WRC 2017 Technical Regulation Changes

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
loukayne

WRC 2017 Technical Regulation Changes

This forum is to discuss the WRC 2017 regulation changes. Will they bring in energy recovery and other hybrid systems? What would you like to see happen? What teams will come and go in 2017?

MadMatt

Re: WRC 2017 Technical Regulation Changes

I recon this will pretty much kill private teams in the WRC. What team can afford to develop a car + hybrid system? Probably only VW and Hyundai at the moment, and Toyota if they come. In my opinion the engines are too new to be changed, we only started using the 1.6 turbo engines for 3 years now (will be 6 in 2017).

MadMatt

Discussions will happen in July but preliminary discussions are going towards an identical formula as we have now or a cost reduction, but not on more advanced/developped/costly cars.

FJH1979

I agree with Matt. The extra cost of developing a hybrid and regenerative system for WRC would surely be prohibitive to most teams.

If the average team has the budget to spend on development over and above what the current rules allow, I would suggest a relaxing of the rules pertaining to engine specification to encourage diversity eg. number of cylinders and method of forced induction supercharging, turbocharging or both.

PABLOEING

36 mm in the turbo.....for 2017 i read.