WRC 2015 season

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...

itix

Re: WRC 2015 season

MadMatt wrote:Some data overlayed on the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLVy ... NWjfIaQAvI
That has got to be one of the most annoying co-driver I have ever listened to... he sounds like he is desperate for a sh.. constantly.

I'm surprised it runs so rich on throttle. I was sure the lambda would be closer to 1 on throttle. I am not sure where the data comes from but I am also surprised about the lambda off throttle. Don't R5 cars have anti-lag? Also the turbo boost pressure drops significantly every time he comes off throttle, much more than I was expecting with anti-lag.

EDIT: BTW Matt!
I have a question of odd nature... an engine that's been upside down, are there any special checks done to those?

I'm thinking, sometimes the car gets rolled, and often the engine keeps running. The oil at this point must be on the underside of the pistons being thrown around like crazy and the oil pump must be running dry... is there anything else I have forgotten to think about? It can't be very healthy for an engine to run upside down in my mind.
Massive rally fan... have fallen out of love with F1 yet again and have thus migrated

MadMatt

Well, lambda 0.85 is what you target for best power so it makes sense. Not exactly sure how powerful antilag is on R5 tho so cannot comment but it looks ok to me. Sometimes it is hard to keep exhaust gas energy high even on a WRC car, let alone an R5. The exhaust gas temp raising off throttle is usually a "good" sign something is happening/working!

For sure its not good for the engine to run upside down but its always for a short period of time so usually there is no damage. The cars have a more advanced oil system than a road car. What is more of a problem is when you hot stop the turbo charger as heat soak might ruin it but with the current regulations you are not really pushing the engine to its limit. They are less advanced than the 2L engines they had before for example.

Scorpaguy

Kubica out of Argentina?!?!?

Is this reminiscent of the BMW/Mini/Prodrive fiasco?

Or has Robert decided to return to an M-Sport prep/spec car?

MadMatt

I heard he needs time to reorganize his team. No need to look for drama here :wink:

itix

MadMatt wrote:I heard he needs time to reorganize his team. No need to look for drama here :wink:
He must have been missing some vital thing for competition because he wrote on his FB that the car and parts of the team already was in Argentina.

He is running his own team for the first time so I can imagine there are things that he hasn't experienced before.

I veeeery much doubt it is for financial reasons.
Massive rally fan... have fallen out of love with F1 yet again and have thus migrated

MadMatt

I doubt it is for financial reasons as well, but maybe he's missing people to go there, or hasn't got the people he wants around him to compete at a level he thinks is worth going there. Its a shame because he performed well last year (his best WRC result so far).

itix

MadMatt wrote:I doubt it is for financial reasons as well, but maybe he's missing people to go there, or hasn't got the people he wants around him to compete at a level he thinks is worth going there. Its a shame because he performed well last year (his best WRC result so far).
In terms of actual position yeah, but pace wise he was faaaaar behind.
I guess that wilson had had a talk with him since he said something in the line of "I'm not going to slow down and I don't care if I crash" in the press at which point Wilson's wallet cried blood hahahaha.

He has good experience of Argentina though so it would have helped him. He should have a good position in portugal though with experience from both WRC 2 and last year.

Scorpaguy

"reorganizing?"

Doesnt seem like the kind of call RK would make...seems the sorta guy who would ride a shopping cart down Everest blindfolded.

itix

Scorpaguy wrote:"reorganizing?"

Doesnt seem like the kind of call RK would make...seems the sorta guy who would ride a shopping cart down Everest blindfolded.
I'd agree with you there but I think that he is also smart enough to realize that he won't win the shopping cart race down Everest with only three wheels on the cart. He's probably working his ass off looking for a fourth wheel and a pulse jet for his shopping cart right now.

MadMatt

What a mess this Rally Argentina is. In the first proper stage of the rally (SS2, 50km), this happened:

- Ogier pulled out with engine problems
- Mikkelsen had a high speed spin, and then punctured his front right tyre and broke the suspension
- Ostberg had an engine stall and then struggled to get all the power back
- Neuville hit a rock and damaged his rear left suspension
- Sordo had power steering failure near the end of the stage
- Meeke broke his handbrake
- Paddon hit trouble as well

Conditions are rough but gosh this is destruction derby. Quite ridiculous how the cars are not well prepared really, some of these breakdowns could be avoided!

itix

From a fan perspective this is the greatest rally I have seen in ages.
I am literally chewing my nails for the live power stage this afternoon. Hopefully it goes well for the Citroën team. I have always liked the team as such even though I was never a fan of Loeb.

MadMatt

Last stage now (El Condor) and Meeke is still leading coming to it, its live now!

EDIT: Mikkelsen with a big off, nearly collected spectators!

Holy smoke Neuville did the SAME THING at the same spot!

And Meeke wins his first WRC rally, FINALLY!

A lot of emotions!

itix

Great stuff... So happy with that result. Best rally for ages. Massive shame with neuvile at the end. It wasn't even the wheel that hit the rock that came off.

Massively happy with a one two for Citroën. They deserve this.

Interesting that the rumors say bad fuel injectors was what did the VW's in.

Great great stuff.

itix

Citroën introduce new livery (good looking stuff :) )

They also promise new upgrades to the aerodynamic side of the car, I can't say that I see anything obvious other than the step over the wheel arch, in front of the door. Otherwise it looks identical, hahaha