World Endurance Championship 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Re: World Endurance Championship 2015

Saykas wrote:Image
How can a front engine (front-mid?) car like this with large diffuser and rear wing create enough df at the front to balance out the car with that little splitter? Front splitters just make really good use of ground effect? I am a layman, obviously. But I've always wondered how they set up a car like this to win (BMW GTE cars are the same way, and Corvette....)

SteveRacer

BanMeToo wrote:
How can a front engine (front-mid?) car like this with large diffuser and rear wing create enough df at the front to balance out the car with that little splitter? Front splitters just make really good use of ground effect? I am a layman, obviously. But I've always wondered how they set up a car like this to win (BMW GTE cars are the same way, and Corvette....)
Most (If not all) of these cars have a rear heavy weight balance thanks to the use of a transaxle.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

mikeerfol wrote:It's only for Le Mans though http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121123
If they keep increasing the wheel holes they'll eventually end up with an open wheeler.

djos

Great job by Timo and Mark to put the #17 on pole again!
"In downforce we trust"

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Shame the 17 car was seemingly gifted the win, the 18 car drove the better race.

djos

Cold Fussion wrote:Shame the 17 car was seemingly gifted the win, the 18 car drove the better race.
To finish first, first you must finish. :)
"In downforce we trust"

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

What are you talking about? The 18 car finished second after being swapped out of the lead.

djos

World Endurance Championship 2015

Cold Fussion wrote:What are you talking about? The 18 car finished second after being swapped out of the lead.
Sorry I haven't seen the race yet, you gave me the impression that it was something other than team orders.

Edit: I'm confused, I'm hearing Audi came 2nd and 3rd so how exactly did #17 have it gifted to them?
"In downforce we trust"

Sevach
Sevach

djos wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:What are you talking about? The 18 car finished second after being swapped out of the lead.
Sorry I haven't seen the race yet, you gave me the impression that it was something other than team orders.

Edit: I'm confused, I'm hearing Audi came 2nd and 3rd so how exactly did #17 have it gifted to them?
The race being talked about is Fuji that happened this weekend, not Texas.

Porsche 1-2 followed by the Audi's, both teams inverted their lead cars both the #17 Porsche and #7 Audi had help from their team-mates to finish first and third respectively.

Pierce89

SteveRacer wrote:
BanMeToo wrote:
Most (If not all) of these cars have a rear heavy weight balance thanks to the use of a transaxle.
Actually it's because that front splitter has a diffuser hidden underneath all gte cars use front diffusers.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

bdr529

Good race to watch, would have been nice to see the 18 take the win, but that's life in a 2 car team
Start of race was interesting with all the slipping and sliding, had a little trouble trying to keep up with who was were.
The last hour or so was more like a demolition derby, especially in LMP2 every time I saw the #47 KCMG ORECA car
it was in a shoving match with one of the G-Drive cars, didn't end to well for the #47 though.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

The #17 Porsche just set a time fast enough to qualify for the 2015 Chinese GP and only 0.5 off the fastest race lap....

Pierce89

Jonnycraig wrote:The #17 Porsche just set a time fast enough to qualify for the 2015 Chinese GP and only 0.5 off the fastest race lap....
Yeah 4wd is nice in slower corners.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

I have looked but can't find torrents for WEC. Anyone with a source?

bdr529

tok-tokkie wrote:I have looked but can't find torrents for WEC. Anyone with a source?
Sorry can't help you with torrents, but they have a 50min race review on the FIA WEC youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwU7U7 ... LjDJTnANjw