2016 Isle of Man TT

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
bdr529

2016 Isle of Man TT

What started out as a good week with good weather and fast times around the course, turned sour yesterday with the death of two racers.
Australian sidecar rider Dwight Beare (27yrs) died in an accident during the first sidecar race and his passenger Benjamin Binns suffered a broken ankle in the accident.

English ride Paul Shoesmith (50) lost his life in a crash during practice

These's deaths fall on the heals of a crash that took the life of Dean Martin (58) last weekend, Martin was competing in the 850cc Classic race at the Southern 100 meet, which also takes place on the Isle of Man

ChrisDanger

Re: 2016 Isle of Man TT

Whenever I see footage from this event I'm dumbfounded that anyone can be crazy enough to race here. I mean, I worked as a bike courier in London but this is next-level type death-wish stuff. Sorry to all witnesses, friends, and most of all family of those lost.

bdr529

Michael Dunlop brakes the all-time lap record on route to taking victory in the superbike race
Dunlop's lap of 16 minutes and 58.254 seconds is the first ever lap under 17 minutes, along with setting the new lap record
Dunlop also set a new 6-lap race record with a final time of 1 hr, 44 m, 14.259 s

Michael Dunlop Isle of Man TT 2016 - Superbike Practice

bdr529

Isle of Man TT 2016 Superbike Race highlights,

Last edited by bdr529 on 12 Jun 2016, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

strad

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hpras

Bit of a close call. Both riders OK.

strad

I just wonder who got scared worst.
Sir Stirling Moss

bdr529

Unfortunately, more sad news from the TT, Two more riders have lost their lives in crashes during Fridays races

Sidecar driver Ian Bell (58), was killed, Bell's son Carl (passenger) was uninjured in the crash

Former Manx GP winner Andrew Soar (32) died following a crash during the Senior TT race

strad

Very sad to be sure. :(
Sir Stirling Moss

J.A.W.

strad wrote:Very sad to be sure. :(
Grim, perhaps.. but for sure, these guys are hard men, & do their thing knowingly..

Any number of sports, such as from sky diving/mountain climbing to surfing, can/& do regularly feature fatal outcomes..
Maybe it is the relative rarity of motorsport fatalities these days, given safety advances, at regular circuits,
- but open roads do have their risks, even when used for general travel, within posted speed limits..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

strad

Every once in a while, we are in total agreement J.A.W..
SuperSports race 2
http://www.stradsplace.com/VIDEOS/2016- ... race-2.wmv
Sir Stirling Moss

MrNoo

Very sad but for a first timer at the meeting this year I would say it is mind-blowing to watch, they are balls out from the off, even diving into the pit lane they are balls out, I couldn't imagine the buzz they get. That aside, it is a wonderful place to go, everyone is so very friendly, spectators, islanders and riders too. Met people from all over the world who came to watch the racing, no sign of any trouble, a truly remarkable event (if you like any form of speed) and would strongly advise anyone who is ever given the chance of going to go, you won't regret it. We sat at the Bungalow on Monday, the Crosby Pub on Wednesday and had some pit passes for Friday, so had a good mix but it was surreal watching the 600's come through the Crosby Pub full chat whilst being sat only yards away eating lunch accompanied with a pint of cider.
Whatever those boys get paid, it isn't enough and it makes other forms of motor sport seem very tame indeed.

bill shoe

MrNoo wrote:Very sad but for a first timer at the meeting this year I would say it is mind-blowing to watch, they are balls out from the off, even diving into the pit lane they are balls out, I couldn't imagine the buzz they get.
What's a good source for boring/practical advice on where to stay or how much it realistically costs? Any links, guides, etc.?

Yea it really makes Bathurst or Pikes Peak look tame. Not easy to do.

MrNoo

bill shoe wrote:
MrNoo wrote:Very sad but for a first timer at the meeting this year I would say it is mind-blowing to watch, they are balls out from the off, even diving into the pit lane they are balls out, I couldn't imagine the buzz they get.
What's a good source for boring/practical advice on where to stay or how much it realistically costs? Any links, guides, etc.?

Yea it really makes Bathurst or Pikes Peak look tame. Not easy to do.
It all depends on how you want to do it, stay in a posh hotel or rough it, ferry or fly, hire a car or walk/use public transport. Homestay seems a popular way of finding cheap accom but we found for the 2 of us it wasn't much cheaper than a hotel.
The Isle of Man TT website has details re accom, a lot will be booked up already for next year.
We stayed in a hotel for 2 nights (£380) and then in a tent at Union Mills 5 nights (£580), we flew over from Bristol which was (i think) £280 each return. We used public transport which is good and walked a lot!!
So it's not cheap but food and cider/beer is reasonable and not overpriced in my opinion.
Never having been to Bathurst or Pikes Peak, which I imagine are awesome I couldnt compare but it's pretty insane.
Met a lot of people from NZ and Aus who had come over (they mostly came for practice and race week)
http://www.iomttbreaks.com/events/isle-of-man-tt-2017
You should find all the info you need from the above link