Hybrid World Rally Cars

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
loukayne

Hybrid World Rally Cars

Hey guys

With increasing use of hybrid technologies in all of the top levels of FIA motorsports, it is inevitable that hybrid technology will be coming to the World Rally Championship in the future.

When would you like to see electrical hybrid technology in the WRC?

How would you like to see it used?

Links To 2008 Citroen C4 WRC HYmotion4 Info/Video
http://www.citroenet.org.uk/sport/c4wrc ... -wrc1.html
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc2w88 ... al-20_auto

williammcc

Re: Hybrid World Rally Cars

no i detest hybrid technology in all forms of motorsport especially push to pass buttons in f1....motorsport has been dying a death since the 80's (yes i know thats before i was born)...rallying started to die once they banned group b, rallycross is far to tame now compared to then, even the btcc used to be a lot better racing, formula one imo gets worse every season the biggest mistake being banning refueling as different fuel strategies made for better racing...i think bernie needs to start looking at what was good in f1 and bring it back but sure as long as he's making millions out of it im sure hes not worried

mzivtins

A real benefit to using hybrid technology in rally would be as a torque-fill whilst waiting for the turbo to spool up... :lol:

A problem solved in rallying years ago :lol:

If we are talking about adding electric power to the drive-line, its seems like most of it would be wasted. Torque means nothing on loose surface materials so i would think it would be incredibly hard to apply electronic motor power to a vehicle driven on these surfaces

autogyro

mzivtins wrote:A real benefit to using hybrid technology in rally would be as a torque-fill whilst waiting for the turbo to spool up... :lol:

A problem solved in rallying years ago :lol:

If we are talking about adding electric power to the drive-line, its seems like most of it would be wasted. Torque means nothing on loose surface materials so i would think it would be incredibly hard to apply electronic motor power to a vehicle driven on these surfaces
Electrical traction allows part time front wheel 4x4 which can be much better controlled for torque apply.

Facts Only

williammcc wrote:motorsport has been dying a death since the 80's (yes i know thats before i was born)...rallying started to die once they banned group b, rallycross is far to tame now compared to then, even the btcc used to be a lot better
Yeah everything was much better back in the old days than it is now especially when you weren't even their to watch it.

How we loved watching 3/4 the F1 field stopping at the side of the track with no explanation, or how we regularly had to hear on the news about which rally driver had died this week. I also loved getting up at 2am to watch Indycar on a grainy portable TV and watching a BTCC race with only 3 competive cars.

You'de think that something that has been dying for 30 years would be dead right now, rather than being bigger than ever.

Some things were good in the past but many things were ruddy awful. It's easy for YouTube compilation videos to only show the good bits.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver