Perrin

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
PlatinumZealot

Perrin

http://www.perrinn.com/
“I am an engineer from France with extensive experience at the top level of Motorsport. I have carefully built my career in order to have the ability to design and deliver complete top end racing cars and operate them.

I started as a Le Mans LMP1 race engineer at Courage (2002-2004) before joining Williams F1 (2005-2010). I developed a unique experience in Formula 1 combining race engineering and aerodynamic design.

I started Perrinn Limited in 2011 and in 2014 we completed our LMP1 design. This car will race in the near future at Le Mans 24H.

We are now designing our Formula One car compliant with the latest FIA regulations.

I am very excited about developing our global team with followers and partners from around the world! I can’t wait to see our cars racing successfully at the top level of Motorsport”

An Ex williams deisgner who started his own Motorsport company and now seeks to race in the WEC by 2016 and Formula 1 in the future. He has an all access membership where you can view and download his cad designs. What do you guys think of Nicolas Perrin and his ambitions?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

wesley123
wesley123

Re: Perrin

They already had an LMP design for the 2014 season, but couldn't find sufficient funds. I like their approach but sadly enough it doesn't seem to be taking off.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

CAEdevice

He should consider to compete in the KVRC challange in the "Engineering projects" section of this forum :)

MadMatt
MadMatt

Yea its a bit like project Brabham: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=20267

I remember being around his website opening, I remember having access to the files, I could see there was a lot of work done already, they are not kidding around, but what is good on paper isn't always good in reality, and it is hard to get funds for something that isn't real, especially in motorsport.

People with a lot of money won't be too fussed about spending a quarter of a million in something like this even if it fails, but you have to attract that person and make her feel special, you know, like "you can own a team, a car, a brand. Your name will be seen world wide in a very dynamic sport", stuff like that.

I would like to see some aero numbers tho :) I have got the .STL file of the car tho so I will try to run CFD on it and post results here.

RicME85

Yeah I got the stl file when it was originally freely available from the Perrin homepage.

The car looks pretty clean and tidy. Would be interesting to see some numbers from it.

andylaurence

The .STL for the F1 design is available to members now. It's undergone no CFD yet.

RicME85

Anyone a member?

MadMatt
MadMatt

Sorry for the crappy picture, but this is a view of the front wing assembly profiles (found that on internet):

The angle of attack is non-existant, and airfoil profile not really agressive, how can they produce enough downforce to balance the rear?

silente
silente

Matt,

take into account this is Le Mans configuration, so a very very low downforce and low drag one.

Nicolas have given some numbers last year about drag and downforce.

Front Downforce Balance is in Le Mans also pretty low, so prbably they don't need too much downforce from the front aero devices.

Given your CFD skills, it could be interesting to run some simulation on it on your side and see what it comes out! :D
Also if the results match to the ones from Nicolas.

MadMatt
MadMatt

You are right, I always tend to forget a bit about LeMans, for me an endurance racer has to be able to go around "normal" tracks as well, but yes in case of LeMans, you want low drag.

Have you got the aero numbers for this car? CFD, real experiment?

I started to do CFD on it:

I will have results by the end of the week if everything goes well :)

silente
silente

Yes,

the whole "perrinn" team receive regular mails from Nicolas and last year he also provided, on request, more details about the CFD results.
Some of them were also visible on the internet at the beginning, but i have not seen that pictures anymore.

I don´t know if he really wants to share the results, i should ask. I have no problem to share them, just don't want to do something wrong or infringe any rule.

Anyway, they seem to match quite good to some numbers published not too much time ago from Toyota. Drag is really low, if you ask me!!! :)

I am really looking forward to see your results :)

Also, maybe you could use your new device (see your latest blog post) to build something more real...? :D

I would be really keen to ask you a couple of questions about this point as well :D

MadMatt
MadMatt

In my opinion it is of interest for Perrinn to share values, as he claims it is an "open source project". Plus if you want to attract people you have to show a bit of your project, unless the results aren't that good and he wants to catch people by surprise after they jump in.

Just my 2 cents, but if I was to do such project, I would be open about things, and if someone with big $$$ is interested, at least he knows it won't be a scam. You can of course always tweak your numbers, but again it is not in your interest to rob someone.

I will simulate the car at 100mph and see what results I am getting, and will post them here!

I think you guessed right about the device I have got, hopefully I can set everything up by the end of the month but I am starting a new job next week so I will be busy as hell. :wink:

Sabino
Sabino

hmmmmm, i joined but i can only get acces to the stl file of the lmp, no stp file, i get an error, same with some other objects of the lmp,...

MadMatt
MadMatt

Sabino wrote:hmmmmm, i joined but i can only get acces to the stl file of the lmp, no stp file, i get an error, same with some other objects of the lmp,...
I haven't joined, but the files I've got are STL files, so it might be you cannot get the CAD files? Better ask them I think :wink:

Sabino
Sabino

There are actually download links but they dont work, the f1 car is CAD, but the stl is fine for now, id pay 40 pounds for the lmp stl alone lol,...