MotoGP 2017

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
etusch

Re: MotoGP 2017

Again that was a good race. I think if you want to watch real racing it's motogp.
First time Dovi pass MM, MM fall 0.8 behind him, I thought MM planning finish so and take safe second. But he started to close and passed again. He pushed limit to put a gap to Dovi and this cause a fault which give dovi a race win.

Shrieker

That was a nail biting race with a legendary finish. This is what we can't get in F1. And it has happened in Austria, just this season too ! The last time I think this happened in F1 was something like Monza 1971...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

etusch

Wanderful race wanderful track. What a fight from start to end.

SectorOne

Incredible race!
Zarco keeps impressing massively as well, i wonder what plans Yamaha got for him..
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

etusch

I think all of front runners were impressive. I especially am happy with suzuki. This race prove that they had choosed just wrong engine. Bike is good at turns. In the same time we see that ducati is not good at turns. Dovi was looking rear tyre after the race. He used mediums both side. Front runners were using softs at rear.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Phillip Is G.P. track is a - nowadays fairly rare 'natural' circuit - in being of the fast-flowing, sinuous-undulating type,
which tends to even out the power advantage of the factory bikes, & rewards the riders who get 'scratching'..

A deserved win by M.M., given his 'win it, or bin it' record there, & a disaster for Dovi/Ducati championship-wise..

Ducati's poor showing seems a bit odd, esp' considering the number of race wins they've racked up there, previously..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

J.A.W. wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 00:04
Phillip Is G.P. track is a - nowadays fairly rare 'natural' circuit - in being of the fast-flowing, sinuous-undulating type,
which tends to even out the power advantage of the factory bikes, & rewards the riders who get 'scratching'..

A deserved win by M.M., given his 'win it, or bin it' record there, & a disaster for Dovi/Ducati championship-wise..

Ducati's poor showing seems a bit odd, esp' considering the number of race wins they've racked up there, previously..
Bit odd yeah but looking at the track layout it's all corners and high speed ones and fast change of directions. Ducati always has problems turning and for high speed corners they need to be laying more on the side of the tires to get the bike to turn so that should produce more heat and that should wear out tires faster which would in turn explain Dovi losing out 2 places at the dang finish line!!

etusch

Ducati is title contender this year because of very strong brakes. They have more engine power but not enough to beat Honda or Yamaha. In turns they're worse but they can go a bit higher speed and can brake later and safer. This my observation.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Team Ducati went from zero - at Phillip Island, to hero - at Sepang.

Dovi won from fellow Ducati factory rider Lorenzo, with Zarco 3rd, on the Tech 3 Yamaha - keeping M.M. off the box..
..& thus - from taking the World Championship then & there.. pole man Pedrosa finished 5th,
- but the factory Yamahas failed to impress..

A wet race, & a bit of an anti-climax racing-wise, with M.M. riding cooly (he made a gun start), after practice/Q dramas..

Dovi has 6 wins this year ( as does M.M.), & retains a 'mathematical' chance to win the Championship, but realistically..
..only if M.M. has a disasterous final race..

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

etusch wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 09:23
Ducati is title contender this year because of very strong brakes. They have more engine power but not enough to beat Honda or Yamaha. In turns they're worse but they can go a bit higher speed and can brake later and safer. This my observation.
The brakes are pretty much the same for all teams (provided they choose the same size), Ducati's advantage is the complex aero fairing which provides great stability and confidence during braking.

etusch

It's not just brake disc size matter but what I think about it is their long wheelbase allow them more opening throttle and harder on brakes advantage of lesser stoppie. Of course there's other things affect it. This is my theory

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

etusch wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 14:30
It's not just brake disc size matter but what I think about it is their long wheelbase allow them more opening throttle and harder on brakes advantage of lesser stoppie. Of course there's other things affect it. This is my theory
Longer wheelbase could explain why Ducati's legendary weakness is the mid corner turning.

nacho
nacho

If I remember correctly Yamaha had the longest wheelbase and Honda the shortest

etusch

nacho wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 17:28
If I remember correctly Yamaha had the longest wheelbase and Honda the shortest
I think you are wrong. Ducati has longer wheelbase. Suzuki kept Honda's way. Yamaha and Honda generally best at turns. Longer wheelbase gives harder acceleration. It seems that Ducati power also needs aero help to prevent wheelie. I think because of this longness Ducati uses rear brake to slowdown the bike.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

M.M. took pole at Valencia, & took the lead, 'til Zarco muscled his way past.. a fairly processional race followed,
'cept for some Pommy commentator-hyped drama about Lorenzo not moving aside for his team-mate Dovi for a
4th position (albeit - no way near good enough to gain the points to take the championship), while the factory Yamahas
were well back.. then M.M. took the lead in an ambitious move, & went so so close to losing it.. but saved it..
& re-joined in 5th, then both factory Ducati riders, Lorenzo, followed shortly later by Dovi crashed out..

So, Dani Pedrosa, who'd ridden steadily in 2nd/3rd for the whole race, finally took the lead for the win (his 2nd this year)..
& Honda, after all their dramas in 2017, at least have the Moto G.P. Championship as manufacturers, as well as M.M.'s as rider..

Edit: Added D.P.'s win total.. & fixed typos..
Last edited by J.A.W. on 12 Nov 2017, 15:55, edited 3 times in total.