WRC 2014 season

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
MadMatt

WRC 2014 season

So now that we have the line-up for the 2014 season (for the top teams at least) let's recap:

Volkswagen
Ogier
Latvala
Mikkelsen

M-Sport
Hirvonen
Evans
Kubica

Citroën
Meeke
Ostberg
Al-Qassimi

Hyundai
Neuville
Hänninen (part-season)
Sordo (part-season)
Atkinson (part-season)

With VW's money, I don't see how they can be beaten on the title this year, although I think few victories could still go either M-Sport, Citroën, or Hyundai's way. It looks also like Hyundai are putting the money needed this time so it will be interesting to see what comes up! I heard they are looking at hiring the best driver that will be on the market for 2015 to support Neuville.

:)

Huntresa

Re: WRC 2014 season

MadMatt wrote:So now that we have the line-up for the 2014 season (for the top teams at least) let's recap:

Volkswagen
Ogier
Latvala
Mikkelsen

M-Sport
Hirvonen
Evans
Kubica

Citroën
Meeke
Ostberg
Al-Qassimi

Hyundai
Neuville
Hänninen (part-season)
Sordo (part-season)
Atkinson (part-season)

With VW's money, I don't see how they can be beaten on the title this year, although I think few victories could still go either M-Sport, Citroën, or Hyundai's way. It looks also like Hyundai are putting the money needed this time so it will be interesting to see what comes up! I heard they are looking at hiring the best driver that will be on the market for 2015 to support Neuville.

But how is money a part of it i mean the car Loeb won with in 2012 was it that different from the one driven in 2013 by that team ? What i mean is why wouldnt Hyundai or even Citroen with a potent driver be able to beat the VW, cause i mean even Loeb won with the Citroen in 2013 vs VW.

I should admit i dont follow WRC as much as i would like so the above is a sincere question to anyone who knows more.

Scorpaguy

...Loeb did win events this this year...but was also beaten. Being in the car park this year it was ridiculously evident VW was outspending everyone in a big way. What was also evident was that Citroen began to scale back as the year went on...and M-Sport was not in either league. It appeared to me that VW kept the car brand new everyday...and no shortage of staff.

That may not win rallys...but cannot hurt. Mikko and JML struggled much this year...and Ogier was in a class by himself...so I sum it up to this:

*best car - VW
*Most testing time/highest comfort level - Ogier/VW
*most resources - VW
*best Driver - Ogier

Remember this car/team was built for Ogier...after he got the boot from Citroen for challenging Loeb. Everything just came together for Ogier this year. I think next year will be closer...Mikko, JML, and Thierry will win a round or so...but the title to Ogier/VW if they keep spending money as they have been.

However, if JML gets comfortable with the VW...watch out!

MadMatt

I completely agree with you, but in my opinion it will be difficult for Latala. He missed the "VW-train" and I don't think he is that good to compensate the lack of experience on that car compared to Ogier which is the best driver at the moment.

You are also right in saying Citroen is steeping back (they are in WTCC now). M-Sport have also started a new adventure with the Bentley and a lof of resources are spread there. Not to mention they are supplying and taking care of many different cars (S2000, R5, RRC, R2, etc.) while VW only concentrates on 3 cars.

VW has even time to develop an app for smartphones. They have way too much money and ressources which I say it again, was transferred from the Dakar. Once they will be bored of winning everything, they will quit. I hope Hyundai can give them a hard time, while I hope M-Sport can step up their game!

Cold Fussion

Is there a way of following rallying without resorting to the 30 minute highlight reals they make? The highlights really don't capture wrc all that well IMO, and it would be nice if they had an online system where you could watch the onboards of the cars as they went around.

Scorpaguy

...unfortunately, WRC, WRC live, various youtube/facebook pages are the best source of news without actually going.

Rally is best followed on-site...best motorsport spectacle in the world ...imho.

MadMatt

Actually they plan on improve a lot exposure of the WRC, starting at Monte this year, so stay tuned, I will post infos when I get them.

Also the FIA has planned to make some sort of standard format for the events where the Power stage (the one that gives the drivers extra championship points) will occur on Sunday at noon and will be live!

MadMatt

François Delecour, Monte ace, will return on a Fiesta WRC this year! Should be interesting. :)

Rumours have also been growing about a possible return for Toyota in the WRC for 2016, but also maybe a WRC program for Mercedes or Fiat. Exciting! Also the regulations should remain fairly stable until at least 2016-2017 which is encouraging because rumors have started to spread regarding a possible 3 cylinder turbocharged engines with hybrid technology.

lizardfolk

Are no privateers driving the Mini anymore? Shame the Mini came back only to run out of money mid season and disappear so quickly...

MadMatt

lizardfolk wrote:Are no privateers driving the Mini anymore? Shame the Mini came back only to run out of money mid season and disappear so quickly...
Maybe few appearances there and there, but no proper program for Prodrive. They seem to be more focussed on automotive stuff than rally, which has been the case for quite some time now. Shame because I believe they had potential. Never liked the Mini which looked like a truck to be honest, but still. It reminds me of Suzuki and their SX4: lot of money invested, a car built, but no will to develop it.

On a side note, Qatar has dropped and Vodafone is in for M-Sport, this is what their car may looks like (don't like the color combination):

Testing for M-Sport will start the 5th of January!

zonk

Kubica testing today in France

MadMatt

Yes, RRC testing for the Jänner rally. WRC test (I should have said) will start the 5th!

Pierce89

No love for Meeke? He dominated the IRC before it dialed back to the ERC. He's also been blisteringly quick in his few chances over the last two years.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

MadMatt

Pierce89 wrote:No love for Meeke? He dominated the IRC before it dialed back to the ERC. He's also been blisteringly quick in his few chances over the last two years.
He has an interesting "rally entered / rally crashed" ratio that no team wants to support I'm afraid.

zonk