IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Wouter

Re: IndyCar Series

By: Robin Miller | 13 minutes ago

McLaren has turned to Andretti Autosport to try and get Fernando Alonso in the Indianapolis 500. RACER has learned that McLaren made a deal to put Andretti’s ultra-strong damper program on Alonso’s car.

The two-time world champion had them on his car Sunday morning for practice but only made a couple hot laps before rain washed out the rest of the session.

Nobody from McLaren or Andretti would confirm RACER’s report but one mechanic said it was true and that “it’s a crapshoot, a shot in the dark, but they McLaren) had to try something.”

NBC cameras caught a team member from Andretti Technologies on the McLaren timing stand during the aborted practice period, which caught the attention of many.
https://racer.com/2019/05/19/mclaren-ge ... -shootout/
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

Looks like Alonso isn't racing the 500 this year :?
Saishū kōnā

Scorpaguy

Nando...NOT IN :wtf:

McLaren bested by Indy's smallest team.
Last edited by Scorpaguy on 19 May 2019, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

AMG.Tzan

What an utter disgrace this team is...unbelievable!
Kyle Kaiser: 227.372
Fernando Alonso: 227.353

What 0.019 mp/h can do...
Last edited by AMG.Tzan on 19 May 2019, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Scorpaguy

...in retrospect, maybe for the best. That car was not going to be competitive anyway. I for one do not want to see Nando foundering in the race...finishing 4 laps down (which given the speed difference, was quite possible).

subcritical71

Scorpaguy wrote:
19 May 2019, 23:10
...in retrospect, maybe for the best. That car was not going to be competitive anyway. I for one do not want to see Nando foundering in the race...finishing 4 laps down (which given the speed difference, was quite possible).
The race would be quite different. Disappointing to see him out, but that’s life. They do pile on the downforce from qualifying.

Scorpaguy

subcritical71 wrote:
19 May 2019, 23:32
Scorpaguy wrote:
The race would be quite different. Disappointing to see him out, but that’s life. They do pile on the downforce from qualifying.
True...but a win would have required massive luck and divine intervention in the form of a miraculous car improvement and perfectly timed yellow flags.

...but a Cinderella story of a win from 33rd would have been epic. The world is all a twitter now about Zak buying a slot.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bill shoe
bill shoe

Highly respect Alonso and McLaren, but I'm proud to be an American today. If Zac Brown wants to earn his way in then it'll be a long wait. And, are you kidding me, who was the poster who thought Alonso and McLaren had a prayer to win starting 33rd? They were on course to start (pre-bump) 33rd because they were genuinely the 33rd best team. It's not F1 where you get a silly grid penalty for an MGU-K change or something and you start towards the back but you are really one of the quickest cars...

roon
roon

Scorpaguy wrote:
...in retrospect, maybe for the best. That car was not going to be competitive anyway.
Why is that? Strictly down to set up? I understand the chassis, the bodywork, and the two engine choices are spec items. Are springs and dampers also? Why can't an established and well funded team arrive and flip the right switches and turn the right dials when they seemingly have the same car as everyone else?

Zynerji

roon wrote:
20 May 2019, 01:55
Scorpaguy wrote:
...in retrospect, maybe for the best. That car was not going to be competitive anyway.
Why is that? Strictly down to set up? I understand the chassis, the bodywork, and the two engine choices are spec items. Are springs and dampers also? Why can't an established and well funded team arrive and flip the right switches and turn the right dials when they seemingly have the same car as everyone else?
Funding, and possibly hubris. More than likely, it's simply not understanding how to bend the Indy rules like they know how to bend the F1 rules, and everyone else does.

roon
roon

Morteza wrote:
19 May 2019, 01:52
By the way what's with McLaren and all this nostalgia thing? Just because they won the 500 a billion years ago...
I too wonder where this is coming from. Ditching one of if not the best F1 livery ever, for... orange. Playing up the '15 Honda deal. Now this.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dren

roon wrote:
Scorpaguy wrote:
Car set-up. You don't just show up to Indy with a car and expect to compete like Mclaren did. It sounds like they were loaned a set of dampers from Andretti and car set-up notes from Penske. They improved, but still didn't have it sorted. It's quite embarrassing, and comical.
Honda!

subcritical71

dren wrote:
20 May 2019, 16:11
roon wrote:
Scorpaguy wrote:
Car set-up. You don't just show up to Indy with a car and expect to compete like Mclaren did. It sounds like they were loaned a set of dampers from Andretti and car set-up notes from Penske. They improved, but still didn't have it sorted. It's quite embarrassing, and comical.
McLaren seemed to buy into the ‘spec series’ moniker. It seems hard to believe they could come so unprepared. And then to partner with Carlin, whom had only 1 of 3 cars qualify! That means that every car that did not qualify was a Carlin related car. Somebody isn’t doing their homework. As much as they deserve it, the ratings will take a hit. I would guess by the coverage I’ve seen that more people know that Alonso didn’t make it then who is actually on pole.