IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
bill shoe

Re: IndyCar Series

I appreciate all the thought and research that IndyCar put into considering whether the windscreen would reduce the human element of this formerly open-cockpit racing series. :D :D :D No, I'm kidding... they didn't consider that at all.

Indycar's info is just a lot of technical details and more technical details. No consideration whether it removes the fan's connection to the human that steers the damn thing. No recognition that the drivers are there to entertain and serve the fans, including in dangerous circumstances.

So yea, Indycars will become fully-enclosed cars with little emasculated sunroofs.

I'll attend this year's Indycar race at the Texas superspeedway knowing it's the end of an era. You really do notice all the subtle human movements inside the cockpit, even at 200 mph and from dozens of rows up. I figure nobody in Indycar leadership has any recent experience from a fan's perspective like that.

jjn9128

This is a really interesting article from Racer magazine. Basically their issue with the halo for visibility on banked ovals was wrong when they actually tested it in the simulator. The single front spar is because the strong point on the chassis is there. Likewise the shape at the rear is to fix to the roll hoop mount, which is sufficiently strong to take the loads.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

theblackangus

bill shoe wrote:
24 May 2019, 21:40
No recognition that the drivers are there to entertain and serve the fans, including in dangerous circumstances.
I don't really agree with this statement.
Drivers are there to race for themselves and the teams, not to serve the fans.
Fans are there to enjoy the racing competition, which may or may not be impacted by the halo.
If the halo breaks your enjoyment then, the fan base will drop and indycar management will notice.
This may lead to better in car cameras to allow you to see those fine nuances, etc again
For the most part on TV any shot at a distance you can't see subtle movements, and the in-cars/on-car cameras should hopefully be changed to allow us to still see the drivers movements.

If you think athletes are there to serve the fans that is just wrong on many levels.
Most athletes are actually pretty good folk and like to interact with people that enjoy the same things they do, but they are not "serving" the fans.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Andres125sx

Loved the video, thanks Mort =D>

mzso

jjn9128 wrote:
24 May 2019, 17:25
subcritical71 wrote:
24 May 2019, 17:22
Actually, I believe this is a step up, safety wise, from the halo. It looks like they have incorporated both the halo and original aeroscreen solutions into one. While I don't like it aesthetically, I would have to say that it may do a better job than then current halo does, especially at smaller debris that could bypass the halo and impact the driver.

I could see the FIA/F1 adopting this.
The only thing I find interesting is that Indycar initially rejected the halo for reasons of "visibility" on ovals. It looks like this device may be taller to counter that, but it seems to be a reversal on that position.
Yeah... It silly that they didn't engineer out the center strut...
Also, it's foolish that they didn't extend the driver's peripheral vision

mzso

Jolle wrote:
24 May 2019, 17:53
The biggest problem with a screen like this for F1 is rain, which on ovals they don’t have to deal with.
I doubt it. They'll just coat it with a non-stick surface. Droplets will just bounce off.

Sevach

Great Battle between Pagenaud and Rossi, impressive how tight Pagenaud's car could run the circuit.

Congratulations to the Frenchman.

Morteza

What a finish! Those final laps were absolutely fire. Congratulations to Simon on pole position and win, he also won the Indianapolis race earlier this month =D>
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Scorpaguy

Hmmmm...a race with passing, even the leaders passing each other. Who would have thought?

Maritimer

So happy I live in Canada and got to stream the race on TSN as I always have :x

Sevach

Scorpaguy wrote:
27 May 2019, 03:40
Hmmmm...a race with passing, even the leaders passing each other. Who would have thought?
That was nooooiiiice palate cleanser after the procession.

marmer

With the aero screen would it be possible for drivers to have open mouthed helmets so fans can see the drivers face

Just_a_fan

Unlikely as they'd still be at risk of flash burns in the event of a crash that released any fuel.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

Indeed. There's also a vent under the front - aiming air into the drivers face - to prevent buffeting on the helmet.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica