IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Maritimer
Maritimer

Re: IndyCar Series

Seems to have come out of nowhere. Penske should be able to get some more attention brought to the series, maybe pull in another OEM in the next few years. They're already looking at running more series in Indy, sports cars or F1 if the right strings can get pulled.

djos

Sounds like he was approached directly by the George family and took them up on the opportunity.
"In downforce we trust"

flynfrog

I think this will be good news pretty hard to do any worse than Tony

djos

flynfrog wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 02:31
I think this will be good news pretty hard to do any worse than Tony
Totally agree, it’s great that the man responsible for destroying open wheel racing in the USA no longer owns the track or series.
"In downforce we trust"

Rodak
Rodak

Yeah. I'm still pissed about the destruction of open wheel racing in the US of A by Tony George. CART was an incredible series and at one point was pushing F1; the split destroyed both CART and INDY. Penske is certainly the person to take the series to a new level. It's too bad he's in his 80's though; he's had an incredible run. Wish him and the series great success.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Jolle
Jolle

Well, pretty clear what the relationship status is of Honda-Alonso 😂

Sevach
Sevach

Not only he kept making embarassing comments about Honda (deserved but unwise), sometimes during the race, but now he's a Toyota man...

I think he probably appears with Mclaren again, this time they'll be better prepared, they'll do the entire season, they have data from the former incarnation of the team they acquired/partnered, and Alonso will have team mates to help set up the car.

Jolle
Jolle

Sevach wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 01:17
Not only he kept making embarassing comments about Honda (deserved but unwise), sometimes during the race, but now he's a Toyota man...

I think he probably appears with Mclaren again, this time they'll be better prepared, they'll do the entire season, they have data from the former incarnation of the team they acquired/partnered, and Alonso will have team mates to help set up the car.
Mercedes might prevent that, now McLaren is switching to the Germans in 2021. They also haven’t forgotten Alonso’s actions during spy gate.

Sevach
Sevach

Jolle wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 01:31
Sevach wrote:

Mercedes might prevent that, now McLaren is switching to the Germans in 2021. They also haven’t forgotten Alonso’s actions during spy gate.
I don't think on a client deal they would have the power to do that.

Jolle
Jolle

Sevach wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 18:58
Jolle wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 01:31
Sevach wrote:

I don't think on a client deal they would have the power to do that.
Mercedes can write whatever they want in a contract, they have no obligation to supply McLaren with engines.

Just like in Saubers contract with Ferrari it states that one of the seats is for a Ferrari protege.

Sevach
Sevach

To get a contract like that Ferrari/Fiat also became Sauber main sponsor(to the point of full naming rights), in addition to (probably) free engines.

Mclaren is gonna be a paying customer, i can't see them eating this much bs, extending beyond F1 even.

Jolle
Jolle

Sevach wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 19:49
To get a contract like that Ferrari/Fiat also became Sauber main sponsor(to the point of full naming rights), in addition to (probably) free engines.

Mclaren is gonna be a paying customer, i can't see them eating this much bs, extending beyond F1 even.
I'm not saying they are, pure speculation. But it does seems striking that they are able to switch back to Mercedes just as Alonso has departed.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Jolle wrote:
Sevach wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 19:49

I'm not saying they are, pure speculation. But it does seems striking that they are able to switch back to Mercedes just as Alonso has departed.
I don’t see a relation between the two... The deal with Mercedes was probably in negotiations from early in the year and unrelated to Alonso been part of Mclaren or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gshevlin
gshevlin

I think that both Mclaren and Fernando Alonso have dynamited the bridge back to Honda for the forseeable future.
So there is no chance of Fernando driving for Andretti at Indianapolis in the immediate future. Plus, running 6 cars would be a severe stretch even for Andretti Autosport.
The reality is that Fernando Alonso's tendency to publicly criticize his teams and suppliers when things are not going well or to his liking has cost him more than one top-flight motor racing opportunity.