Pikes Peak

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
andylaurence

Re: Pikes Peak

It's a road, not a race track, so there's bumps. That's why the car rides so high and I bet it's pretty softly sprung. That means lots of pitch and roll, which means you can't push the limits as much as you would with a stable platform to work with as the risk of separation is greater.

MadMatt

andylaurence wrote:It's a road, not a race track, so there's bumps. That's why the car rides so high and I bet it's pretty softly sprung. That means lots of pitch and roll, which means you can't push the limits as much as you would with a stable platform to work with as the risk of separation is greater.
Yes I agree with you. It is a shame they didn't say at what speed they achieve this downforce value tho.

http://www.planete-gt.com/wp-content/up ... que-19.jpg

With such little elevation at the back, they will surely avoid separation. :)

Have you also seen how they bring air to the intercoolers? I think it is a very clever way:

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/8598/lzmn.jpg

Reminds me on how I plan to do it on my own sportscar (a little bit): http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=9338 as I plan to pass the air through the doors! :)

Finally, what do you think about the strangely shaped side skirt (especially just behind the wheel)? Looks like a wing!

http://blogautomobile.fr/wp-content/upl ... eak.14.jpg

(All pictures are bigger if opened in a new window).

:)
Last edited by MadMatt on 19 Aug 2013, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

andylaurence

Showing the numbers, they'll want to show the biggest possible, so you can assume they'll be at the top speed of the car, which has also been stated, I believe. The intercooler solution is an interesting one. There will be high pressure there because they wanted to keep the outside looking like a 208. They probably decided it was a good idea to use that high pressure zone to feed the intercoolers. I'd be worried about debris getting through there given the venue and the large sticky tyres just ahead. I know I get a lot of stones and tyre rubber in my sidepods.

KeithYoung

Mad Matt I can't get those images to open in a new window. Can you edit the post and put the link url under the images?

MadMatt

KeithYoung wrote:Mad Matt I can't get those images to open in a new window. Can you edit the post and put the link url under the images?
Done!

langwadt

MadMatt wrote:
KeithYoung wrote:Mad Matt I can't get those images to open in a new window. Can you edit the post and put the link url under the images?
Done!

right click and "view image" (or what ever it is called in the browser you are using) also works

KeithYoung

MadMatt wrote:
Done!
Thanks

gixxer_drew

Thats not new, come on guys, I even saw a lego LMP car with wheelhouse inlets.

gixxer_drew

I just realized we have a quoted downforce value on the previous page that I missed somehow. I would pretty much hang my hat on that quoted speed being 150mph.

flynfrog

sorry for the bump but just found this on netflix

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/189319

Return To Millen Mountain

Pretty cool shots of the building the millen car from 2011

MadMatt

Time to bump this thread, the 2015 edition is approaching.

Cody Loveland's car work in progress.

Harvey

Now that the whole course is paved, and current F1 engines are turbo'd, how competitive would a contemporary F1 car be up the hill? I know they're down on power and number of driven wheels, but they could probably have a decent showing, no?

wesley123

Pikes PEak mandates a roll cage, something a F1 car doesn't have. I believe it was planned in 2013 to use a Red Bull F1 car up the hill, but as it wasn't eligible they ended up in an effort with Peugeot.

I'm not certain they are competitive, though as they lack horsepower and afaik downforce as well.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

langwadt

I wonder if someone will try a fan car now that the track is paved

MadMatt

I think the road is quite bumpy! It is also very dirty, so you want a car that is easy to drive. F1 car would be too stiff/harsh to drive. Plus it would be just too fast. As they are running Norma prototypes, I wouldn't mind seeing a boosted Osella FA30 there.

The thing is that there are a lot of slow corners/airpins, so you want good traction (remember I said the road was slippery). This is the key, as you can easily lose 1 second per airpin if you have too much wheelspin. The 208T16 of Loeb really ticked all boxes to set a good time, and honestly you need 4wd here.