been ditched from F1 in both races.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

turbof1

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 13:49
Vandoorne showing perfectly why he has been ditched from F1 in both races.
To be fair, he was doing very well in qualifying until the point his car broke down.

His action at the start, though, yeah... . A little bit too desperate.
#AeroFrodo