IndyCar 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
FW17

Re: IndyCar 2015

Formula One stars Alonso, Vettel aren't ruling out future drive in Indianapolis 500

Competing in the Indianapolis 500 is enticing to Formula One stars Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel because of its status as one of the greatest races in motorsports, and both aren't ruling out a future drive.

"There are three races in the world are very attractive: Indy 500, 24 Hours of Le Mans, and the Monte Carlo Grand Prix in Monaco," said Alonso, the 2005 and '06 World Champion.

The 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race is May 29, 2016, but because of their racing commitments that would likely be too soon.

Vettel said he's intrigued about racing on the 2.5-mile oval if not next year than in the near future, but would need to take measures to prepare.

"Just jumping in and doing a good job, oval racing is very different to racing in Formula One,” he said.
https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/ ... 6864897024

Why this all of a sudden?

Spoutnik

Alonso in 2016 with Honda :)

turbof1

I think it's just the general trend of F1 drivers not finding their mojo anymore in the current format of F1, and try to seek challenges elsewhere.

Part of the reason is indeed that F1 has become too easy. It's too slow. However, another part is that the format F1 itself has become monotome: the way the race weekends unfold, are approached and basically going through the exact same procedures race after race can become dull.

Doing a race in a different race series can break through that. Hulkenberg showed this.
#AeroFrodo

Mr. Fahrenheit

turbof1 wrote:I think it's just the general trend of F1 drivers not finding their mojo anymore in the current format of F1, and try to seek challenges elsewhere.
I have to agree and I consider this one of the biggest dangers F1 faces as a popular sport. Put all the engine formula, noise, tyre debates we tech-fans go through to the side. The best drivers in the world allowing their heads to be turned by what could be considered inferior series is a major dilution of the brand and in the eyes of Average Joe's and Jane's a statement that F1 isn't where you go to see the supposed pinnacle of motorsport.

Fixing the sport is as much a case of bringing it back to the drivers as much as the fans.

The thought of Alonso smashing it around the Indy 500 is quite tantalising...

ChrisF1

Alonso won't be allowed to drive in the Indy 500 whilst he is under contract at Mclaren, and I would have thought Ferrari would stop Vettel as well.

Maybe a Hulk, Perez or Grosjean could go and do it, but not a driver in a top line team.

turbof1

Alonso might be allowed due his affiliation to Honda.
#AeroFrodo

ChrisF1

turbof1 wrote:Alonso might be allowed due his affiliation to Honda.
Not sure that McLaren would be too willing to let go of a prized asset to help Honda PR.
McLaren team boss says Juan Pablo Montoya's tennis accident last year, which sidelined him for two races early in the 2005 season, was the beginning of the end of the Colombian's F1 career.

"The accident that hurt his shoulder was very counter-productive," Dennis told reporters at Shanghai. "It took that year out of play and created some tensions, but not any that anyone created other than the circumstances that existed as a result of it."

turbof1

Depends on how far they want to take the partnership. It would be amazing PR for Honda, which might give resources to mclaren in return.

Then again, Ron Dennis is indeed not an easy one... .
#AeroFrodo

FW17

Honda is not as big as Marlboro influence a swap

anyway F1 would need to move the Monaco weekend back by a week to even think of making any F1 drivers dream possible

But it would be cool to see a Mclaren modified/prepped Dallara DW12 blow the field at Indy500 with Alonso just as Montoya did with Ganassi in 2000

bdr529

Not to take anything away from Montoya's achievement, but he did have the benefit of racing on ovals in 1999.

I would love to see more F1 drivers race other types of cars in different series, so it's nice to see the interest from guys like Alonso and Vettel, and to see Hulkenberg win the 24 hour was great,
I personally don't think you'll see to many drivers get a free pass from a F1 team to go race the 500, it's thought to be too dangerous. And I doubt F1 would change the date of the Monaco GP just so driver's could take part in the 500, that would be admitting 2nd best

sgth0mas

It would be cool to see kimi try his hand at it. Or even better...get him back in nascar.

Spoutnik

I'm really delighted to see him maybe with Honda at Indianapolis. =D>
But I think, he need to learning many things, and to practise on oval before no ?

flynfrog

The Indy 500 was a non points grand prix for a while. It used to be common for the grand Prix drivers to show up.

sgth0mas

Spoutnik wrote:I'm really delighted to see him maybe with Honda at Indianapolis. =D>
But I think, he need to learning many things, and to practise on oval before no ?
Hes got a bit of oval practice...though maybe he will get a bigger water bottle next time..lol

http://jalopnik.com/5806620/the-ten-fun ... ries-debut

bdr529

the Indy 500 was part of the F1 drivers championship between 1949-60 but was only ever contest once by a " Grand Prix driver" Alberto Ascari in 1952 in the Ferrari 375 Indy

F1 drivers that raced in the 500 back in the 60's are J. Brabham, J. Clark, G. Hill, J. Stewart, D. Hulme, J. Rindt and P. Rodriguez attempted to qualify a few times