production engines

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
roninho

production engines

Hi there,
in recent years quite some racing series have started using engines based on production engines. So modified production engines.

Now i have read that the Lamborghini GT3 engine is exactly the same as the production car engine. I have also heard that a Ferrari 458 with a production engine won the bathurst 12 hours.

Do you have more examples of engines straight from the production car that are used in racing series? So without any modifications?

roninho

Re: production engines

So nobody got a clue?

matt21

roninho wrote:So nobody got a clue?
Mercedes SLS GT3
Porsche GT3
Corvette GT3
Basically all GT3 are more-or-less standard equipment.
Some of them are also de-tunded due to the size of the restrictor given bei BoP.

tuj
tuj

I guess I'm wondering what you call a 'production' engine? Production architecture? If so, then most of the SCCA national championships have been won with highly blueprinted and optimized 'production' engines. Spec Miata is a series where generally speaking, true production engines are used, nearly as they come from the factory.

J.A.W.

& many racing classes specifically forbid 'production' mills, but Moto 2/WSBK are top-flite exceptions..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

roninho

tuj wrote:I guess I'm wondering what you call a 'production' engine? Production architecture? If so, then most of the SCCA national championships have been won with highly blueprinted and optimized 'production' engines. Spec Miata is a series where generally speaking, true production engines are used, nearly as they come from the factory.
What i mean with a production engine is the engine that is taken from a car allowed to drive on public streets and is not modified for racing (or very limited modified for racing).

So for example engines from one of these cars: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/500-hp-club

I Always figured that the engines one can drive on the public roads are not suitable for racing, but as i said in my initial post i am now aware of at least 2 unmodified engines that have been used in racing.

I guess i'm wondering if i pick an engine from one of the cars as listed above and put it in a formula-chassis and only allow some minor modifications for reliability, would it last for 2+ hours/500 miles racing?
Last edited by roninho on 06 Jun 2015, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

roninho

matt21 wrote:
Mercedes SLS GT3
Porsche GT3
Corvette GT3
Some of them are also de-tunded due to the size of the restrictor given bei BoP.
Thank you.
Question is what is ''more-or-less standard''?

J.A.W.

As purchased from the showroom, but raced with a track specific set-up including extra aero/ride height mods & etc..

andylaurence

Completely standard engine from a Ford Fiesta ST. It even uses the standard intercooler. It's de-tuned from standard and practically lasts forever.

J.A.W.

So A-L, which tuning parameters are derated from showroom standard - for the F-racer application?

matt21

roninho wrote:
matt21 wrote:
Mercedes SLS GT3
Porsche GT3
Corvette GT3
Thank you.
Question is what is ''more-or-less standard''?
Adaption to air-restrictors, different catalysts, changed ECU, different intercoolers, exhaust, coolers
, dry sump etc.
The rules say:
- [Car] to be equipped with an engine used in a production car and made in a quantity of at least 300 units.

andylaurence

Physically, it's identical aside from the air box and exhaust. It runs a life ECU and the map on that is restricted to about 170bhp. I don't know how as that's ford IP. Presumably boost is restricted.

J.A.W.

Ok, thanks A-L, does it also have a ECU fixed rev-limiter?

I ask since derestricting inlet/exhaust often allows more, rather than less - boost..

andylaurence

It's not the rev limiter that restricts performance. It's the map. I believe it's done with reduced boost pressure as you can see the ECU trying to manage the boost pressure on each gear change.