IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Jolle
Jolle

Re: IndyCar Series

Pole time COTA Indycar Will Powel: 01:46.0177
Pole time COTA F1 Lewis Hamilton: 01:32.237

Thats a big difference... This makes Indycar probably a bit slower then F2 and a bit faster then F3.

Scorpaguy

Always wanted to see Indy cars on a F1 track...now not so much. The "no track limits" call was strange...not sure the race would have been better with track limits.

subcritical71

Scorpaguy wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 04:02
Always wanted to see Indy cars on a F1 track...now not so much. The "no track limits" call was strange...not sure the race would have been better with track limits.
I actually liked the call, in principle, to not enforce track limits. I get frustrated when ‘enforcing’ track limits becomes arbitrary and inconsistently applied, ie, only certain times, conditions, turns, after so many offenses, etc.

jjn9128

Jolle wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 19:14

Thats a big difference... This makes Indycar probably a bit slower then F2 and a bit faster then F3.
Why does that matter? It's a couple seconds slower than the last WEC qualifying too, but the racing in Indycar is a country mile better than F1. I never understand the fixation on laptime when all you get is very fast cars processing around a track basically in the order they started.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

FW17

jjn9128 wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 10:22
Jolle wrote:

Why does that matter? It's a couple seconds slower than the last WEC qualifying too, but the racing in Indycar is a country mile better than F1. I never understand the fixation on laptime when all you get is very fast cars processing around a track basically in the order they started.
There is far better racing in F2 and one need not be worried about full course cautions and pit stops that make things so much like WWE

marmer
marmer

Those full course yellows are awful. Only makes sense on ovals

Also world's slowest martials to clear the small amount of debris at the pit lane.

The no track limits at the 2nd to last corner really helped and I hope they just change the track to that as it allows cars to stay much closer to the car in front to set up a move into the 1st corner

subcritical71

marmer wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 11:00
Those full course yellows are awful. Only makes sense on ovals
Agree with that! It’s one change I wish indycar would make. Overall though, I think the race was good. Did anyone predict Herta to win this one?

subcritical71

marmer wrote:
The no track limits at the 2nd to last corner really helped and I hope they just change the track to that as it allows cars to stay much closer to the car in front to set up a move into the 1st corner
I think that worked only because the inside car had to take a line that didn’t push the outside car off (edit: in the case where the outside car stays within the track limits), but the outside car had a choice to go wide and therefore gain the advantage (inside car had to go into corner conservative). If both cars go in knowing the outside cars line will be wide (as in the case of an expanded track layout) it gives the inside car more leeway to also go wider and faster through that turn.

santos
santos

Jolle wrote:

The HRT from 2012 was faster than a Indycar at this circuit.

turbof1

Just a very friendly reminder the topic is about the Indycar Series. We can accept to a degree comparisons to F1, just that comparing on a specific circuit can open the door to off topic discussion. So do dial everything back to indy car when discussing comparisons.
#AeroFrodo

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

jjn9128 wrote:
Jolle wrote:

I’m not sure if the “racing” is that much better... It seems artificially induced to me.

I watched the race yesterday and noticed a few things:

A) The top 3 were maintaining position and gaps for most of the race, there wasn’t a lot of wheel to wheel action between them.

B) Most of the “passing” during the race was due to the deltas in lap times created by the pit stops and new vs old tires... With as many cars as they have, you are bound to have a “front” car with new tires in the middle of the field and that will create some action... Multiply this by 3 or 4 times (number of pitsops) and you get a lot of passing (which happens in F1 when a top team starts from back in the grid).

I’ll admit that I didn’t enjoyed it as much probably because I’m not too familiar with the cars and the drivers and it was hard to follow sometimes in regards to who is who (I will also admit that if I don’t have an “emotional” investment - not a fan of any team) it’s harder to enjoy the race as much since I don’t care much about who might win / lose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

santos
santos

jjn9128 wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 10:22
Jolle wrote:

F1 and Indycar are the top categories of open wheel racing. I think its very natural that people compare them. I don't think that looking at the times you can say witch one is better. I don't even think that makes sense saying that one categorie is better than other. Comparing times is just mere curiosity. It's been a long time that Indycar and F1 have the same circuit on the calendar.

marmer
marmer

subcritical71 wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 12:50
marmer wrote:
I think that worked only because the inside car had to take a line that didn’t push the outside car off (edit: in the case where the outside car stays within the track limits), but the outside car had a choice to go wide and therefore gain the advantage (inside car had to go into corner conservative). If both cars go in knowing the outside cars line will be wide (as in the case of an expanded track layout) it gives the inside car more leeway to also go wider and faster through that turn.
I am not talking when car is already side by side. I am saying on exit if both cars run equally wide the car behind can follow easier than the tighter official track lines.

Which keeps them close for the the final corner

In F1 cars normally spread out more at that point and then it's harder to make it back up again it's possible just harder.

strad

It should have shown how ridiculous it is to not make racers adhere to track limits. IMO it was just dumb.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Scorpaguy

...a complete lack of track limits on this race made for difficult passing. Solve all the problems and eliminate paved runoff areas...grass only.