Why do go-karts still use carbureturs?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Ciro Pabón

Re: Why do go-karts still use carbureturs?

Yes, that's a clutch, surely it's not a carburetor, I took the first picture I googled of a top fuel engine that looked complex enough.

I said the window for RPMs was wider for EFIs, afaik it can happen at low rpm.

No, I don't have a sister, but if I had one I'm sure she would had low "moral fortitude" or none at all. In my family our strength resides in our weaknesses...

Why are you leaving,flyn? I was thinking it was funny not seeing you around. C'mon, you know we need you.
Ciro

J.A.W.

Actually the limited response speed of (even very fast response voice-coil) injectors was a major reason why..
..carburettors were still in use on the 12,000+ RPM 2-stroke G.P. 125cc bikes putting out ~440hp/Ltr..

Good ol' analog carbies dont suffer such arbitrary digital switching limitations...
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

PocketAce

New here, long time lurker! Hello everyone! :D

In the USA karting is pretty much split: We have tiny groups that are more open to change and engineering innovations (Unlimited All-Stars, perhaps Enduro karting) and the much larger WKA-aligned, spec racing-geared groups (I don't know if the same applies to European karting.)

In my opinion, nothing is wrong with either approach and they can both coexist. Karting is cheap not just for racers, but also for amateur engineers! Karts are fast, parts are cheap and running/testing them (trying new stuff) is cheap because if you mess up there isn't much of a wallet penalty.

Given the chance, karting could create kid racers and kid engineers. That would be really cool.

However, I really do feel like there is a large anti-innovation culture in karting. Like I've said before, there are some open-classes but they are very few. There is nowhere to talk freely about innovative 2-stroke engineering because, as a result of the restrictive culture, no one else is doing it. Thus Open-Class karting is a lonely sport, and 2 stroke innovation is a dark art requiring you to check out 40 year old books at the local library. :shock:

It is a lot of fun, but often open karters like me need to resort to racing in unusual racing disciplines. In my case, I prefer autocross (autoslalom in the UK).

On the topic of fuel injected karts: Modena recently revealed an experimental fuel-injected KZ: (http://www.karting1.co.uk/modena-first- ... injection/) 55 horsepower!

This company sells cheaper 2 stroke EFI kits complete with computer for US$500. I've heard of people playing with this kit, but no idea if they were successful or not. (http://www.ecotrons.com/products/2_stro ... ction_kit/)

I've played with fuel injection, but in my case it is tricky because I need a constant 12V power source, and karts usually don't have alternators :mrgreen:. It is simpler and cheaper to stick to carburators... for now!