IndyCar 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
wesley123

IndyCar 2015

As the title says, a thread for the 2015 IndyCar season.

This will be the first year of the promised aero kits, so it'll be interesting what we will see this year.

Chevrolet showed off their 2015 aero package;
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11351 ... tification_
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Cuky

Re: IndyCar 2015

higher res frontal image from Indy facebook page

It will bring some diversity into the field, but I liked how sleek those DW12 cars looked

turbof1

The front wing is interesting, especially since much of its concepts can be dialed back to F1. The regulatory dimensions are very comparable to F1.

The FW "endplate" is almost fully integrated into the wing. We have more or less the same in F1, except that a vertical piece in the endplate area is required. Also note the striking resemblance in how they approach the FW/endplate area in front of the tyre. Curved footplate is also present.

Nicely sculpted sidepods, creating a tunnel between the sidepod and wheel wedge.

also louvres in the RW EP.

A lot of influence from current formula 1.
#AeroFrodo

Facts Only

I'm really looking forward to seeing if the Dallara chassis + Aero Kit + Engine concept can be a successful middle ground between Constructor Series and Spec Series, bringing diversity of cars and technical interest without the huge performance disparities that can occur.

A similar style of rules has really boosted the BTCC (grid size and popularity) over the last 2 years so I really hope this can boost Indycar and maybe get it heading back towards the mid-90's heyday.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

strad

looks like a model to me
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Cuky

strad wrote:looks like a model to me
Those images are 3D renders...but that car was already tested at CoTA earlier this year. Here is a picture of it on the track in camouflage livery

WaikeCU

That front wing reminds me of this:

Tyrrell 1990

matt21

FW17

Really wish the other car would do something about the front end of the side pod and provide it with an undercut

wesley123

Don't think that's an possibility due to the radiator position/side impact structure.

FW17

Thought that was a control piece actually it is not

by the way where are the side impact structures in that dw12?

This sidepod from the original presentation looked lot better

Last edited by FW17 on 18 Feb 2015, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

Wonder what happened to this........maybe Ferrari F1 troubles crashed it

By the end of August we’ll know whether Alfa Romeo has chosen to give its American comeback a bit more glance by competing in the IndyCar competition. It sure looks like it as the American Racer Magazine has claimed this to be the case. Australian magnate Kevin Kalkhoven who currently owns Cosworth (formerly Ford) – the company which is responsible for engines and consorts in the IndyCar – has hinted upon delivering a new kind of engine for the competition. An engine from a manufacturer who has been absent for very long, so says Kalkhoven. This immediately caused every American to think of Alfa Romeo, even though talks would be ongoing with a second manufacturer as well. The participation of a third (motor) brand is already certain for 2015, which is also the year when the DTM will kick off in the US. Perhaps Alfa Romeo sees it big…

A major stumbling stone might be that – as of 2015 – competing manufacturers in the IndyCar must take care of the rebuild themselves; something that’s not over with in a short matter of time. The already competing brands Honda and Chevrolet are nearly finished with their development already, which begs the question; can Alfa Romeo possibly get their car ready in time? The chassis in the IndyCar will still be coming from the Italian firm Dallara. Alfa Romeo was closely involved with this company from Parma for the development of their 4C, which then again makes the Biscione’s return all the more reasonable. Kalkhoven claims a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ is what we’ll hear by the end of August. There might be a return after a brief adventure in 1989, ’90 and ’91. Much like Alfa’s commercial failure with their road cars in the US though, it all boiled down to nothing back then. But Fiat clearly didn’t forget about the IndyCar, as a return was already spoken about back in 2008. Since they took over Chrysler in 2009, Marchionne has mentioned a comeback in (American) motor sports many times already.

wesley123

WilliamsF1 wrote:Thought that was a control piece actually it is not

by the way where are the side impact structures in that dw12?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... pAg8IGWmyr

This sidepod from the original presentation looked lot better

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/ima ... 783014.jpg
Ah yes. I guess the side impact structure is in the floor?

The sidepod intake does seem slightly altered to suit for the coke bottle.

wesley123

Hey, you thought the Chevrolet Aero package was looking crazy? Well, yeah, not so much anymore.

https://www.facebook.com/HondaRacingHPD ... 4993648738

Raleigh

That Honda...

Not bad at all =D>