Isle of Man TT 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
bdr529

Isle of Man TT 2015

Not sure how many of the board members followed the races, I thought I'd get some info out there

John McGuinness set a new lap record today in the Senior TT with a lap of 132.701/mph, Also under the year old mark of 132.298/mph set by Bruce Anstey was Fan favorite Guy Martin with a lap at 132.398/mph

Some results and link to the rest http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Info/Results-2015.aspx
Superbike TT ...........(1) Bruce Anstey /Hon (2) Ian Hutchinson /Kaw (3) James Hillier /Kaw
Supersport TT race 1 . (1) Ian Hutchinson /Yam (2) Bruce Anstey /Hon (3) Gary Johnson /Yam
Supersport TT race 2. (1) Ian Hutchinson /Yam (2) Bruce Anstey /Hon (3) Guy Martin /Tri
Senior TT ...............(1) John McGuinness /Hon (2) James Hillier /Kaw (3) Ian Hutchinson /Kaw

Michael Dunlop crash in the Superbike race

Bruce Anstey hits curb at entry to Bray Hill first lap Supersport Race 1
Watch to the end for the slo-mo replay

sgth0mas

Re: Isle of Man TT 2015

I was watching the side car and electric bikes last night. I was wondering what andres125 would think of the electric bikes as hes a big EV fan.

bdr529

It's tough to follow the electric bikes, You can't hear them coming.. :o

Andres125sx

OMG, what a call on the second video :shock:

Unfortunately, here in spain there´s no coverage at all of this asthonising event, not even a mention on any media.

I´ve always wondered what percentage of big balls and what percentage of carelessness is needed to go flat out around there, it´s simply crazy

sgthomas, any link to know a little bit more about those bikes? I know there´s an electric category there for some season now, but I know nothing about them, specs, range, perfomance, weight...

I guess just for a fast lap it´s plausible to build a really fast electric bike, if range is not a concern obviously.

andylaurence

The electric bikes only do a lap, but that's over 30 miles and they are averaging over 110mph. Range is most definitely an issue - that was clearly visible the first year.

bdr529

Here's the results for the electric bikes

2015 SES TT Zero Challenge Results
1 John McGuinness (Team Mugen) - 18:58.743 - 119.279 mph
2 Bruce Anstey (Team Mugen) - 19:02.785 - 118.857 mph
3 Lee Johnston (Victory/Parker Racing) - 20:16.881 - 111.620 mph
4 Guy Martin (Victory/Parker Racing) - 20:37.987 - 109.717 mph

The Winning Bike
Team Mugen's Shinden Yon motorcycle

I like the look of this one from Team Sarolea

Andres125sx

Those bikes are fast!

I don´t like the onboard sound, but from the spectator point of view they sound great, airplane style

J.A.W.

Electric bikes..
One lap wonders, & only 'bout as fast as an ICE bike from 3-4 decades ago.. & they sound like a kitchen appliance..

But - the well skilled riders sure know how to get the best from them, so full credit there..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:Electric bikes..
One lap wonders, & only 'bout as fast as an ICE bike from 3-4 decades ago..
Considering they´re on their first decade of development, while 3-4 decades ago ICE bikes were on their 7th-8th decade, that´s quite good :P

J.A.W.

Not really, since even a hundred years ago, they had to complete more than one lap to win..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

sgth0mas

Andres125sx wrote:Those bikes are fast!

I don´t like the onboard sound, but from the spectator point of view they sound great, airplane style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=22&v=OalxHG7kn3M
The sound was very different. It reminds me of indoor electric kart racing.

Im guessing they all run rechargeable batteries, but whats to stop them from running primary lithiums for more energy density? Maybe they already do this?

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:Not really, since even a hundred years ago, they had to complete more than one lap to win..
Different technology, different problems
sgth0mas wrote:

Im guessing they all run rechargeable batteries, but whats to stop them from running primary lithiums for more energy density? Maybe they already do this?
I´d be surprised if they´re not using lithium batteries

sgth0mas

Andres125sx wrote:
J.A.W. wrote:Not really, since even a hundred years ago, they had to complete more than one lap to win..
Different technology, different problems
sgth0mas wrote:

I´d be surprised if they´re not using lithium batteries
They probably are using lithium rechargeables. I was speaking of primary lithiums...they have a higher energy density but defeat the whole purpose of the green movement.

Andres125sx

Ok I had to do a search about primary lithiums, didn´t know that was its name in english

Yes I think they should be using rechargable, I don´t think changing the battery after each stint would have any sense

bdr529

If guys like McGuinness, Anstey, and Guy Martin want to throw a leg over one of them and take it for a lap around the TT they must be fun, let not for get 1 lap of the TT course would be similar to a 12-15 lap race at a race rack. or enough to get me to work and back on one charge, even if I took the long way

In the 6 years they have been run the E-bikes they have made some big steps,