IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: IndyCar Series

Marshall Pruett: Safer? Barriers? More thoughts on Dario Franchitti's terrible crash
As people scream about street courses and IndyCar's spec chassis, let's focus on the fences.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/voices/colu ... in-indycar
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

lizardfolk

IndyCar finale

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ANYzZlmZF0[/youtube]

Probably the best oval race I've seen in a long time

lizardfolk

The accident in Houston forces Franchitti to retire :(

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mo ... h/3537295/

NathanOlder

Anyone find it strange that once the cars were all changed for 2012, The 2 guys that dominated nearly every week before that were nowhere.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

McMrocks
McMrocks

NathanOlder wrote:Anyone find it strange that once the cars were all changed for 2012, The 2 guys that dominated nearly every week before that were nowhere.
do you refer to Power and Dario?

NathanOlder

McMrocks wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Anyone find it strange that once the cars were all changed for 2012, The 2 guys that dominated nearly every week before that were nowhere.

i do indeed.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

lizardfolk

NathanOlder wrote:
McMrocks wrote:

i do indeed.
Power is still a front runner. He's just had horrible luck in 2013 and he's shown great form in the DW12. I don't know why Dario lost his edge recently. But it's likely down to the IR07 being around for so long that the top teams have gotten it figured out from and back. Hopefully aero kits in 2014 and on means that competition will be switched up =D>

munudeges
munudeges

lizardfolk wrote:
munudeges wrote:
My goodness. What kind of track surface is that? :shock:
A track for people who don't like super smooth sterile Tilkedomes.
:roll: I've seen better and safer drainage at my local swimming baths. No running, shouting or peeing in the shallow end at that track presumably?

But, that's the head in the sand talking again. It's a shame that Franchitti has had to retire because of an accident like that.

FW17

FW17

lizardfolk

munudeges wrote: :roll: I've seen better and safer drainage at my local swimming baths. No running, shouting or peeing in the shallow end at that track presumably?

But, that's the head in the sand talking again
:roll: So both sports cars and open wheel cars raced there in the rain fine and there wasn't any large puddles standing. And the World Challenge races had heavy rain btw. You done trying to be a wise arse? What... next you'll say the V8 Supercars shouldn't race at Adelaide or the Homebush because it wasn't ruined by Tilke. Besides, what's the draining like at Monaco or Macau? There's only so much you can do at a street course.
munudeges wrote:It's a shame that Franchitti has had to retire because of an accident like that.
Franchitti didn't have to retire because that crash alone. That crash aggravated injuries left over from previous crashes both in IndyCar and NASCAR. Franchitti has had multiple massive shunts both at Talladega in the NASCARs and at Indy's super speedways. Great example

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuGWJaVAMe4[/youtube]

There's plenty more if you care to search. Dario seems to find himself in the worse crashes on both street circuits and ovals. Mike Conway alone said he quit ovals because of how dangerous it is and said that the street and road courses are fine (doing road course only in 2014 for Indy)

The Houston crash was typical for a street course with a very fast turn. Look at Adelaide Turn 9 (and someone has even died there in tin tops before in 2007).

This is what happens when people try to bash something they don't actually watch or understand. Care for another try?

munudeges
munudeges

Large puddles? They're lakes that invite uncontrolled aquaplaning and a ludicrous track surface that invites accidents. I'm afraid it's not 'skill' driving on that as some desperately try and tell us, it's pot luck. No, I've never seen Monaco or even Macau like that and neither has anyone else.

Franchitti retired after that accident, not after any previous ones, and it was pretty clear it was more violent than most can imagine.

It never ceases to amaze the mental gymnastics that are performed over Indycar's pretty obvious, and not so obvious, problems.

lizardfolk

munudeges wrote:Large puddles? They're lakes that invite uncontrolled aquaplaning and a ludicrous track surface that invites accidents. I'm afraid it's not 'skill' driving on that as some desperately try and tell us, it's pot luck. No, I've never seen Monaco or even Macau like that and neither has anyone else.
They are? Well, I suppose it's magic that the World Challenge cars are able to race and, many times, fight two wide at this street circuits then going through those "lakes" that you described. I suppose it's also magic that the World Challenge cars didn't aquaplane as much as you described.

Just an FYI the surface is concrete. It's the exact same surface as Sebring which ALMS holds the prestigious 12 Hours of Sebring at. I've never heard Audi, Peugeot, or any team from ALMS complain about the concrete surface despite how bumpy it is and how strange the transitions can be like here at Houston.

Oh... another thing about Sebring... it's rained heavily there as well

Again... concrete surface... Similar conditions to Houston. Yet... no complaints from the WEC teams or ALMS teams?
munudeges wrote:Franchitti retired after that accident, not after any previous ones, and it was pretty clear it was more violent than most can imagine.
Had Franchitti not been involved in 3 previous back injuring shunts in both NASCAR and IndyCar he wouldn't have had to retire from that accident. Franchitti's retirement was a build up. It wasn't completely because of one specific shunt. That's what I'm trying to point out and what you are refusing to get (despite, assuming based on your comments, not following Franchitti's career)
munudeges wrote:It never ceases to amaze the mental gymnastics that are performed over Indycar's pretty obvious, and not so obvious, problems.
It never ceases to amaze me how closed minded some can be. It's obvious you dont follow ALMS, IndyCar, or NASCAR (judging by your ignorance of Franchitti's injuries in NASCAR). And, again judging by your ignorant comments, you've probably never watched the 12 Hours of Sebring (which is one of the races Audi uses to prepare for Le Mans btw) or a Houston race (that same track was used in ChampCar, Indycar, and World Challenge... just an fyi this isn't a "new" track). So tell me. On such little information and Franchitti needing to retire from the wreck he had at Houston you've decided to condemn IndyCar, the Houston track, and... essentially... any track with a concrete surface?

=D>

fritticaldi

Arie Luyendyk Jnr. had a test with Dale Coyne Racing and appears set to have a race seat in 2014. What a turn around after it seemed his career was fading into oblivion.

Sombrero
Sombrero

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk-oMAyJwTM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozVLsxdKXVw[/youtube]

Well, it's time to look back at great indy drivers...