Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
JonoNic

Re: Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

My major thing is about Alonso attempting green at the Indy 500. One of the most dangerous scenarios at these races are rookies that go in way too hot and hits the wall with 32 other races around him. It was mentioned that he will only do some simulator runs. Is that enough? I know it's not the Las Vages track but it is a risk that they are taking.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Redragon

All of this what it have shown is Vettel and Hamilton are tools. Alo has taken all the protagonism of this Ferrari / Mercedes battle with just racing in Indy, if by august Honda-Mclaren are starting to be competitive Alo will continue been the protagonist of the media, and being in a great position to renew contract or move to other team without compromising much on salary.

f1316

It's great that Andretti can just run an extra car, as a one off, at a race where it makes sense , paint it in the colours of the backer, put a world famous driver in it and thus add to the spectacle.

By contrast, and given we have only 20 cars on the grid, why can't we have guest entries in F1? A third Mercedes or Ferrari (who FYI have said how they'd like to do this in past), again as a one off where it makes sense: let's say Valentino Rossi in a blue and yellow Ferrari at Monza, or Danicka Patrick in a monster green Mercedes at Austin.

Would be great fun; you could make it so the constructor doesn't score championships points and the driver doesn't affect the points of others (I.e. If the guest comes 3rd, the 4th place guy gets the 15 points etc.) and I guess they'd have to think about super licenses - but whatever, sure that could be worked out if the drivers are of a certain quality and it makes commercial sense.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

bdr529

JonoNic wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 16:32
My major thing is about Alonso attempting green at the Indy 500. One of the most dangerous scenarios at these races are rookies that go in way too hot and hits the wall with 32 other races around him. It was mentioned that he will only do some simulator runs. Is that enough? I know it's not the Las Vages track but it is a risk that they are taking.

Alonso will have to attend " Rookie orientation ", as do all first timer's to the 500
I don't know if they have changed it, but it used to be 4 segments of 10 laps each, they start at 195-200/mph and work their way up to 235/mph and the day started with a couple of laps in a street car to get the lay of the land, and some classroom time talking about safety procedures

along with Alonso 3 other rookies will be there Jack Harvey, Ed Jones, and Zach Veach.

JonoNic

bdr529 wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 16:32

Alonso will have to attend " Rookie orientation ", as do all first timer's to the 500
I don't know if they have changed it, but it used to be 4 segments of 10 laps each, they start at 195-200/mph and work their way up to 235/mph and the day started with a couple of laps in a street car to get the lay of the land, and some classroom time talking about safety procedures

along with Alonso 3 other rookies will be there Jack Harvey, Ed Jones, and Zach Veach.
Now that makes more sense. Bring on the race then.

Always find the gap then use it.

Andres125sx

Chuckjr wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 02:12
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _decision/

Hamilton does not know what it's like to start an F1 career in a back marker team as well as over half of ones career in a car that should not win, so his response is pathetically short sighted, imo. How any driver can be non supportive of what Fred is doing is beyond comprehension.
Easy, I´m sure they all actually fully support him, but no driver will let their bosses think they´re jealous, they must look 100% focused on his F1 team :wink:

But Alonso is Alonso, and McLaren 2017 is Mclaren 2017, they all are so far of their real targets neither of them care about missing a GP. Add to that all the advertising they´re getting all around the world, and IMO that´s a marketing masterclass

Andres125sx

Horner said if they´re going to miss MonacoGP they should visit a psichiatrist...

This is Zak Brown reply :mrgreen:
https://twitter.com/ZBrownCEO/status/852962728209776640

adrianjordan

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 11:41
Horner said if they´re going to miss MonacoGP they should visit a psichiatrist...

I really do like this guy.

Can't imagine Ron posting that!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 14:20
Andres125sx wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 11:41

I really do like this guy.

Can't imagine Ron posting that!!
I also can't imagine with Ron Dennis, missing a race (let alone Monaco) or even suggesting it, is even possible...

mertol

f1316 wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 17:09
It's great that Andretti can just run an extra car, as a one off, at a race where it makes sense , paint it in the colours of the backer, put a world famous driver in it and thus add to the spectacle.

By contrast, and given we have only 20 cars on the grid, why can't we have guest entries in F1? A third Mercedes or Ferrari (who FYI have said how they'd like to do this in past), again as a one off where it makes sense: let's say Valentino Rossi in a blue and yellow Ferrari at Monza, or Danicka Patrick in a monster green Mercedes at Austin.

Would be great fun; you could make it so the constructor doesn't score championships points and the driver doesn't affect the points of others (I.e. If the guest comes 3rd, the 4th place guy gets the 15 points etc.) and I guess they'd have to think about super licenses - but whatever, sure that could be worked out if the drivers are of a certain quality and it makes commercial sense.
Maybe because you can't just run the whole lap flat out in F1.

...I know it's not that simple with indy 500 but still it must be way easier than F1.

BosF1

For those interested: here is a live stream from Alonso's Indycar test at Indianapolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXh9uxthFnk

Edit: Don't know why I can't embed the stream in the post, but the link works.

BosF1

That helmet! \:D/

Chanman141

That helmet looks really good, I've also been watching the stream and the general consensus is that he is completely on schedule with his program and looks comfortable in the car.

torpor

The shape of Indy Cars is really awful. But McLaren's Indy livery is so much nicer than this year's in F1.
I love the clear and simple one-color design, the real papaya-orange with the traditional blue accents and the Bruce tribute kiwi.