IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Morteza

Re: IndyCar Series

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

trinidefender

I don't really follow the technicalities of IndyCar. Just thought I may try to learn a bit more as FA is competing with McLaren for the 500.

From a technical standpoint, I know it is largely a spec series with the engines coming from 1 of 2 suppliers. What are teams actually allowed to change? How much does the aero vary between street and oval tracks?

j2004p

trinidefender wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 15:20
I don't really follow the technicalities of IndyCar. Just thought I may try to learn a bit more as FA is competing with McLaren for the 500.

From a technical standpoint, I know it is largely a spec series with the engines coming from 1 of 2 suppliers. What are teams actually allowed to change? How much does the aero vary between street and oval tracks?
Quite a nice technical piece on the actual indycar website showing the differences between Oval and Road Course configurations.

https://www.indycar.com/Fan-Info/INDYCA ... figuration

jjn9128

Also comparing speedway to road/short oval:

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Just_a_fan

Why do they call Gurney flaps "wickers"? Also, interesting that they are required to run the rear wing nose up. So effectively making little / no downforce. Are they just wanting to make the teams run a bit of drag at the rear to help with stability?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 18:04
Why do they call Gurney flaps "wickers"?
I read a book saying the English (not that I'd heard the term before reading the book) steadfastly call them 'Nolders'. It's only a Gurney flap because of Dan Gurney, I find it more interesting that that name has spread beyond motorsport.
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 18:04
Also, interesting that they are required to run the rear wing nose up. So effectively making little / no downforce. Are they just wanting to make the teams run a bit of drag at the rear to help with stability?
Nose up doesn't necessarily mean no downforce, the 0 lift condition will be at a fairly substantial nose up incidence. The small camber and blended tip should mean little drag so it's a comparatively high efficiency wing. It's only job is to balance the front wing - for an aerobalance of ~30-35% front.

Actual numbers 33 to 232 lb from min to max angle. Normally Americans quote pounds at 200mi/hr which gives CzS = -0.216 to -1.474m^2, based on that zero lift is at around 9.7deg nose up.

EDIT: Thinking about it the numbers above seemed wrong I'd expect the rear wing to be a quarter of the car's downforce in road configuration - which is only around CzS = -1.25 to -1.38m^2 (car total is ~5 to -5.5m^2). The measurements are pound-force which gives a CzS = -0.0303 to -0.213m^2, which is much more reasonable. The zero lift point is still -9.7deg. Also why do Americans use such stupid units when the entirety of the world uses S.I.???!?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

bosanac1

Anyone know what kind of downforce they run now around road courses?

I was reading interview recently and they said that they have lot less downforce with UAK18 kits than individual kits they ran before quote was "several thousand pounds less" What kinda of ScZ are they now? F2 level?

Also is there minimum ride heights in Indycar?

jjn9128

bosanac1 wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 23:17
Anyone know what kind of downforce they run now around road courses?

I was reading interview recently and they said that they have lot less downforce with UAK18 kits than individual kits they ran before quote was "several thousand pounds less" What kinda of ScZ are they now? F2 level?

Also is there minimum ride heights in Indycar?
Cz around 3 using a frontal area of 1.5m^2 (~5000lb-f or 22.24kN at 200mi/hr)
#aerogandalf

bosanac1

How reliable are those figures?
I am surprised Cz is that high compared to F1.

Thought they didn't make that much downforce.

From what I recall someone mentioned Cz for Mercedes last year was 3.3

roon

When factoring in suspension & tire performance, and mass, downforce figures alone become a less reliable point of comparison. Yaw, roll, and pitch effects not represented, either.

Morteza

Morteza

Porsche cooling on IndyCar interest
Talks between the NTT IndyCar Series and German auto manufacturer Porsche regarding a future engine supply agreement have come to light.

RACER has followed the topic with interest in recent weeks as the possibility of signing Porsche to become an official supplier gained momentum behind the scenes. With a new 2.4-liter twin-turbo V6 engine formula due in 2021, IndyCar has held numerous meetings with a variety of manufacturers, including the German auto and racing powerhouse, which are believed to have started in January at Daytona.

roon

    
Last edited by roon on 19 May 2019, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.