MotoGP 2014

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
JimClarkFan

MotoGP 2014

Regulation changes in brief
A redefinition of the rules means there will be a major change to the MotoGP World Championship for the 2014 campaign, giving us two terms referring to machines in the series: Factory and Open.
Electronics
A big change for 2014 sees all machines run an official 'standardised' electronics unit. Regardless of whether they are Factory or Open, every MotoGP bike this year will run the hardware produced by Italian company Magneti Marelli.

The difference comes in the software used. Open bikes will use the programming provided with the ECU, whereas Factory machines can use their own software especially developed for use with the unit.
enlarge

Fuel
The trade off starts with fuel. As a reward for taking the whole ECU package, Open bikes can use 24 litres. Factory machines can only pack a maximum of 20 litres, which is one litre less than they had in 2013.

Engines
The tightening continues with the number of engines permitted in 2014. Open bikes can use up to a generous 12 engines per rider throughout the campaign, while the Factory machines can only run a maximum of five engines per man for the whole campaign, placing further strain on management of the powerplants. Additionally, no development on the engine is allowed during the year.

http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/motorsport ... egulations
Calendar

Grid

Other news
Ducati claiming they will have made step forward this season, they have also (somehow) switched to the open class :wtf:
Marquez breaks leg on moto cross bike and will not be 100% fit for first race
Lorenzo, Rossi and Aleix Espargaro showing good form preseason

Tyres
Tyres this year have been reworked to have stiffer side walls, Lorenzo has done a bit of complaining about that.
Slicks
Extra-soft compound: Green
Soft compound: White
Medium compound: Black (no stripe)
Hard compound: Red
Last edited by JimClarkFan on 18 Mar 2014, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

Huntresa

Re: MotoGP 2014

Should add that Ducati after switching to Open Class angerd Honda so FIM etc decided on making a Factory2 class within the open class which Open Class contestants will be put in if they manage to win, or finish 2nd 2 times or finish 3rd place 3 times, basically being a top contender.

And being in Factory 2 means the regulations are inbetween the Factory and Open Class in terms of fuel, engines etc, so abit lower then but Open Class rules but still much higher then Factory.

eniacon

Its set up nicely to be another cracking season. Plenty to keep your eyes on with the new regs and Open class bikes.
Will Smith be able to beat Espagaro over the whole season?
Anybody care for predicting 1st, 2nd & 3rd in the championship??

1. Dani
2. Jorge
3. Marc

JimClarkFan

Huntresa wrote:Should add that Ducati after switching to Open Class angerd Honda so FIM etc decided on making a Factory2 class within the open class which Open Class contestants will be put in if they manage to win, or finish 2nd 2 times or finish 3rd place 3 times, basically being a top contender.

And being in Factory 2 means the regulations are inbetween the Factory and Open Class in terms of fuel, engines etc, so abit lower then but Open Class rules but still much higher then Factory.
I don't really understand those rules yet, I'm sure I will pick them up as the season goes.

eniacon wrote:Its set up nicely to be another cracking season. Plenty to keep your eyes on with the new regs and Open class bikes.
Will Smith be able to beat Espagaro over the whole season?
Anybody care for predicting 1st, 2nd & 3rd in the championship??

1. Dani
2. Jorge
3. Marc

Too early to tell, but based on form from last season

1. Jorge
2. Marc
3. Dani

Jonix

I hope Yamaha fixes their problems with the tyres. If they don't, I predict Marquez winning again the championship, even if Lorenzo is stronger.

Anyway go Vale! I hope your new riding style will bring you back to the battle for 1st place!

Huntresa

Factory class rules:

Fuel: 20 litres
Engines: 5/season
Engine Design: Frozen
ECU Hardware: Spec Magnetti Marelli
ECU Software: Free
Tyres: Spec

Open Class:

Fuel: 24 litres
Engines: 12/season
Engine Design: Free/Open
ECU Software: Spec/Standard Magnetti Marelli
Tyres: Should have access to a softer compound( Not sure tho )

Factory 2:

Fuel: 22.5 litres
Engine: 9/season
Engine Design: Free/Open
ECU Software: Spec/Standard Magnetti Marelli
Tyres: Should have access to a softer compound( Not sure tho )

Factory 2 is made for Open Class entries, if an Open Class entry wins a race, finishes second 2 times or finishes third 3 times they will be moved to Factory 2 rules.

