IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
FW17

Re: IndyCar Series

Why does indy have so many street races? They are expensive and safety is always compramised.

munudeges

Pierce89 wrote:Also to Seg: to paraphrase, you said " At the speed indycars are traveling they have a lot more energy than Nascars". That's essentially only true in the center of the corner. I saw Nascars over 210 mph plenty of times this season.
That depends on where you measure the speed and simply picking speeds from speed traps will not do. In the corners I would hazard a guess it would be somewhat different. On so called 'street courses, an entirely different kettle of fish.

The point is, as soon as you destabilise one of these cars it will not 'right' itself in any way shape or form. They are aerodynamically very poor, rather like when a Formula 1 car with skirts was a hellish thing to watch when it was destabilised. 'Not enough downforce' is probably not a good choice of phrase, but not aerodynamically stable enough would be more accurate. Doing a NASCAR comparison doesn't help the argument.

Indycars need to decide what they want to be.

wesley123

You are pretty much blaming Indycar for a general problem with high downforce vehicles. Please name a class with high downforce vehicles where the car wouldn't become unstable when the downforce is lost. The Indycar is no worse than LMP's, Formula 1 or any other high-downforce series.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

lizardfolk

Let me ask you a question, what exactly do you mean by "aerodynamically unstable". What high downforce car exactly doesn't become unstable when downforce is suddenly taken away or disrupted? You're acting as if IndyCars flip on a whim or if you take away a bit of the front wing suddenly an IndyCar will be upside down.

Explain exactly how an IndyCar is that aerodynamically unstable to the point of being dangerous?
munudeges wrote:Doing a NASCAR comparison doesn't help the argument.
A NASCAR car to car comparison is not apt. What is more apt is the aerodynamic nature of oval racing. Look at the Daytona Prototypes. The nature of ovals (or just very high banked corners with extreme speeds) means that any slight change in aerodynamics can have very very catastrophic effects on a car. This is a picture of a daytona prototype that flipped wildly while testing at the Daytona 24hr road course just a few months ago.

This is also not the old Daytona Prototype. This is the new IMSA penned improvements to the DPs to make them competitive with the LMP2s. Which means more downforce, more efficient brakes, more technology. Better use of downforce and more ground effects. So despite all these technological improvements done by the USCR series to make the DPs match the P2s much better... stuff like this still happens on very high speed banked corners.

Going back to the question of safety in the IndyCars... let's not even look at the DW12 yet. Let's look at the older IR03 chassis.

Do you remember Ralf Schumacher's crashes at the banked corners of the Indy GP? He got injured didn't he?

This is a far more serious crash in the IR03 (remember the IndyCars used the same chassis from 2003-2010) at the same corner

And both Meira and Matos were far less injured than Schumacher in that crash. And the DW12 is a drastic improvement in terms of safety and aerodynamics than that crappy IR03 chassis

You're going to have to start being more specific on these "issues" munudeges.
WilliamsF1 wrote:Why does indy have so many street races? They are expensive and safety is always compramised.
Money. IndyCar has a large sanctioning fee that street course venues are fine paying. They also tend to draw the biggest crowds at Indy. The Sao Paolo race was sold out.
munudeges wrote:
Indycars need to decide what they want to be.
It has, it doesn't want to be an American GP2. There's no one "holy way" to build an open wheeler and the European mindset of open wheel design is certainly not anywhere near "the best" way as the racing has proven recently.

Sombrero

I wonder what car is fastest in race pace in 2014 ?

a) Dallara DW12

or

b) the fastest F-1 hybrid 2014 (691 kg) ?

Sushant008

@lizardfolk Just saw your Youtube video. I'm so sorry mate :cry: . This is pathetic. But I just beg you please don't stop uploading IndyCar Race videos [-o< . There is absolutely no coverage in my country, the only way I can follow IndyCar is you and the same can be said for almost every other follower of yours. Just use another channel like IndySnakeV2 or even use Dailymotion. Hoping for the best mate. Good luck! :)

cossie

Sushant008 wrote:@lizardfolk Just saw your Youtube video. I'm so sorry mate :cry: . This is pathetic. But I just beg you please don't stop uploading IndyCar Race videos [-o< . There is absolutely no coverage in my country, the only way I can follow IndyCar is you and the same can be said for almost every other follower of yours. Just use another channel like IndySnakeV2 or even use Dailymotion. Hoping for the best mate. Good luck! :)

ChrisF1

BTSport and ESPN are supposed to be doing the UK Coverage this year, but there is nothing listed on any channel according to my Virgin media box.

I go away on holiday in 8 hours and need to set the recording - anybody know anything?

cossie

Blow it AOW racing up. Poor product, hidious cars spec racing and no they would not even come close to the F1 backmarker's the engine's sound even worse

Sombrero

For Indy Car Series : look hideous, sound terrible but the racing is fine.

For F-1 : look hideous, sound terrible and the racing is poor...

Well, that's it.

ChrisF1

ChrisF1 wrote:BTSport and ESPN are supposed to be doing the UK Coverage this year, but there is nothing listed on any channel according to my Virgin media box.

I go away on holiday in 8 hours and need to set the recording - anybody know anything?
Anybody know?

kooleracer

sunday at 10 CET (9 UK) on ESPN HD
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Cuky

This season has started quite well, at least in my opinion.

Practice 1:

Top 18 drivers were inside 1 second, difference between 1st and 2nd was +0.0059 :shock:

Practice 2:

In P2 19 drivers were inside 1 second, while whole field was inside 1,8 seconds. There was little more stopping in 2nd session when drivers started to push more and mistakes came along.

Here are highlights of day 1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjliZvfJ_o0[/youtube]

ChrisF1

kooleracer wrote:sunday at 10 CET (9 UK) on ESPN HD
Cheers, now set to record!

Sombrero