Roborace

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
mzivtins
mzivtins

Roborace

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015 ... nship.aspx
This new championship called ‘ROBORACE’ will provide a competitive platform for the autonomous driving solutions that are now being developed by many large industrial automotive and technology players as well as top tech universities.
Er, thoughts?

Already i can see one attraction, huge crashes without a human ever being hurt :lol:.

turbof1

Re: Roborace

So, anyone thinking of a Maldonadobot? We could call it the Terminator.
#AeroFrodo

TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

Robot racing.. I don't know what to expect. Doesn't feel very exciting right now.

mzivtins
mzivtins

turbof1 wrote:So, anyone thinking of a Maldonadobot? We could call it the Terminator.
hahaha frickin' robot cars with lazer beams in the roll-hoops!

bauc

The new poster for the Roborace series :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mzivtins
mzivtins

If there are pit stops, these should be fully robotic too.

remove the pit lane speed limit altogether :shock: that would be eye opening!

mzivtins
mzivtins

bauc wrote:http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/con ... obocop.jpg

The new poster for the Roborace series :mrgreen:
HAHAHAHAHAHA i'm dying here! hahaha

turbof1

mzivtins wrote:
turbof1 wrote:So, anyone thinking of a Maldonadobot? We could call it the Terminator.
They could even use the T1000 alloy. If it crashes, it just pulls itself back together. Gives a whole new meaning to "I'll be back". #Iknowtoomuchaboutterminator
#AeroFrodo

bauc

turbof1 wrote:
mzivtins wrote:
They could even use the T1000 alloy. If it crashes, it just pulls itself back together. Gives a whole new meaning to "I'll be back". #Iknowtoomuchaboutterminator
We need to blow up SkyNet ASAP to prevent it :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

turbof1

Oh dear, skynet?

I'm smelling something fishy.

No, in all seriousness I don't see the point of it. The winner will be largely the one who qualifies first, so the one with the fastest processor/reaction time. It'll take the emotion out of racing. I think racing should be left to entities that can fail, as in humans. That makes racing so fun to watch.
#AeroFrodo

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The point of it, presumably, is to encourage the development of technology and algorithms that can be applied to road cars. This is a good thing and to be applauded. Just the sort of race series that should be road car relevant. Leave F1 as a "fantasy" tech series with little/no road relevance.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mzivtins
mzivtins

turbof1 wrote: No, in all seriousness I don't see the point of it. The winner will be largely the one who qualifies first, so the one with the fastest processor/reaction time. It'll take the emotion out of racing. I think racing should be left to entities that can fail, as in humans. That makes racing so fun to watch.
That is an interesting point.

I would hope the rules would dictate that the control systems design was closed loop, so no comms with the other cars around. It would be interesting to see a computed algorythm make a planned movement only to be met with an unforseen variable, such as another car moving in the way :twisted: .

Tbh the Asimo robot has a huge following, like it is some sort of internet instagram dog that people love :wtf:
I could see a car having some kind of inherited personality, all it needs its some way of showing response to a fan and the general public will fall in love with it, bluuurrrrggghhhh

mzivtins
mzivtins

I remember a girlfriend genuinely feeling sorry and sad for Asimo after seeing this:

I think these will be seen as real race cars with personalities and many wont feel anything different than watching a real human.

Real F1 fans are far to intelligent for that though! :twisted:

machin

The idea of driver-less cars seems a bit "pointless" to me... Radio-controlled cars just don't do it for me, and this is just a little step on... however for some reason these japanese fighting robots (or "dancing robots" might be better in some cases) make strangely compelling watching...!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufOz00oYzZM[/youtube]
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Andres125sx

mzivtins wrote:If there are pit stops, these should be fully robotic too.

remove the pit lane speed limit altogether :shock: that would be eye opening!
+1! :mrgreen: