WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Sombrero

Re: WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Looks okay (twitter Porsche) for Mark but very big crash.

I think Porsche deserves that brasilian win, Toyota the WCC and Audi the 24h of Le Mans.

It has been a very long time since we had such a good prototyp championship. And in 2015 Nissan is back... I can't wait.

djos

That was massive, thanks for the video.

What is it with Ferrari gt cars causing big crashes with lmp cars in the last few years?
"In downforce we trust"

TzeiTzei

djos wrote: What is it with Ferrari gt cars causing big crashes with lmp cars in the last few years?
Do you know that the Ferrari caused this?

djos

TzeiTzei wrote:
djos wrote: What is it with Ferrari gt cars causing big crashes with lmp cars in the last few years?
Do you know that the Ferrari caused this?
I dont, just remarking that Ferrari GT car + Corner + LMP car has produced some big crashes in recent years - I prolly could have worded it better.
"In downforce we trust"

xwz
xwz

better view of the impact (1:50, 3:40)

That was massive, with the side of the car right into the concrete wall, no tyre barrier or anything. All the best for Mark.

djos

It's super hard to tell but those angles suggest to me that Mark was likely trying to drive down the inside of the Ferrari and was likely tagged by the Ferrari turning left into him not realising he was there.

Iirc that is a pretty wide bit of track so there should have been loads of room to do this.
"In downforce we trust"

WaikeCU

I believe in WEC regulation when lapping other cars. The car being lapped has to hold its line and does not have to move over. That's why Mark probably tried to go inside the Ferrari when there's really no gap on the inside, unless he goes over the pit entrance.

djos

WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

No this happened the corner before the pit entrance. Pit entrance is just where Mark ended up.
"In downforce we trust"

WaikeCU

Oh right, I think it's just a matter of speed difference and Mark either being impatience or taking evasive action, and add to that the Ferrari had to hold its line.

djos

It'd be good to get some on-board footage from a car behind both to clear this up - or spectator footage.
"In downforce we trust"

WaikeCU

After so much renovation of the circuit, I wonder why they still have those concrete walls on one of the fastest parts of the circuit. Why not install SAFER barriers. It's not the first time we've seen crashes at that point of the circuit and when it happens, it's always a massive crash.

Blanchimont

Proper safer barriers really seems to be the way to go at some places.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EDHdB79Pbg[/youtube]

But yesterday at T1, another crash happened, where the safety measurements(not a safer barrier) probably increased the decelerations. Look how fast the car stops in the second video, with a safer barrier it would slide along at it and not stop that suddenly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsrtpxuCQgc[/youtube]
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

kooleracer

Does anyone now what engine and ERS's the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO wil run in 2015?
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

mikeerfol

According to the Ferrari driver Webber lost control first and then hit the Ferrari.

FW17

How many more concussions for webber before he ends up like franchitti?