And today they announced a rule change so Factory teams doesnt need to move to Open Class to benefit from the rules in that class. The rule is that if a Factory entry hasnt won a dry race the year before they will benefit from all the Open Class rules while still being a Factory entry. Which means Ducatis move was unneccesary in hindsight.

Also three wins would mean an Open entry loses the softer tyre.

This is me hopeing teams wont have made dramatic improvements cause otherwise its gonna be a pain to keep a track of who is in what class.

SectorOne

Tough to make a call between Jorge and Marc. I love the way Marc goes racing, looking like he´s about to crash everytime but Jorge is just a weapon.
Just the way he tried to control the last race of the season was quite impressive.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

oT v1

Why why why is there a need for a 3rd class of regulations! I really don't get it, if the Dukes conform to the open class rules then they should be in the open class! Dorna's whole idea was to restrict the factory advantage so eventually everyone would compete in the cheaper formula (rightfully so, it was embarrassing watching less starters than there was points paying positions!), they finally get a major team to make the switch.....but suddenly it's soon? :roll:
The Power of Dreams

Huntresa

oT v1 wrote:Why why why is there a need for a 3rd class of regulations! I really don't get it, if the Dukes conform to the open class rules then they should be in the open class! Dorna's whole idea was to restrict the factory advantage so eventually everyone would compete in the cheaper formula (rightfully so, it was embarrassing watching less starters than there was points paying positions!), they finally get a major team to make the switch.....but suddenly it's soon? :roll:
But Honda was angerd not because they moved but because they during last year and this winter had worked with Magnetti Marelli closely on the standard software that Open Class uses and that they got an advantage thru that and ofc with the engines not being frozen which is a big thing for Ducati that has been lacking other years.

And yes the intent is to more or less move everyone in this direction but when there isnt many factory teams a move to the open class can give a big advantage.

oT v1

Huntresa wrote:But Honda was angerd not because they moved but because they during last year and this winter had worked with Magnetti Marelli closely on the standard software that Open Class uses and that they got an advantage thru that and ofc with the engines not being frozen which is a big thing for Ducati that has been lacking other years.

And yes the intent is to more or less move everyone in this direction but when there isnt many factory teams a move to the open class can give a big advantage.
*I dont think the Duke was ever lacking in power, definitely the driveability though so i can see why they would want the ECU help. Doesnt change their front end/chassis problems either, I dont think Honda had anything to worry about from Ducati.

I agree they may have an unfair advantage from the ECU work (as long as there was an agreement that they would not switch classes before taking up the work) but it seems a bit reactionary from Dorna
The Power of Dreams

gray41

Jorge not happy with the tyres.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

oT v1

(from crash.net)

Interesting, but as all the other open class people are still around the bottom i'm guessing ESP will slip down in the race....
The Power of Dreams

JimClarkFan

A. Esp has been fast all winter, surprising everyone. I dont think he is going to drop down that much but I think others will. Disappointing to see Scott redding in 17th

Huntresa

Its impressive seeing Esparago going faster on last years Yamaha compared to Factory yamaha on this years yamaha.

JimClarkFan

As soon as the Melanie sykes (the new motoGP commentator, who is already annoying me with her inane comments)just before qualifying said that A.Esp was ''faultless all weekend, cool, calm and collected'' it was inevitable that he was going to crash - as it turns out twice.

The new rules have done something and guaranteed another. The rules have brought much of the field closer yet those over worked and overly complex rules make it an almost certainty that bizarre penalties and/or situations will develop over the course of the season which will leave everyone scratching their heads.

Yahama factory are nowhere. Ducati don't seem to have made any significant steps forward. Honda seem to have dropped down a bit too. The satelite honda and yahama teams though have done a decent job to qualify 2nd and 3rd.

Stand out riders from quali are Marq, Bautista and Smith. A. Esp should have been front row but looked like he was trying a little too hard. Smith is proving a lot of people wrong, it was only in the test after the final race last year that we all realised Smith was riding a bike which was greatly inferior to Crutchlows. As far as I am aware Smith and P. Esp are riding identical bikes this year so it will be interesting to see how that battle develops over the season.

Rossi, and I hate to say this because I still dare to hope, needs to retire, and Pedrosa is even looking a bit passed it nowadays as well. It is only the first race of the season, but again it looks like a another data point which in my view suggests that both riders have been on a downward sloping trend in terms of performance.