Dakar 2017

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Dakar 2017

Teaser released

Andres125sx

Re: Dakar 2017

santos

Damn. This Peugeout looks amazing. Hope they have better luck this year.

ME4ME

SteveRacer

I think the Pugs will have some serious competition from Toyota this year. I do not think Mini will be competitive as they do not have the big names in the team. Toyota had Devilliers and added Dakar winners Al Attiyah and Roma. The restrictor change will lower the diesel HP and give the Petrol engines a fighting chance at altitude.

ME4ME

SteveRacer wrote:I think the Pugs will have some serious competition from Toyota this year. I do not think Mini will be competitive as they do not have the big names in the team. Toyota had Devilliers and added Dakar winners Al Attiyah and Roma. The restrictor change will lower the diesel HP and give the Petrol engines a fighting chance at altitude.
I hope you're right. Wouldn't want the Peugeuts to go unchallenged.

Andres125sx

SteveRacer wrote:The restrictor change will lower the diesel HP and give the Petrol engines a fighting chance at altitude.
May you please elaborate? What are the specific changes?

I love Dakar, but I´ve never followed rule changes :roll: :oops:

Steven
Owner

Toyota Hilux Evo
While still conforming to all FIA regulations, the new Toyota Hilux Evo weighs 615kg less (now targeting 1,300kg) than the previous four-wheel drive version of the Toyota Hilux racer. It is also able to come with larger wheels (940mm diameter versus 805mm), offer a broader range of suspension travel, and be equipped with an on-board tyre inflation/deflation system.

The engine and transmission are relocated between the axles. This move has centralised the weight distribution for maximum dynamic performance, while mounting the heaviest components near the bottom of the vehicle has also lowered the centre of gravity.

New regulations for 2017 also allow the Hilux Evo’s naturally aspirated V8 engine to run a wider 38mm air restrictor, now the same diameter as a number of key competitors that benefited from a 1-2mm advantage last year.
Peugeot 3008 DKR
Peugeot Sport has ensured that the car’s 3.0-litre V6 twin-turbodiesel engine is even more driveable for next year’s Dakar, delivering greater torque at lower revs. Adding to the challenge for the engineers is the fact that the latest Dakar regulations have imposed a smaller restrictor on the engine (38mm as opposed to 39mm last year) with a net loss of around 20 horsepower. However, this power is now accessible from further down the rev range, meaning that the car is easier to drive and potentially even faster.

McMrocks

Wasnt Chile used to be a part of the dakar?

SteveRacer

Andres125sx wrote:
SteveRacer wrote:The restrictor change will lower the diesel HP and give the Petrol engines a fighting chance at altitude.
May you please elaborate? What are the specific changes?

I love Dakar, but I´ve never followed rule changes :roll: :oops:
The Pugs were 39mm last year and the Toyotas were 37mm. They are both 38mm now. I had read somewhere this is a 60hp swing. These vehicles (i believe) are only in the 350 hp range so 60 hp is a lot.

SteveRacer

Insightful article from the Toyota team. Should be noted that they are not a true factory team with an unlimited budged.

http://www.imperialtoyota.co.za/article ... port-media

nokivasara

Do you like the "new" Dakar, since they moved to South America?

I've been a fan since the early 90's when it truly was Paris-Dakar and feel that it's evolved too far towards "wrc"-type stages. The adventure bit is missing, even though they have more off road navigation this year the stage times show that there's not much of a challenge for them. If you have a 30 minute lead now it feels like the race is over, with a weeks worth of stages left...

I still watch it though, the trucks are just awesome :mrgreen:

Pierce89

Peugeot simply has a better concept with its lighter 2wd vehicle in the new easier, less "off road" Dakar. Especially since they cancelled every stage that's been muddy this year.

Was cheering for Toyota as I drive the same truck, but they've got a 2wd waiting in the wings. It just wasn't fully developed in time and the team doesn't have the resources to push the concept as far as the Pug.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Andres125sx

nokivasara wrote:Do you like the "new" Dakar, since they moved to South America?

I've been a fan since the early 90's when it truly was Paris-Dakar and feel that it's evolved too far towards "wrc"-type stages. The adventure bit is missing, even though they have more off road navigation this year the stage times show that there's not much of a challenge for them. If you have a 30 minute lead now it feels like the race is over, with a weeks worth of stages left...

I still watch it though, the trucks are just awesome :mrgreen:
According to the spanish TV, this year it´s been first year where the design of the stages relies exclusively on Marc Coma, and his intention has always been exactly that, return the race to its origins with lots of navigation

Not sure if he´s achieved the target, but at least they´re trying to change that obvious problem. Dakar is not WRC, or shouldn´t be at least